Michael Daly

On 30-Aug-2004, (Scott Bemis) wrote:

Has anyone seen or read of sea kayakers using water relaunchable kites
to sail with a sea kayak?

I don't know anyone who uses a kite that isn't relaunchable.

I am a little hesitant due to all the lines on a kite, in particular
the potential for entanglement with a powered kite. This is the
situation of capsizing in the sea kayak with kite still powered by the
wind. There would be still significant tension on the lines. Larger
kites also generate a fair amount of power. Kiters can be lifted out
of the water and "fly" for a fair distance in the air.

I can't imagine why you'd want to use that kind of kite. If you want
to use those big wing kites, you'd be better off with a windsurfer.

Kites used by kayakers I know usually have only one line and are
smaller. They can't lift you in anything less than a hurricane.
They start with smaller kites until they get experience and then
move up to larger ones. Even the large ones are a fraction the
size of those big wing-type kites. The popular ones are parafoil
type. The most experienced kite kayaker I know uses one that's
only about 30 sq ft.

A lot of folks start with a golf umbrella. You want the non-metallic
frame and double top that sheds excessive wind. Gustbuster is a
popular brand.

As this would
be a somewhat downwind situation, and I do not understand how I could
keep my hands on the paddle, even with the cleats I have on my kayak,
what is done in a broach situation? The stern rudder will not work. Or
does the kite assist in this situation?

If you run the kite line thru a fitting forward of the cockpit, it
will tend to keep you from broaching relative to the wind. You also
want a quick release arrangement so that you can release the kite
in the event of a problem.

Mike