No Spam

Default Difficulty Tracking Straight in Kayak

Yesterday I went kayaking for the first time. I had a Dagger closed
kayak, which we rented from a local place. I had a very hard time to
keep the kayak tracking straight. There were very few rapids, so it was
mostly just slow paddling in smooth water.

I had a very difficult time keeping the kayak tracking straight. It
wanted to turn left.

Just wondering if this is normal or due to bad technique on my part.

I am thinking that next time I will rent a longer open kayak that will
hopefully track better. The rapids were not severe at all (Guadalupe
River in Central Texas).

Thanks,

Stan

Michael Daly

On 30-Aug-2004, No Spam wrote:

I had a very difficult time keeping the kayak tracking straight. It
wanted to turn left.

Just wondering if this is normal or due to bad technique on my part.

Both. WW kayaks are not made to track and they are basically unstable
longitudinally. Once they start to turn, they want to continue. You
have to learn to correct for tracking errors before they start (which
sounds impossible, but once you get the hang of it, you'll know what I
mean).

I am thinking that next time I will rent a longer open kayak that will
hopefully track better.

Better you should learn to handle a regular WW kayak in WW than getting
into a kayak that will be more difficult to handle when conditions
get more serious. Open has nothing to do with your problems.

Mike
Randy Hodges

Stan,

This is a very common problem. Most beginning whitewater kayakers
experience this. In many ways it is like learning to ride a bicycle.
The beginning rider has not learned to make the proper minor
corrections and wobbles down the road. At some point, your body gets
it and you begin to make minor corrections well before you get out of
control. What you need is more "seat time." As you spend time in the
seat, you will steadily get more control. Instruction would certainly
speed your learning curve.

Here are a couple of tips:

1) Paddle in front - Put the paddle in by your toes and take it out at
your hips.

2) Keep the paddle relatively close to the boat and vertical. Wide
strokes are called "sweep Strokes" and are used for correction and
turning.

3) Try to anticipate the turning and correct it as soon as you feel
it. correct it with a wider stroke on the side you are turnig towards
(i.e. - If you are spinning left, take a wider stroke on the left).
Note a harder (more energetic) or multiple strokes on that side will
also work.

4) I would take your WW boat on flat water first. That will allow you
to eliminate the current factor and concentrate on control.

Good luck to you. If you really want to paddle whitewater, stick with
the whitewater boat. It does have a bit of a learning curve but you
will get it eventually.

Have fun!

Randy
KD

Great tips - thanks!

I took the Scupper out in the harbor last night and was all over the place
(partly because of the inconsistent breeze). Are there any good sites on
basic paddling techniques? I'll do a search, but thought you guys might be
able to recommend some.

om...