simon gilder

Default Fuel consumption ? Bayliner

Hi Group

I'm the owner of a nice example 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 2.3 ltr cobra omc
engine.
Now my first thought when i bought this boat just over a year ago was that
it was going to
economical.
The boat has not had a hard life and is all serviced.
With a different prop top speed is 34 mph tops but this is screaming the
engine.
I guess at this speed i'm probably using what 5-7 gals.
My thoughts are now that i cant be doing the engine any good running at max
revs and only acheiving 34 mph tops,so i'm considering selling up and buying
either another Bayliner with a 4.3ltr or 5ltr engine.
My question is i guess,am i going to be in for a nasty shock when i realise
that,that fuel consumption has at least doubled?
I've been told that a larger engine would'nt be working as hard and could be
as economical as the smaller 2.3ltr.
Also,would a larger engine last longer if serviced propably as it would'nt
be working so hard.
Any thoughts or answers would be really appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Simon

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:47:11 GMT, "simon gilder"
wrote:

[...]

Go outboards. While some will disagree, I think they are more
efficient - mine sure as heck are. I have one 200 and twin 225s and
they all run around 5 gph across the usage curve. Plenty of power,
lots of speed and they are much easier to repair.

Then again, I'm not much of an inboard guy. :)

Having said that, the whole concept of large engines not haveing to
work as hard at high revs as opposed to smaller engines is suspect to
me. If you are going to run at full throttle most of the time, then
the bigger engine is working just as hard as the smaller engine.

As to efficiency, a larger engine will be more efficient in terms of
obtaining plane speeds because of the stronger power curve. In terms
of GPH figures, bigger cylinders, more cylinders, more gas. If you
are pushing relatively the same size boat with a bigger engine, you
might gain some efficiency, but not a lot in my opinion. Others may
disagree.

As to service, any engine that is serviced correctly and on a regular
basis will last longer, even a small one. It's really how the engine
is used that causes the problems.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653
Gould 0738

I've been told that a larger engine would'nt be working as hard and could be
as economical as the smaller 2.3ltr.

Anybody with that much excess bologna should open a deli.

Also,would a larger engine last longer if serviced propably as it would'nt
be working so hard.

Sounds like you like to run close to WOT nearly all the time. You stated that
you are disappointed with the WOT speed of your boat and want to go much
faster, if possible. With that kind of use, expect the probable lifespan of
most gasoline engines to be about 1000 hours, tops, and could be less. That
larger engine is usually pushing a larger and heavier boat, so it's tough to
say it isn't "working as hard" as a smaller engine pushing a lighter boat.

Speed vs. fuel economy? Expect to lose economy much faster than you pick up
speed, once you have your boat up on plane. The relationship does not graph as
a straight line, but is almost always represented as an extremely steep and
accelerating curve.

Tony Thomas

Depending on where you boat and what you use the boat for, you might
seriously consider a performance boat w/ an outboard. Used ones are
available for about the same price as a good 20' runabout w/ a V8 engine.
For example. I have $15k in my eliminator. Seats 7, runs 85 mph top end.
Runs 70 w/ 5 adults in the boat
and you can cruise at 60 if you want to all day long. Point is, it will
ski, pull tubes, looks good (to most people), go fast, carry people, tows
well (3400 lbs), rides good (21' tunnel), and is not that expensive to
operate/maintain. Gets right at 3 mpg on an average outing which is a
little running fast, a little cruising at 35 to 40 mph, a little tubing,
etc...
Just a thought.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"simon gilder" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Harry Krause

Tony Thomas wrote:
Depending on where you boat and what you use the boat for, you might
seriously consider a performance boat w/ an outboard. Used ones are
available for about the same price as a good 20' runabout w/ a V8 engine.
For example. I have $15k in my eliminator. Seats 7, runs 85 mph top end.
Runs 70 w/ 5 adults in the boat
and you can cruise at 60 if you want to all day long. Point is, it will
ski, pull tubes, looks good (to most people), go fast, carry people, tows
well (3400 lbs), rides good (21' tunnel), and is not that expensive to
operate/maintain. Gets right at 3 mpg on an average outing which is a
little running fast, a little cruising at 35 to 40 mph, a little tubing,
etc...
Just a thought.

