JGK

Default Speed - GPS or Speedometer

Just curious as to the accuracy between the two.
The speedometer in my boat is a standard speedo nothing special, the
GPS is a Hummingbird Matrix 25 which I just got a week or two ago.
After a few outings I noticed that there is at times a considerable
difference
between the two and other times they seem spot on. Can't quite figure that
one out. Would a head current account for the boats speedometer to appear
at a higher MPH than the GPS?

JohnC

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:52:50 -0400, "JGK"
wrote:

Just curious as to the accuracy between the two.
The speedometer in my boat is a standard speedo nothing special, the
GPS is a Hummingbird Matrix 25 which I just got a week or two ago.
After a few outings I noticed that there is at times a considerable
difference
between the two and other times they seem spot on. Can't quite figure that
one out. Would a head current account for the boats speedometer to appear
at a higher MPH than the GPS?

Yes, the speedometer is relative speed to water, GPS is actual speed
over surface of earth.
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Just curious as to the accuracy between the two.
The speedometer in my boat is a standard speedo nothing special, the
GPS is a Hummingbird Matrix 25 which I just got a week or two ago.
After a few outings I noticed that there is at times a considerable
difference
between the two and other times they seem spot on. Can't quite figure that
one out. Would a head current account for the boats speedometer to appear
at a higher MPH than the GPS?

The GPS is more accurate - the speedo is relative and usually works on
air - much like a pito tube in fact, only in this case, it's water
compressing air in the line. The only real true speedo, is the paddle
type as that works on wheel RPM and doesn't rely on air compression.

Having said that, there shouldn' t be a major difference - more than
10%. Usually, they are pretty close. If you have the air type, take
it off the guage and probe (or motor), blow some air through it and
put the line back. That should bring the two closer together.

You might also want to check if you have the probe type, so be sure
the probe is staying in the water and not moving around a lot - also
want to check the exposed part of the line - I've had a leak in the
line and a probe that moved around.

If it's the paddle type, then look it over and see if there is some
icky sticky stuff creating a problem.

Good luck.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
JGK

wrote:

Having said that, there shouldn' t be a major difference - more than
10%. Usually, they are pretty close. If you have the air type, take
it off the guage and probe (or motor), blow some air through it and
put the line back. That should bring the two closer together.

Thanks I will give that a try tommorrow.

You might also want to check if you have the probe type, so be sure
the probe is staying in the water and not moving around a lot - also
want to check the exposed part of the line - I've had a leak in the
line and a probe that moved around.

The pick up for my speedometer is in the Outboard. Merc 125 has the buil;t
in pick up tube.

Tony Thomas

Your gps will be absolutely accurate (within 0.10 mph)
Your boat speedo will be +/- 10% usually but some are worse than that.
The boat speedo is just a hit/miss on being right. At some speed they are
usually right but all other speeds they will be off.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"JGK" wrote in message
. ..
Just curious as to the accuracy between the two.
The speedometer in my boat is a standard speedo nothing special, the
GPS is a Hummingbird Matrix 25 which I just got a week or two ago.
After a few outings I noticed that there is at times a considerable
difference
between the two and other times they seem spot on. Can't quite figure

that
one out. Would a head current account for the boats speedometer to appear
at a higher MPH than the GPS?

dixon

Dixon "Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Just curious as to the accuracy between the two.
The speedometer in my boat is a standard speedo nothing special, the
GPS is a Hummingbird Matrix 25 which I just got a week or two ago.
After a few outings I noticed that there is at times a considerable
difference
between the two and other times they seem spot on. Can't quite figure

that
one out. Would a head current account for the boats speedometer to

appear
at a higher MPH than the GPS?

The GPS is more accurate - the speedo is relative and usually works on
air - much like a pito tube in fact, only in this case, it's water
compressing air in the line. The only real true speedo, is the paddle
type as that works on wheel RPM and doesn't rely on air compression.

I have wondered if the paddle type is flawed in theory. If you placed the
paddle in uninteruped water, such as say alongside or in front of the boat
it should be accurate except for water current. I've been suspicious about
the water the boat is displacing being accelerated along the bottom of the
hull.

dixon

Wayne.B

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:44:58 GMT, "dixon"
wrote:
I have wondered if the paddle type is flawed in theory. If you placed the
paddle in uninteruped water, such as say alongside or in front of the boat
it should be accurate except for water current. I've been suspicious about
the water the boat is displacing being accelerated along the bottom of the
hull.

====================================

All of the high quality paddle wheel speed units have a calibration
control where you can compensate for hull effects.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:18:29 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

Your gps will be absolutely accurate (within 0.10 mph).

It can be accurate given a correct view of the sky and a constant data
stream, but there are a number of variables in the GPS calculations
that allow for as much as 3 to 4% error. That accounts for the
accuracy of the positional data which can vary from zero to three
meters.

Take care.

Tom

"The beatings will stop when morale improves."
E. Teach, 1717
Matt Lang

wrote:

Just curious as to the accuracy between the two.
The speedometer in my boat is a standard speedo nothing special, the
GPS is a Hummingbird Matrix 25 which I just got a week or two ago.
After a few outings I noticed that there is at times a considerable
difference
between the two and other times they seem spot on. Can't quite figure that
one out. Would a head current account for the boats speedometer to appear
at a higher MPH than the GPS?

Yes, the speedometer is relative speed to water, GPS is actual speed
over surface of earth.

correct and add to it that boat speedometers are often just speed
estimators ... not very precise ..

Matt
Tony Thomas

My experience has show paddle wheels to be more accurate than the pressure
pickup but they are usually still off by a couple mph.

As to the accuracy of GPS. Look up any specs on the units at garmin.com.
Accuracy:
a.. Position: 15 meters (49 feet) RMS*
* Subject to accuracy degradation to 100m 2DRMS under the United States
Department of Defense-imposed Selective Availability Program.

a.. Velocity: 0.1 knot RMS steady state
Velocity is very accurate as it is a simple time shift of three or more
satallite signals.