Doug Kanter

Default Weird Transom Spray

We interrupt the political programming to bring you a boat question.

My 14' Lund aluminum yacht has been exhibiting some odd behavior at the
transom, and the last foot of the sides. Lots of spray. I've seen transom
spray when the motor's been dragging a large clump of weeds, and spray from
the sides when the boat's obviously (but rarely) overloaded. Now, I'm seeing
a combination of both. Absolutely NOTHING about the boat has been changed,
at least not by me. No accessories added or moved, and the motor hasn't
banged against any obstructions, and its angle has not been adjusted in
years. There is no bilge, so I'm positive it's not a matter of collected
water.

The boat's bottom has two strakes, about 8" out from the keel. The keel &
strakes are in perfect condition - no dents, all rivets are tight and
there's no debris snagged between the hull and the metal strips. There's an
aluminum spray strip along each side, also in perfect condition. The problem
seems the same whether the gas tank is full or near empty, which I mention
in case anyone's still wondering about weight issues.

If the hull had somehow become misshapen, perhaps by the trailer bunks, it
seems it would be obvious, but perhaps not. How small a change to hull shape
cause this type of thing?

Matt Lang

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
We interrupt the political programming to bring you a boat question.

Thats ok this time, but lets not make it habbit to fill this group
with boat posts, its already hard to focus on the political discussion
as all these boat posts pop up (why?)

hahahaha

My 14' Lund aluminum yacht has been exhibiting some odd behavior at the
transom, and the last foot of the sides. Lots of spray. I've seen transom
spray when the motor's been dragging a large clump of weeds, and spray from
the sides when the boat's obviously (but rarely) overloaded. Now, I'm seeing
a combination of both. Absolutely NOTHING about the boat has been changed,
at least not by me. No accessories added or moved, and the motor hasn't
banged against any obstructions, and its angle has not been adjusted in
years. There is no bilge, so I'm positive it's not a matter of collected
water.

I have a 14 ft inflatable and been fighting transom spray. Especially
in a light boat I found the weight affects the distance the prop is in
the water and changes spray.... This doesnt seem to be the case with
your boat...

Another source for spray can be damage in the edge of the transom
where it exits the water.

Thats about as much as I can think of ... hope it helps.

Matt
Short Wave Sportfishing

On 23 Aug 2004 20:32:19 -0700, (Matt Lang) wrote:

[...]

Another potential problem maybe the "skegs" - there should be two
running the length of the hull port and starboard (I can't think of
any other word than skeg for these runner type thingies). I had that
happen on a 16 foot Lund years ago.

Perhaps you have changed a little? :)

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
Doug Kanter

[...]

I've finally gained weight after 30 years, but that puts me at 168 instead
of 162, which ain't bad for 6'2". I don't think it's an issue in a boat
rated for 600 lbs worth of people & cargo. :-)

By the way, check the "Speaking of Crustaceans" thread again - I shot you a
message about another book you might like.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:03:06 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

.. .
[...]

Will do. Thanks.

Later,

Tom

DSK

Doug Kanter wrote:
We interrupt the political programming to bring you a boat question.

Hey! Cut it out!

My 14' Lund aluminum yacht has been exhibiting some odd behavior at the
transom, and the last foot of the sides. Lots of spray... ... ... ...
If the hull had somehow become misshapen, perhaps by the trailer bunks, it
seems it would be obvious, but perhaps not. How small a change to hull shape
cause this type of thing?

It's not the hull shape, it's the water that's changed. Scientists
around the world have observed this phenomenon and are very alarmed.
Since all living beings need water, it means the end of life on this
planet is approaching. But the scientists don't want to get embroiled in
a big political discussion, and besides what's the point in worrying
about it?

Regards
Doug King

John Gaquin

"DSK" wrote in message newsiGWc.22158

It's not the hull shape, it's the water that's changed. Scientists
around the world have observed this phenomenon and are very alarmed.

The culprit is dihydrogen monoxide saturation of our lakes, rivers, and near
shore areas.

Check it out.

www.dhmo.org

Doug Kanter

"John Gaquin" wrote in message

"DSK" wrote in message newsiGWc.22158

It's not the hull shape, it's the water that's changed. Scientists
around the world have observed this phenomenon and are very alarmed.

The culprit is dihydrogen monoxide saturation of our lakes, rivers, and

near
shore areas.

Check it out.

www.dhmo.org

I can see this is gonna be a difficult problem to solve. :-)

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:29:54 -0400, "John Gaquin"
wrote:

"DSK" wrote in message newsiGWc.22158

It's not the hull shape, it's the water that's changed. Scientists
around the world have observed this phenomenon and are very alarmed.

The culprit is dihydrogen monoxide saturation of our lakes, rivers, and near
shore areas.

Check it out.

www.dhmo.org

It's really the G'ouald. That damned Stargate will ruin Earth yet.

Later,

Tom
basskisser

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
"DSK" wrote in message newsiGWc.22158

It's not the hull shape, it's the water that's changed. Scientists
around the world have observed this phenomenon and are very alarmed.

The culprit is dihydrogen monoxide saturation of our lakes, rivers, and near
shore areas.

Check it out.

www.dhmo.org

But, that's proven science, you republicans don't have any room in
your brains for science, Rush and Hannity takes to much...

Mercruiser coupler replacement / transom issues Rich General 4 August 10th 04 10:07 PM
transom repair K. Smith General 0 August 7th 04 02:01 AM
transom support Mike Kasiorek General 7 May 10th 04 10:23 PM
Transom cutout size for 130 hp Sylvester Sullivan General 0 April 4th 04 06:01 AM
Transom Height - Dumb Question Alert Michael Gagliardi General 0 August 28th 03 07:31 PM