TC

Default Hydra-Sports question

I'm looking at a 2001 Hydra-Sports 22' LTS with a 200 Evinrude and
would appreciate any comments anyone may have about this boat. I'm
primarily interested in whether it provides a decent dry ride -
particularly offshore in 2-4 ft. seas. I've seen comments in some
forums about some Hydra-Sports having a problem with porpoising and
wonder if this would have the same problem (I know sea trial is best
answer but the boat is currently out of state), Thanks in advance for
any advice.
Dan Krueger

I like, but have never owned, the Hydra Sports. My off-brand 19 1/2' does a
fine job in 2-4 foot seas so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Porpoising is usually a function of the motor weight and/or angle to the
transom. Almost any boat will porpoise if you trim it up too much.

As you suggested, get the sea trial and see for yourself if the combination is
right. A boat that size should have trim tabs that can also improve the
performance.

Dan

TC wrote:

I'm looking at a 2001 Hydra-Sports 22' LTS with a 200 Evinrude and
would appreciate any comments anyone may have about this boat. I'm
primarily interested in whether it provides a decent dry ride -
particularly offshore in 2-4 ft. seas. I've seen comments in some
forums about some Hydra-Sports having a problem with porpoising and
wonder if this would have the same problem (I know sea trial is best
answer but the boat is currently out of state), Thanks in advance for
any advice.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:36:18 GMT, (TC)
wrote:

I'm looking at a 2001 Hydra-Sports 22' LTS with a 200 Evinrude and
would appreciate any comments anyone may have about this boat. I'm
primarily interested in whether it provides a decent dry ride -
particularly offshore in 2-4 ft. seas. I've seen comments in some
forums about some Hydra-Sports having a problem with porpoising and
wonder if this would have the same problem (I know sea trial is best
answer but the boat is currently out of state), Thanks in advance for
any advice.

I believe they may have been discussing the Lighting 230 series boats
with the brackets hanging off the back. I have demo'd a Fishhawk 230
CC which is identical to the 230 CC from Hydra-Sports and they have a
rather odd tendency to porpoise because of the way the bracket is
mounted to the transom - very low - it's not a really great location.
You do get a lot of trim, but I was constantly correcting for the
"bounce". That and the fact that the engine is so low on the bracket
that under power, it's almost over the bottom edge of the cowling.

Just last year, I took a Hydra-Sports 212 CC (also with a 200
Evinrude) out for a customer of a friend of mine to test a new engine
installation. If this is the boat you are talking about, it is a
fairly comfortable ride, but I'm not at all sure I would be talking
about "offshore" in it. You will get wet - I tested this boat in a SW
wind behind Fisher's Island (near Mystic, CT) and it was a wet ride.
The boat doesn't pound and the engine trim keeps the ride reasonable,
but you will get wet.

I wasn't particularly fond of the layout of the boat as it seemed that
everything was about six to eight inches out of "norm" for a CC boat.
I also didn't like the height of the console and I thought the T-top
was cheesy. Hydra-sports also places the rear bait well and "fish
box" at the cornors of the stern with the hatches facing forward - the
hatch fasteners are cheesy and I'd change those right off the bat. I
have a thing about forward facing covers with strap holddowns - they
have a tendency to loosen and fly up. I was not pleased with the
in-console head compartment - it's a tight fit if you are 6'3", 225
lbs.

Then again, I'm picky.

If you do get this boat, I recommend a set of trim tabs - priority
one.

However, if you are not set on this boat, I would move up to the 230
CC even with the bracket problems. A set of trim tabs would take care
of that problem and if you keep your engine flushed, clean and sprayed
with machine oil, you shouldn't have a problem.

Best of all, of course, is to look at the Vector series Hydra-Sports.

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Accident Emergency Question [Three part ] Bart Senior ASA 17 July 9th 04 01:16 PM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Info. on Hydra Sports Ocean Bob General 0 June 9th 04 10:36 PM