curt

Default Catalina 22.....is this a good idea?

Hi all,

I took a few sailing lessons in Miami and really enjoyed it. I have a
friend that has a Catalina 22 for sail and wants $4500 USD for it. It comes
with a trailer and 3 sails and a host of other equipment. Is this an okay
deal?

Here is what I want to do. I want to learn to sail well enough to buy a
blue water boat at some point and do some blue water sailing after a few
years of sailing experience or until I feel I can handle it. Hopefully from
US to Ireland and Scotland. Yes, I know I need to start somewhere, so is my
Catalina idea stupid?

Please take it easy on this newbie. I am wanting to get started on the
right course, but really have no one around that can help me here. I would
be sailing the Catalina in the Sarasota area and maybe Lake Erie to start.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Curt

marklan

I want to say a word about sailing it to England. I plan to sail my 22 to
the Bahamas and to PR and the VI.but I can Island hop party and have a great
time.Have you ever heard about the Davis Strait look it up on the net befor
you deside to go that short passage up the coast Labador and over to
Greenland.Big steel hulled fishing boats go down every year there with full
crews and pumps pumping.The old trade ships stayed on the stream for many
good reasons.Can your Cat do it? with God on your side. yes ! People have
sailed around the world in a lot smaller you 22. The Cat is a great boat I
think the price is a little high but I can't say that, not knowing what year
it is- when was it last painted- how does all the riging look? What shape
are the sails? Does it come with a fair out board-5to a 9hp.The trailer is
it galve or steel all rusted to hell?2500 would be a good buy for the boat
is the rest of the stuff worth the balance does it come with vhf and the
cabin stove, work sink, cushins in good shape have you looked around the
windows to see if they leak ? Are the keel bolts in good shape? The Catlina
is a great boat you will have a great time.Ps you can allway get some thing
biger later. If you feel that you have out grown it and get most of your
money back.Let me know if you ever want to sail to the Bahamas and chase the
brown skined girls down the beach..
"curt" wrote in message
[...]

jt

I don't know what that babble was about but a Catalina 22 is a great starter
boat. The price you mentioned is a good figure as long as the boat doesn't
have any blisters. If it's swing keel make sure that it and it's trunk are
in good shape.

If you do get it or are curious join the c22 mailinglist at sailnet. More
knowledge than you'll ever need.

"curt" wrote in message
[...]

curt

lol "for sail" ... just noticed my typo. Kind of funny. I have no interest
in sailing this vessel across the Atlantic. This is a starter boat that I
hope to enjoy and learn to sail on. When I get comfortable with this one, I
hope to move up to something a little more sea worthy for such a trip.

Anyway, here are the details of the vessel:

1981
Double axle trailer (not sure if it is galv or steel yet)
3 Sails: Main, Jib, 150% Genoa
Pop Top wth heavy duty vinyl cover
Forward hatch
Danforth Ancohor with chain and rode and anchor hanger
Evinrude 8hp longshaft outboard 1993 with nitrogen cartridge lift bracket
Built in fuel tank with gauge
Deep cycle battery
All navigation lights
Windex
Gallery with 2 burner alchohol stove, stainless sink w/manual pump, water
tank and ice box
Cabin cushions
Dinette seating
Life lines and stanchions, bow and stern pulpits
Stainless steel rigging
Large self bailing cockpit
porta potty
2 fenders and dock lines
swim ladder
life jackeds (6)
cockpit cushions
12 volt oscillating fan
depth finder
knot meter
mounted compass
tiller tamer
all lines leading to cockpit
stereo and speakers
solar powered vent
mast up mast raising system

LOA: 21' 6"
LWL: 19'4"
Beam: 7' 8"
Draft: 2' retractable centerboard, up

"curt" wrote in message
[...]

Parallax

"curt" wrote in message
[...]

$3500 would be a better figure for such an old boat with probably
original sails but I wouldnt quibble too much. You arent getting
taken too badly for $4500 and will probably get that much enjoyment
out of it. Do it.

Mark Folse

I looked at several before I bought another boat.

Look in particular for delamination/damage at the bow end deck. The forward
chainplate is just attached to the deck. There''s an after market fix to
resure it to the stem-head.

For a boat that old (and I was looking for a $5,000, and looked a quite a
few), come with a flash light and a willingness to crawl into everywhere to
look for delamination, hull-deck joint problems, and other signs of
weakness.

I don't know how to check the swing keel, trunk, but if it's dry look for
singes of any sort of damage, hazing, cracks, etc. at the head of the
centerboard trunk.

If I'd found a non-project Catalina 22 for $5,000, I'd probalby own one.
There's a huge universe of owners, parts available, etc.

Lake Eire is a shallow, wind-blown lake that can have a short, steep chop.
But there are probably hundreds of Catalina 22s on the Cheasapeake.

I look at boats for two years before I made the leap, and read everything I
could on doing a self-survey. Drop the the Catalina web sites for some tips
from owners of boats your vintage of what to look for.

"curt" wrote in message
[...]

Dieter

Hello there, boats like the Catalina 22, with a trailer costs over ? 6000
here, that's about the same in $!!
Even prices around ? 7500 are nothing special...
The 22 is a nice boat to learn sailing. The pivoting keel has little
problems and if so, to my opinion, are easily repared at low cost.
With a keelweight of around 280 kg, you can't expect a stiff boat. Although
it is a family boat, you should reef rather fast when the wind gets gusty.
I wouldn't doubt buying that boat! You'll have fun!

Greats
Dieter
(sorry for my english... )

Steve Daniels

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:04:48 GMT, something compelled "curt"
, to say:

I took a few sailing lessons in Miami and really enjoyed it. I have a
friend that has a Catalina 22 for sail and wants $4500 USD for it. It comes
with a trailer and 3 sails and a host of other equipment. Is this an okay
deal?

Yes.

The Catalina 22 is one of the most popular sailboats ever. It is
well made with decent sail qualities. With a trailer, if it's in
good shape, $4500 is a good price, and if you decide that the
idea of sailing is better than the reality of sailing (hey, it
happens), you should have no trouble selling it for the same
price you paid.

If you want to sail without a life changing commitment, you can't
go wrong with this deal. I'd be all over it.

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:04:48 GMT, "curt" wrote:

[...]

Can't say if the price is good but it's certainly in the ballpark for a
decent Catalina 22. I'd suggest that you find one that is built later
than '86 - a so-called "New Style" C22. The latest version is the MK II.

We've had a new-style for 7 years and enjoy it a lot. No problems. We
trailer-sail to nearby lakes and the Gulf. It's the perfect size for
trailering and requires less than to 30 minutes to rig. But we think of
the C22 as a day sailor and charter a 30 to 38 footer for weeklong =
sailing
trips. =20

I don't think you can go wrong with a C22.

Good luck,

LB
curt

Thanks so much for all the replies. I will take a look at her.

Curt

wrote in message
[...]

Good news friends !!!!!!Good news friends !!!!!! [email protected] General 0 May 25th 04 06:25 AM
O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM
A Dickens Christmas Harry Krause General 0 December 25th 03 11:30 AM
Good Night, Loco Bobsprit ASA 10 July 3rd 03 01:04 PM
Just when you thought it was safe . . .. Michael ASA 6 June 27th 03 06:08 PM