Smed

Default Cheap gunwale protectors

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this but... Whenever I haul my
canoe on top of my SUV, before I put it up there I slide on some foam pipe
insulation over the top of the gunwales. This protects my boat (my wife
calls it "our ship") from bouncing and vibrating against the top of the
luggage rack and only costs about $1.75 per tube at any home improvement
store.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Smed

Bill

I cover the rack cross pieces with the stuff and load two canoes side by
side with a length of insulation on the gunwales where the two boats meet.
Works great and is cheap to replace.
I have found that some of this type of insulation will stick to the boat
(leave pieces when boat is removed) and some will not, even though it
*looks* the same, the stuff I got from Boeing surpluss did not stick, but
the stuff from Home Depot did.
2 cents

Bill

"Smed" wrote in message
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this but... Whenever I haul

my
canoe on top of my SUV, before I put it up there I slide on some foam pipe
insulation over the top of the gunwales. This protects my boat (my wife
calls it "our ship") from bouncing and vibrating against the top of the
luggage rack and only costs about $1.75 per tube at any home improvement
store.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Smed

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Smed" said:
insulation over the top of the gunwales. This protects my boat (my wife
calls it "our ship") from bouncing and vibrating against the top of the

Tell her it's not a ship unless it carries a boat.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Real computer scientists despise the idea of actual hardware. Hardware
William R. Watt

my "roof rack" is a couple pieces of rubber carpet underlay rolled around
some old garden hose, taped, and laid accross the roof of the car. cheap
and aerodynamically fuel efficient in that there is very little air flow
between the car and boat.

"Smed" wrote in message
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this but... Whenever I haul

my
canoe on top of my SUV, before I put it up there I slide on some foam pipe
insulation over the top of the gunwales. This protects my boat (my wife
calls it "our ship") from bouncing and vibrating against the top of the
luggage rack and only costs about $1.75 per tube at any home improvement
store.

Just thought I would pass it on.

Smed

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Smed

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Smed" said:
insulation over the top of the gunwales. This protects my boat (my wife
calls it "our ship") from bouncing and vibrating against the top of the

Tell her it's not a ship unless it carries a boat.

--

oh believe me, once she gets her mind stuck to something there is no
changing it...

FS: some cheap boats in Ontario, Canada news Marketplace 0 July 5th 04 02:03 PM
Gunwhales ??? Gary Warner General 24 April 20th 04 01:58 PM
DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! Larry Cruising 18 September 14th 03 11:42 PM
DAMMIT ICOM WHY SO CHEAP?!! Larry Electronics 23 September 14th 03 11:42 PM
Bateau Cheap Canoe....? James W. Sloan Boat Building 20 August 27th 03 09:11 AM