Doug Kanter

Default Portable gas tank leak

I have a plastic portable gas tank - the type that has a black plate
containing the hose connection and the gas gauge. Just filled the tank and
as I was placing it on the floor of the garage, I noticed some seepage
around that plate. It does NOT seem to be coming from the socket where the
hose connects, but from the gasket between the plate and the tank. The
tank's 4 years old. Is it common for the gaskets to wear out like that? I
tried snugging the 4 screws a bit, but it only helped slightly.

Doug Kanter

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:14:50 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

wrote:

I have a plastic portable gas tank - the type that has a black plate
containing the hose connection and the gas gauge. Just filled the tank

and
as I was placing it on the floor of the garage, I noticed some seepage
around that plate. It does NOT seem to be coming from the socket where

the
hose connects, but from the gasket between the plate and the tank. The
tank's 4 years old. Is it common for the gaskets to wear out like that? I
tried snugging the 4 screws a bit, but it only helped slightly.

I've seen some weird things happen to fuel systems over the years. I

suspect it
has something to do with the ever changing chemicals and proportions

comprising
gasoline. The fact that the tank must flex in use and while carried must

also
play into the mix.

Not surprising, really.

It's particularly annoying because it's next to impossible to find a siphon
made of a material that won't dissolve when gasoline passes through it, and
the filler neck on this tank is located in such a way that it's impossible
to pour without spilling.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 13:35:27 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
It's particularly annoying because it's next to impossible to find a siphon
made of a material that won't dissolve when gasoline passes through it

Any good marine store will sell black rubber fuel hose and replacement
squeeze bulbs. They make excellent siphons for transferring fuel
around. Use the smallest size bulb and hose you can find for
siphoning small quantities.

Doug Kanter

wrote:
It's particularly annoying because it's next to impossible to find a

siphon
made of a material that won't dissolve when gasoline passes through it

Any good marine store will sell black rubber fuel hose and replacement
squeeze bulbs. They make excellent siphons for transferring fuel
around. Use the smallest size bulb and hose you can find for
siphoning small quantities.

After closer observation, it turned out NOT to be the gasket. When the gas
line is disconnected, there's a spring-loaded valve that's supposed to shut,
but wasn't. So, gas was dribbling out the metal tube that normally fits into
the gas line, any time the tank was moved, touched, heated, cooled or even
talked about. The guy from the marina suggested trying to fiddle with the
pins that close the valve, but I decided to pick up the entire assembly for
$35.00. A manifold something or other, a name that makes no sense,
considering what it does.

Fuel Tank Leak Tony Abbott General 14 June 3rd 04 02:37 AM
Fuel Tank Leak Tony Abbott Boat Building 5 June 3rd 04 02:37 AM
portable fuel tank leaking RB General 3 April 29th 04 07:20 PM
Homemade water tanks. Backyard Renegade Boat Building 11 October 27th 03 01:07 PM
Fuel Tank Clog....Please help!! Doug Trowbridge General 3 July 18th 03 02:33 AM