BoatBanter.com

-   -   Gamefisher 3 HP problem (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/2103-gamefisher-3-hp-problem.html)

Pvakh November 20th 03 02:37 AM

Gamefisher 3 HP problem

Hi,

I wonder if anybody experienced the same problem and found any
solution.

I bought used Gamefisher 3HP outboard in decent condition. It starts
easily and runs great until it gets wet :).

I have Hobie Cat 21 sail catamaran, and the only way to carry outboard
is to put it on some kind of extension about 1-1.5 foot long behind
the rear cross bar. And motor sits pretty low, so it is very easy to
make it splash it over.
And since it has spark plug "outside" (open and not covered) as soon
as wire or plug catches any water motor dies.

It looks like it is just bad design. So I am thinking to buy Honda 2HP
that has all electric stuff covered, but still I wonder if you know
easy way to fix this problem or may be you know how to hide or "dry"
this plug.

Thanks,

Peter.

noah November 20th 03 09:38 AM

Gamefisher 3 HP problem

On 19 Nov 2003 18:37:52 -0800, (Pvakh) wrote:

[...]

It may not be "bad design", Peter. It does depend on what it was
designed to do.

Is it air-cooled?

If it is water-cooled, you could easily come up with a shroud (cover)
to keep the plug and wire dry. You could also try a silicon-spray to
do the same thing.

If you can afford it, buy the "protected" engine, and give yourself
peace of mind.
Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from wrecked.ot-boats.noah.
....as you were. :o)