Short Wave Sportfishing

Default For Bill, the Evinrude service guy...

Got a question for you.

Somebody I know has a early 2000 200 FICHT like mine. He has about
450 hours on it according to the computer. Lately (like the last
couple of years), he has had a series of problems with the engine -
seems like he will go 5/6 hours trouble free, then an oiling problem.
Another 5/6 hours, electrical problem (stator). Another 5/6 hours,
fuel delivery problem - some will repeat, some will not. The engine
is worked on by a very competent, long time E/J technician, so it's
not the mechanic.

While the comuter is picking up the errors post event, it would appear
that it's not catching whatever is causing these seemingly random, yet
connected events. The computer has been updated three times, so it
would appear it's not that.

Any ideas?

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Billgran

Got a question for you.

Somebody I know has a early 2000 200 FICHT like mine. He has about
450 hours on it according to the computer. Lately (like the last
couple of years), he has had a series of problems with the engine -
seems like he will go 5/6 hours trouble free, then an oiling problem.
Another 5/6 hours, electrical problem (stator). Another 5/6 hours,
fuel delivery problem - some will repeat, some will not.

If the problems are related or re-occur, then the root cause is not fixed.
Unrrelated problems can be aggravating and sometimes motors will have a
series of strange problems, then when fixed, the motor will be fine for
years. It doesn't matter what make, model, or year, all motors can exhibit
multiple problems, even when 5 years old. The computer will only record
certain electrical malfunctions, and should not be considered a "know it
all", a good tech still has to troubleshoot and check the basics, just like
any motor.

Stator problems on that motor are super rare, did the batteries have wing
nuts on them? Too small a capacity?

Sorry, I can't be much help, just make sure the motor is propped for the top
of the rpm range, 6000 rpm, with a normal load, and that the exhaust
pressure sensor has been removed and cleaned recently. I still service
FICHTs like that with over 2000 hours on them, and they are still working
for the commercial crabbers, fisherman, law enforcement, and tow boats.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Don White

Bill...speaking about Evinrudes...
I now have a 1986 Evinrude Yachtwin 6hp long shaft c/w charging system. It
came with the sailboat I purchased in May.
Were these considered reliable outboards? Anything special I should keep an
eye out for?
Was there a Canadian version vs US version?
I would expect the hours would be fairly low as the motor was used on a
freshwater lake in Quebec on the sailboat. ( 6 month season at best)

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:37:16 GMT, "Billgran"

.. .
[...]

As far as I know, and I've heard most of the complaints :), two years
ago, the first problem was a bad computer which was replaced. Then
there was a fuel delivery problem which was fixed. Then the stator
went south which took out the computer and something else - all
replaced. Then, an oil delivery problem which shut down the engine
fixed. Then the fuel pump hose split throwing fuel into the baffle
causing the engine to runaway - the computer reported 5900 rpm - hose
replaced. Then an idle and starting problem - reportedly fixed. Then
a oil pickup problem again with the idle and starting problem just
yesterday.

Doesn't seem connected, but somehow it does seem connected and it all
goes back to when there were some major electrical problems with the
engine.

Also interesting that, because of time constraints, all these problems
have occurred within 10/12% of the total operating time on the motor.

Stator problems on that motor are super rare, did the batteries have wing
nuts on them? Too small a capacity?

No - the battery is large enough

Sorry, I can't be much help, just make sure the motor is propped for the top
of the rpm range, 6000 rpm, with a normal load, and that the exhaust
pressure sensor has been removed and cleaned recently. I still service
FICHTs like that with over 2000 hours on them, and they are still working
for the commercial crabbers, fisherman, law enforcement, and tow boats.

Interesting you should mention that. He has a 14 1/2 x 23 and can't
get over 5400 under load no matter how he trims the boat. He can get
higher RPMs with different props, but no difference in speed or bow
lift. I've run the boat and can't do any better than he can.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Later,

Tom