BoatBanter.com

-   -   Anyone recognize this object? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/21880-anyone-recognize-object.html)

Marshall Banana August 28th 04 06:20 AM

Also Sprach Dan Krueger :
9ga wire is thicker than 12 ga wire, etc. I don't know of any other products
where smaller is bigger...

Shotguns and fishing hooks...

Dan

--
Give a hungry man a fish and you have fed him for a day, but give him a case
of dynamite and soon the entire village will be showered with mud and water

R.H. August 28th 04 10:16 PM

Dan Krueger wrote in message nk.net...
9ga wire is thicker than 12 ga wire, etc. I don't know of any other products
where smaller is bigger...

Dan

I found out what this one is, it's a gauge for glass.
This is from a glass glossary off the web:

"Light: Another term for an entire stained glass window or a portion
of one with defined boundaries."

So "lights per inch" is the same as sheets of glass per inch. I
measured the gauge and found that each number on that side of it was
indeed a fraction of an inch.

I did some research on the web, and found a historical Pittsburg site
in which there were several references to G.W. Klages on a "Pittsburgh
commodity index" page from 1913. All references to Klages mention
glass cutting, as seen in the link below:

http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-...dno=00awn7766m

Dan Krueger August 29th 04 03:16 AM

Sure enough... And I own a 12 ga and a 20 ga. Unfortunately, the gauge in the
photo couldn't measure the diameter of either one but you are still correct!

Dan

Subject: Anyone recognize this object?
From: Dan Krueger

9ga wire is thicker than 12 ga wire, etc. I don't know of any other products

where smaller is bigger...

Dan

410 verses a 12 gauge perhaps? :-)

Capt. Bill