BoatBanter.com

-   -   Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1980-off-topics-win-23-6-page.html)

Florida Keyz November 11th 03 05:22 PM

Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

Why can't the list moderator delete them? Just curious

Harry Krause November 11th 03 05:29 PM

OT: Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

Florida Keyz wrote:

Why can't the list moderator delete them? Just curious

Ker-ripes.

There is *NO* list moderator. The fact that rec.boats is an unmoderated
usenet group has been mentioned hundreds of times.

One more time:

There is NO list moderator here.

Got it now?

NO LIST MODERATOR.

None.

Further, if you are offended by off-topic posts, just put OT in your
filter and you will not see most of them.

I added OT to your header, above. Just say thank you.

--
Email sent to is never read.

Joe Parsons November 11th 03 05:31 PM

On 11 Nov 2003 17:22:53 GMT, (Florida Keyz) wrote:

Why can't the list moderator delete them? Just curious

Easy one: there is no moderator.

And "list" "newsgroup." The two are very different critters.

And the reason for the high percentage of off-topic (non-boating) posts? I
think it starts with the fact that a handful of people here are willing to
indulge their own doctrinaire predilections here without regard to the damage
that it clearly does to the newsgroup.

Joe Parsons

Doug Kanter November 11th 03 06:12 PM

Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

I don't like billboards. I think they are ugly. I don't look at them. Check
Barnes & Noble's web site for a book title: "Not Looking - for Dummies". It
can be done, you know.

Gary Warner November 11th 03 06:50 PM

"Florida Keyz" wrote in message
Why can't the list moderator delete them? Just curious

Shut up.

Wayne.B November 11th 03 10:03 PM

Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:12:45 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I don't like billboards. I think they are ugly. I don't look at them. Check
Barnes & Noble's web site for a book title: "Not Looking - for Dummies". It
can be done, you know.

Doug, I've got some guys coming to your house tomorrow to install the
billboard out front. If it bothers you, just don't look. Same for
the neighbors, they'll get used to it.

Doug Kanter November 11th 03 10:22 PM

wrote:

I don't like billboards. I think they are ugly. I don't look at them.

Check
Barnes & Noble's web site for a book title: "Not Looking - for Dummies".

It
can be done, you know.

Doug, I've got some guys coming to your house tomorrow to install the
billboard out front. If it bothers you, just don't look. Same for
the neighbors, they'll get used to it.

Yeah...OK. Fine. :-) Can I cover it with grapevines?

David Ditch November 12th 03 02:39 AM

Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

After all the crap from today I invoked the filter on my MS outlook

David

Capt. Frank Hopkins November 12th 03 05:58 AM

Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

A moderator can't censor by law. Otherwise, he or she could be 1. sued.
2 imprisoned, or 3 both.

"When we give people power and appoint people to watch them, who is
going to watch the watchers?" ~Plato from The Republic

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter November 12th 03 02:41 PM

Off topics win,, 23 to 6 on this page!

"Capt. Frank Hopkins" wrote in message
nk.net...

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to
assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

A moderator can't censor by law. Otherwise, he or she could be 1. sued.
2 imprisoned, or 3 both.

Really? Try posting anything but the party line at rec.guns or rec.hunting.
In the latter group, I once spotted a message from a guy who said that he
liked to pack his whole family into the car and drive 4 hours to a place
where they'd shoot prairie dogs. I'm not an animal rights activist, but I
was curious about his pastime, so I asked why they shot prairie dogs. My
message never made it. I emailed the moderator. He said it was off topic.

In rec.guns, I once described an incident where an acquaintance of mine was
denied a pistol permit. His neighbors had noticed that he was being a
peeping tom, spying on a woman, the back of whose house faced his yard. He
was using a device made for long-distance viewing. Unfortunately, the device
was a scope mounted on a .223 Remington rifle. Believe it or not, the cops
could not do anything but stop by and yell at him. A few months later, the
dummy wanted a pistol permit. Here, you need to have 3 references sign your
application. He asked the same neighbors who'd called the cops on him
earlier. They called the cops AND the judge who rubber stamps the permit,
and explained that the guy was totally irresponsible with guns. He didn't
get the permit. I used this as an example of someone who's too damned stupid
to be around other people with a weapon.

The message never made it. Nobody busts moderators. Their newsgroups
constitute their own private dick-turf.