David Ruff

Default New to group

I'm looking to buy my first boat. I'll put in anywhere from $5000 -$6000. I
will use it for fishing off the east coast of Southern New Jersey. I'll need
to trailer it and will be pulling it with V8 Ford Explorer. I do not live
far from the water. I would like good pointers on what to buy. It can be
used but not too old. My brother likes to crab so we'll be doing that to. I
guess I looking for a nice boat to get out not too far in the ocean and
small enough to get back in the mud boggs to crab. I've driven many boats
but they were 300 feet plus!!! I'm retired from the Navy. Just a joke.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:24:56 -0500, "David Ruff"
wrote:
I'm looking to buy my first boat. I'll put in anywhere from $5000 -$6000. I
will use it for fishing off the east coast of Southern New Jersey. I'll need
to trailer it and will be pulling it with V8 Ford Explorer. I do not live
far from the water. I would like good pointers on what to buy. It can be
used but not too old. My brother likes to crab so we'll be doing that to. I
guess I looking for a nice boat to get out not too far in the ocean and
small enough to get back in the mud boggs to crab. I've driven many boats
but they were 300 feet plus!!! I'm retired from the Navy. Just a joke.

You're talking about a very limited budget here. To get a boat, motor
and trailer under $6,000 that is suitable for the Jersey coast is
asking a lot. You'll probably end up looking at boats over 20 years
old with various kinds of maintenance issues to be dealt with. If you
stay strictly in the back bays you can get by with any number of small
open boats in the 15 to 18 foot range but once you start talking about
going outside you need something at least 22 to 25 feet in my opinion,
and that's going to break your budget for a boat in decent condition.

Bill Kiene

Hi David,

I would try to find something that is less than 10 years old if possible.

I know they like fiberglass skiffs for the salt water.

Take your time and don't buy something that needs tons of work unless that
is OK with you.

I am guessing that it would be around 16' and 25hp to 70hp?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"David Ruff" wrote in message

I'm looking to buy my first boat. I'll put in anywhere from $5000 -$6000.

will use it for fishing off the east coast of Southern New Jersey. I'll

need
to trailer it and will be pulling it with V8 Ford Explorer. I do not live
far from the water. I would like good pointers on what to buy. It can be
used but not too old. My brother likes to crab so we'll be doing that to.

guess I looking for a nice boat to get out not too far in the ocean and
small enough to get back in the mud boggs to crab. I've driven many boats
but they were 300 feet plus!!! I'm retired from the Navy. Just a joke.

Harry Krause

Bill Kiene wrote:

Hi David,

I would try to find something that is less than 10 years old if possible.

I know they like fiberglass skiffs for the salt water.

Take your time and don't buy something that needs tons of work unless that
is OK with you.

I am guessing that it would be around 16' and 25hp to 70hp?

If you are talking fishing right off the coast, within a mile or two of
it, and know when to go out, you might like one of these:

http://www.stur-deeboat.com/dory.htm

My guess is that for six large you can get the boat, trailer and a 20 hp
outboard and have a rig that will be suitable for nearshore and inshore
fishing.

These are really nice dories.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Boots Crofoot

Do not get a bow rider they are no good in chop. You can
take water over the bow and it has no place to go but in
the boat. Stay with a solid bow and high free board
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Bill Kiene wrote:

[...]

Run all 8

Welcome, Joe, Please note that there is a lot of good information and lots
of
good people on this list. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of "Off-Topic"
(OT) B.S. Just ignore it! Happy New Year.....

Joe Savard, In Michigan.

Hey Joe...I have had email from other group poster and have been given the same
advice..I do post to some other groups and seen the same things. so i can avoid
the BS with the best of them...but that won't stop me from reading and posting
about something I love to do...Joe
www.mhmarine.com

(OT) THAT MUST BE ALL THE POLITICAL CRAP THAT IS BEING LISTED HERE, AT
LEAST THERE ARE A FEW BOATING TOPICS STILL BEING LISTED

KRYS
www.mhmarine.com

"JLSAVARD" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to this group. I boat out of somerspoint NJ on the weekends

and
own
a 97 240 sundancer. I will be checking this group daily and if there is

input
that I can give I will. Thanks, Joe

Welcome, Joe, Please note that there is a lot of good information and

lots of
good people on this list. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of

"Off-Topic"
(OT) B.S. Just ignore it! Happy New Year.....

Joe Savard, In Michigan.

New DownEast and Express Cruisers Group BostonScubaDiver General 0 November 23rd 03 05:28 PM
New Group BostonScubaDiver General 0 November 18th 03 09:39 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM
Group newbie with a prop question... WildestDream General 4 August 29th 03 05:30 AM