BoatBanter.com

-   -   lifting a wilderness system ride kayak up over my balcony. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/21743-lifting-wilderness-system-ride-kayak-up-over-my-balcony.html)

mike August 20th 04 04:54 AM

lifting a wilderness system ride kayak up over my balcony.

I live in a house and I want to lift my kayak up on my balcony. How
do I do this? I imagine its done with pulleys to lift the kayak and
you have someone stand on the balcony and when the kayak gets there
they hoist it over the rail. How do you arrange the pulleys? thanks
Mike D

BREWERPAUL August 20th 04 12:07 PM

How high is the balcony, and how strong are you? If it's one story up, a person
on the ground could stand the kayak up on end and help the second person on the
balcony simply lift it up. Once it came up halfway over the railing, it would
tip onto the balcony.

******************************
Got wood?
Check out my exotic hardwood pennywhistles at fair
prices...http://www.Busmanwhistles.com

Wright August 20th 04 02:57 PM

On 8/19/04 10:54 PM, in article
, "mike"
wrote:

I live in a house and I want to lift my kayak up on my balcony. How
do I do this? I imagine its done with pulleys to lift the kayak and
you have someone stand on the balcony and when the kayak gets there
they hoist it over the rail. How do you arrange the pulleys? thanks
Mike D

Pulley systems are really pretty simple. A two or three pulley system would
give you more than enough mechanical advantage to lift something as light as
a kayak. Just go to a hardware store and purchase the double or triple
pulleys and plenty of rope. The principle is that you attach the top pulley
to a solid support then hang your load (your kayak) from the bottom pulley
and simply pull the bottom pulley up to the top pulley. You would also, of
course, have to make a sling out of rope or webbing go around the ends of
the kayak. I would think that the toughest decision for you would be where
to attach your top pulley. Ideally you would need to construct a bracket or
attachment point that is somewhat higher than the balcony. If you only
raise the kayak up to balcony level then you are still going to have to
muscle is over!
Chuck

Dave Van August 20th 04 06:55 PM

"mike" wrote in message
om...
I live in a house and I want to lift my kayak up on my balcony. How
do I do this? I imagine its done with pulleys to lift the kayak and
you have someone stand on the balcony and when the kayak gets there
they hoist it over the rail. How do you arrange the pulleys? thanks
Mike D

http://www.brickgarage.com/pictures/blockandtackle.jpg

Have at it.

Dave Van August 20th 04 06:56 PM

"Dave Van" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"mike" wrote in message
om...
I live in a house and I want to lift my kayak up on my balcony. How
do I do this? I imagine its done with pulleys to lift the kayak and
you have someone stand on the balcony and when the kayak gets there
they hoist it over the rail. How do you arrange the pulleys? thanks
Mike D

http://www.brickgarage.com/pictures/blockandtackle.jpg

Have at it.

You could actually do this alone if need be by rigging the slings around the
kayak on the ground and hoisting it up from the balcony.