Okay, there, fella. Now...explain the Saturn.

--
Not dead, in jail, or a slave? Thank a liberal!
And don't forget to pay your taxes so the rich don't have to!

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:04:16 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Tony Thomas wrote:
Depending on where you boat and what you use the boat for, you might
seriously consider a performance boat w/ an outboard. Used ones are
available for about the same price as a good 20' runabout w/ a V8 engine.
For example. I have $15k in my eliminator. Seats 7, runs 85 mph top end.
Runs 70 w/ 5 adults in the boat
and you can cruise at 60 if you want to all day long. Point is, it will
ski, pull tubes, looks good (to most people), go fast, carry people, tows
well (3400 lbs), rides good (21' tunnel), and is not that expensive to
operate/maintain. Gets right at 3 mpg on an average outing which is a
little running fast, a little cruising at 35 to 40 mph, a little tubing,
etc...
Just a thought.

Okay, there, fella. Now...explain the Saturn.

It's the 180 gph on his Eliminator - he's got to conserve somewhere.
:)

You guys would appreciate this.

A guy I know is really into high performance boats - he has a 42'
Ocean Performance cat with twin 850 hp supercharged 454s, a couple of
Baja zillion mile per hour jet boats in the 25 foot class and a
freakin' 30 foot cat with a French designed jet turbine pushing one of
those fancy transmisison/outdrive combinations - Jorgenson maybe?

Guess what his everyday car is?

A beat up piece of crap Toyota pickup.

He wife drives a Lexus.

Later,

Tom
Netsock

You guys would appreciate this.

A guy I know is really into high performance boats - he has a 42'
Ocean Performance cat with twin 850 hp supercharged 454s, a couple of
Baja zillion mile per hour jet boats in the 25 foot class and a
freakin' 30 foot cat with a French designed jet turbine pushing one of
those fancy transmisison/outdrive combinations - Jorgenson maybe?

Guess what his everyday car is?

A beat up piece of crap Toyota pickup.

He wife drives a Lexus.

Later,

Tom

That's sweet!

I've got three boats...one of then a turbine (which uses 2 gallon per mile
at speed BTW), and I haul them all behind my 1991 Chevy 1500 Silverado with
225k miles on it. It still has great oil pressure (30 psi), but the exterior
is getting a little ratty...I might be looking for a new tow this winter.

I don't drive the truck everyday anymore...my "day car" is an '03 Acura
TL-S.

Take care.

--
-Netsock

"It's just about going fast...that's all..."
http://home.insight.rr.com/cgreen/

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:28:37 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

Depending on where you boat and what you use the boat for, you might
seriously consider a performance boat w/ an outboard. Used ones are
available for about the same price as a good 20' runabout w/ a V8 engine.
For example. I have $15k in my eliminator. Seats 7, runs 85 mph top end.
Runs 70 w/ 5 adults in the boat
and you can cruise at 60 if you want to all day long. Point is, it will
ski, pull tubes, looks good (to most people), go fast, carry people, tows
well (3400 lbs), rides good (21' tunnel), and is not that expensive to
operate/maintain. Gets right at 3 mpg on an average outing which is a
little running fast, a little cruising at 35 to 40 mph, a little tubing,
etc...
Just a thought.

Your boat uses 105 gallons per hour at 35 mph?

Thats ~~ mumble ~~ figuring ~~ 180 gallons an hour at 60!!!

Damn - how do you fit that much fuel in the boat - space time warp or
something? :)

(I know you mean GPH - just having some fun). :)

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Tony Thomas

Not sure where you got those numbers.
At 3 miles per gallon on an average day of out riding w/ 60 gallons of fuel
capacity. At 40 mph it will get 3 mpg which equates to 13 gallons per hour.
But in that hour I have gone 40 miles. If your boat gets 4 mpg at 30 mph
then you will burn 10 gallons in the same 40 miles but it will take you an
extra 20 minutes to get there.

There are very few boats out there that will get over 4 miles per gallon if
actually checked. Not estimated by saying I cruised all day but actually
checking w/ a gps your distance and then refueling at the end of the day.