Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Scott Bemis

Default sea kayakers using water relaunchable kites to sail with a sea kayak?

Has anyone seen or read of sea kayakers using water relaunchable kites
to sail with a sea kayak?

I am a little hesitant due to all the lines on a kite, in particular
the potential for entanglement with a powered kite. This is the
situation of capsizing in the sea kayak with kite still powered by the
wind. There would be still significant tension on the lines. Larger
kites also generate a fair amount of power. Kiters can be lifted out
of the water and "fly" for a fair distance in the air. As this would
be a somewhat downwind situation, and I do not understand how I could
keep my hands on the paddle, even with the cleats I have on my kayak,
what is done in a broach situation? The stern rudder will not work. Or
does the kite assist in this situation?

After watching windsurfers and kiters on North Maui, I remain somewhat
curious though. The kiter, with a powered kite, could right himself
after being caught in a breaking wave. He had the kite to assist him.
The windsurfer had a more difficult time - a sail full of water.

Scott Bemis
email: