Gould 0738

Default Looks like new furnace time, hot dog!

The diesel furnace on my boat is a 22-year-old Eberspacher (Euro version of
Espar). I've considered replacing it a time or two, but something always comes
up that seems more pressing.......(like last winter's repower).

I'll have to learn to make noises like a guinea pig. Westerbeke has developed a
new "do-it-yourself" installation kit for diesel furnaces, and the local dealer
has asked to serve as a test case. They probably figure that if ol' Fumble
Thumbs can install a furnace with their kit, anybody can. With all details of
the proposed project considered, it was one of those deals no reasonable person
would refuse.

The great furnace race will be on. Will I get the new furnace installed prior
going north for our annual Canadian cruise in a couple of weeks?

I'll post some observations as the project proceeds.

Harry Krause

Gould 0738 wrote:

The diesel furnace on my boat is a 22-year-old Eberspacher (Euro version of
Espar). I've considered replacing it a time or two, but something always comes
up that seems more pressing.......(like last winter's repower).

I'll have to learn to make noises like a guinea pig. Westerbeke has developed a
new "do-it-yourself" installation kit for diesel furnaces, and the local dealer
has asked to serve as a test case. They probably figure that if ol' Fumble
Thumbs can install a furnace with their kit, anybody can. With all details of
the proposed project considered, it was one of those deals no reasonable person
would refuse.

The great furnace race will be on. Will I get the new furnace installed prior
going north for our annual Canadian cruise in a couple of weeks?

I'll post some observations as the project proceeds.

About 25 years ago, I installed a double-door garage opener kit on
behalf of a client in the mail order catalog business. He figured if I
could do it successfully, anyone could. What a mess...pieces and parts
and parts and pieces and an instruction manual translated from pidgin
Spanish into some other language before someone attempted to turn it
into English.

It took me two weekends...but it worked.

When we built our new house, I called a professional garage door opener
company and wrote a check for the install.

--
"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -
Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:09:55 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

The diesel furnace on my boat is a 22-year-old Eberspacher (Euro version of
Espar). I've considered replacing it a time or two, but something always comes
up that seems more pressing.......(like last winter's repower).

Ah...yup! I used to go without heat except in Jan-Feb, but the ol' bones
are wanting a little heat once in a while, even in Sept. I tossed the
Volvo and went with a Dickinson, and have enjoyed it immensely. I'd say
avoid Volvo at all costs! As for a furnace, those water-based ones (as
opposed to forced-air) look nice. And do you have cabin heat from your
engine?

When are you coming north? I'll be on my annual Desolation Sound trip the
first two weeks of Sept - maybe we can get together somewhere?

I've been apologizing and "making amends" to SWMBO ever since I bought a
brand-new outboard for the skiff a mere 6 mo after getting a brand-new
diesel for Far Cove. Now I'm wishing I had the money to replace the
15-yr-old headsail. Hope your SO is more understanding...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36

Chad Hansen

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

I still run into some garages that have that 2 doors to 1 opener kit ..they
are a nightmare.custs dont understand why they need 2 gdo's ..afterall it
has worked for 25 years.........
chad

DSK

Gould 0738 wrote:
The diesel furnace on my boat is a 22-year-old Eberspacher (Euro version of
Espar). I've considered replacing it a time or two, but something always comes
up that seems more pressing.......(like last winter's repower).

So, it stopped working? Is it an air/air or air/water unit?

Wayne.B wrote:
Cripesallmitey, if you lived in any kind of half decent climate, a
furnace would be the last thing on your mind this time of year.

Not if he's thinking ahead.

I have to limit my time in the engine room to no more than 10 or 15
minutes just to avoid heat stroke, and that's with all the blowers on
and the engines cold.

Holy gonzoly, if you lived in a decent climate you could do all your
engine room maintenance with cool nonchalance & savoir faire intact.

BTW I just finished installing a Webasto S-90 hydronic system... just in
time to read about their new "Blue Heat/Blue Cool" system which is what
I *wish* I'd installed. And the kit was terrible (not Webasto's fault,
but the supplier) in everything from the self-contradictory instructions
to the enclosure that had to be heavily modified. OTOH I have no
complaints about the amount of HEAT the thing puts out!

Fair Skies
Doug King

Gould 0738

So, it stopped working? Is it an air/air or air/water unit?

No, it didn't stop working- but it has been tempermental.

Wayne.B wrote:
Cripesallmitey, if you lived in any kind of half decent climate, a
furnace would be the last thing on your mind this time of year.

Not if he's thinking ahead.

It's not unusual to wake in in the morning 'round here and run the furnace 15
or 20 minutes to take the chill off the boat. Even in midsummer.

BTW I just finished installing a Webasto S-90 hydronic system... just in
time to read about their new "Blue Heat/Blue Cool" system which is what
I *wish* I'd installed. And the kit was terrible (not Webasto's fault,
but the supplier) in everything from the self-contradictory instructions
to the enclosure that had to be heavily modified. OTOH I have no
complaints about the amount of HEAT the thing puts out!

Fair Skies
Doug King

jps

In article , gould0738
@aol.com says...

The diesel furnace on my boat is a 22-year-old Eberspacher (Euro version of
Espar). I've considered replacing it a time or two, but something always comes
up that seems more pressing.......(like last winter's repower).

I'll have to learn to make noises like a guinea pig. Westerbeke has developed a
new "do-it-yourself" installation kit for diesel furnaces, and the local dealer
has asked to serve as a test case. They probably figure that if ol' Fumble
Thumbs can install a furnace with their kit, anybody can. With all details of
the proposed project considered, it was one of those deals no reasonable person
would refuse.

The great furnace race will be on. Will I get the new furnace installed prior
going north for our annual Canadian cruise in a couple of weeks?

I'll post some observations as the project proceeds.

Damn, Chuck. A new engine and furnace back to back?

Sellin' a lot of ads?

jps