Harry Krause

Default Bush fiddles while health care burns

NOYB wrote:

No, we need Association Health Plans. They were passed in the House

last
year...but they've been sitting in a Senate Subcommittee for 16 months

while
the Chairman of the subcommittee figures out how to garner enough votes

make it filibuster-proof when it hits the Senate floor. The National
Federation of Independent Businesses is throwing the majority of its
political clout (rated the #2 most powerful lobbying group) behind their
passage.

The majority of working Americans who have no health insurance work for
sipstick little companies who aren't going to buy into this any more
than they buy into anything else to help their employees.

They will if you create a large enough incentive (via a tax break) for them
to contribute to employees' health insurance

I would not object to a tax break with the REQUIREMENT that small
businesses provide as a result at least a standardized plan for all
employees. No exclusions...everyone has at least decent coverage.

You know of course that local unions are major proponents of the concept
of associated health plans and in fact sponsor many. Nice to see a smal
business association buy into the concept of collective bargaining, if
not for their employees.

As you stated, unions are already able to band together in association
health plans. Small businesses aren't.

They should be allowed.

It's not that we won't buy into the
concept...it's that we are not allowed to because insurance companies
lobbied long ago to keep all insurance regulation under the control of each
state's insurance commission, rather than under the control of the Federal
government (look up the McCarron-Ferguson Act). Congress has the
responsibility to regulate interstate commerce. If I'm buying insurance
from a company in Massachusetts, then shouldn't Congress regulate such a
transaction.

As someone who spent three years as a consultant to a multi-state
insurance company and who had to write all sorts of copy differences to
accomodate vagaries of state law, I couldn't agree more. But we need a
high federal regulatory standard, not the standard some ******** state
might like to impose.

But association health plans are NOT the answer to the enormous problem
we have.

Sure they are. It creates competition on the pricing of health care
premiums by removing the huge competitive advantage currently held by the
insurance companies. It levels the playing field, and allows small
businesses to buy a decent plan like the one *you* are covered by. (I don't
even have a plan like that available to me *at any price*.) It also
prevents insurance companies from ignoring the expensive markets to do
business in and cherry-pick the most profitable markets.

It will help, that is all.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:

[...]

Fine. Let's use the standards that apply to the health insurance that's
currently given to employees of the Federal Government.

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

[...]

Works for me. Same system, too. A wide variety of plans from which to
choose, with the exployer paying a minimum of 75-80% of the average
premium of the five largest plans.

(I was a consultant for nearly 10 years to one of the largest FEHBA plans)

But..what about those who still are not covered for one reason or another.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!
NOYB

NOYB wrote:

[...]

I pay 85% of a grossly inflated premium for coverage. If those premiums
fell, I'd pay 100%.

(I was a consultant for nearly 10 years to one of the largest FEHBA plans)

But..what about those who still are not covered for one reason or another.

*TEMPORARY* Medicaide coverage for the unemployed or those between jobs and
actively looking. Long-term or life-time coverage for the truly disabled
and unable to work.

Harry Krause

NOYB wrote:

But..what about those who still are not covered for one reason or another.

*TEMPORARY* Medicaide coverage for the unemployed or those between jobs and
actively looking. Long-term or life-time coverage for the truly disabled
and unable to work.

It is in society's interest that all its citizens have health care
coverage.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!

P. Fritz

NOYB wrote:

[...]

There is plenty of cheap short term insurance availible....most people
would rather buy toys than insurance...it is their choice......and not the
guvmint's responsibility.

thunder

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:09:46 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Look at Kerry's running mate as one of the reasons for soaring medical
costs. Someone has to pay the multi-million dollar costs of litigation.

Lawyers make easy targets, but they are a very small part of medical
costs. The Congressional Budget Office states that malpractice costs
account for less than 2% of health care spending.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/200...3/prsa0223.htm
basskisser

NOYB wrote:

[...]

Health care insurance costs have exploded under Bush, period.
jim--

"thunder" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:09:46 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Look at Kerry's running mate as one of the reasons for soaring medical
costs. Someone has to pay the multi-million dollar costs of litigation.

Lawyers make easy targets, but they are a very small part of medical
costs. The Congressional Budget Office states that malpractice costs
account for less than 2% of health care spending.

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/200...3/prsa0223.htm

That $24 billion comes right out of insurance company pockets. And the
trend is a rise in frequency and severity in the malpractice law suits and
awards. The insurance companies in turn raise their rates to the physicians
who in turn raise their rates.

The lawsuits certainly do have an impact on everyone.

jim--

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

NOYB wrote:

[...]

Actually they started to soar in 1997 and throughout the remainder of
Clinton's second term. They have actually declined for the past year under
Bush.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1215/csmimg/p21a.gif