Greg Hershman

Default On Boat storage tips

I need some ideas / tips on things that can be done aboard for storage -
both for people who just 'week-end' and for the cruisers.

Thanks for any ideas,
CVGreg

JAXAshby

I need some ideas / tips on things that can be done aboard for storage -
both for people who just 'week-end' and for the cruisers.

for food storage, dried food (fruit, veggies, oysters/clams/fish/shrimp/meat)
stores in a fraction of the space as fresh (and costs less to boot).

Also, vacuum packing reduces space needs for food and things like
blankets/clothing/etc.

For fresh drinking water, 2-liter soda bottles filled with tap water can be
stored in all kinds of out of the way spaces.
Steve L

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I need some ideas / tips on things that can be done aboard for storage -
both for people who just 'week-end' and for the cruisers.

for food storage, dried food (fruit, veggies,

oysters/clams/fish/shrimp/meat)
stores in a fraction of the space as fresh (and costs less to boot).

Also, vacuum packing reduces space needs for food and things like
blankets/clothing/etc.

For fresh drinking water, 2-liter soda bottles filled with tap water can

be
stored in all kinds of out of the way spaces.

You will have to empy out the bottles first

You can get 2 litres into a 1 litre bottle if you boil it down first. Then
pop it in the freezer to keep it fresh. When de-winterising next season,
just nuke it in the microwave and add water (dilute to tase).- Don't over
do it or it will become too runny - and off you go. Not only will you be
saving money, you will be helping save the environment too.

Steve

bomar

"Steve L" wrote in message

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

We skip that and buy dehydrated water @ Sam's Club.
Over the years we have found that if we preheat the envelopes of dehydrated
water in our on board propane powered microwave for 19 seconds on 70% power
they reconstitute much faster, and require 17.4% less water to do so.

Harvey Gerst

"bomar" wrote:
"Steve L" wrote:
"JAXAshby" wrote:

For fresh drinking water, 2-liter soda bottles filled with tap water can be
stored in all kinds of out of the way spaces.

You will have to empty out the bottles first
You can get 2 litres into a 1 litre bottle if you boil it down first. Then
pop it in the freezer to keep it fresh. When de-winterising next season,
just nuke it in the microwave and add water (dilute to tase).- Don't over
do it or it will become too runny - and off you go. Not only will you be
saving money, you will be helping save the environment too.
Steve

We skip that and buy dehydrated water @ Sam's Club.
Over the years we have found that if we preheat the envelopes of dehydrated
water in our on board propane powered microwave for 19 seconds on 70% power
they reconstitute much faster, and require 17.4% less water to do so.

I don't have a propane powered microwave, but I did try concentrating on a cup
of ice water, trying to bring it to a boil, using just mental energy. After a
few hours, I wasn't able to get it to a boil, but I did manage to get it up to
room temperature. Maybe the original poster will have better luck than I did.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Steve L

Harvey
You are wasting your time. This effect is purely psychological. Your
difficulties can be boiled down to the half cup theorem. I would like to
tepidly suggest that there are those who see a cup as half full and those
who see the same cup as half empty. With mutual will power and thought
transference, members for each of the two disciplines can combine their
efforts and generate the opposing contents the two halves of the said cup
resulting in a full one. (The rather useful side effect of this phenomenon
is of course the simultaneous creation of the cup of anti-water which is the
main ingredient of the commercially available de-hydrated water crystals we
all keep in our 'abandon ship' grab bags). I think you may find that your
difficulty in raising the temperature can be attributed to the fact that you
have not found a mutual partner of the opposite persuasion with the staying
power, patience and stamina you so quite obviously require. Either that, or
you are just spending tooo much of your life staring at cups of water. Get
some variety in you life. Try a mug or a beaker.

Steve

"Harvey Gerst" wrote in message
"bomar" wrote:
"Steve L" wrote:
"JAXAshby" wrote:

[...]

Matt Lang

"bomar" wrote in message ...
"Steve L" wrote in message

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

What the heck is dehydrated water? Isnt there just nothing left when
you dehydrate water?