paul c

Default Anchor Choice

New 19ft boat to be used in lower Ches bay and some muddier rivers. What
type of anchor or even anchors do you suggest.

PC

Butch Davis

PC,

I'd recommend two anchors. A Danforth and a mushroom anchor. In the Bay
where one won't hold the other probably will. The mushroom holds well in
muddy bottoms... mine has three "flukes".... and the Danforth is good in
most other Bay bottoms. The Danforth has the added advantage of serving as
a decent storm anchor, IMO. Make sure you use double braid line for
handling comfort and have enough line for lots of scope.

If you have not taken the USCG Aux or Power & Sail Squadron course I highly
recommend either or both.

Good luck.

Butch
"paul c" wrote in message
New 19ft boat to be used in lower Ches bay and some muddier rivers. What
type of anchor or even anchors do you suggest.

PC

Harry Krause

"paul c" wrote in message
New 19ft boat to be used in lower Ches bay and some muddier rivers. What
type of anchor or even anchors do you suggest.

PC

On a 19 footer in the lower Bay, I'd go with the Danforth, as suggested,
with 10' of chain, and for my backup anchor, a rebar grappling hook
stashed on its side in a laundry basket.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me -
you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept.
17, 2002

Lloyd Sumpter

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:57:05 -0500, paul c wrote:

New 19ft boat to be used in lower Ches bay and some muddier rivers. What
type of anchor or even anchors do you suggest.

PC

Danforths are good for mud, not bad for sand or gravel. A Delta (or clone)
is not quite as good for mud, but better for sand/gravel, kelp, or rock. I
still like my trusty CQR, but it's a bit heavy for your boat.

And as others suggested, don't forget some chain - makes a World of
difference!

And I don't know about rivers where you are, but where I am, the main
problem when anchoring is all the crap on the bottom - be sure to rig a
"tripline" to help retrieve it if it snags on something.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36