Default Because You're so Nice!

I'll share my new chili recipe. It was a conglomeration of what we had in the
house. Couldn't go to the store because of ice roads, so had to make do. Here's
the recipe I ended up with. Great stuff!

Sirloin Steak Chili
Ingredients
" 1 Tablespoon olive oil
" 2 lbs. sirloin steak, cut into cubes
" 1 large yellow onion, chopped
" 2 green peppers, chopped
" ½ lb dry Anasazi beans (dried pinto beans should work)
" 2 cans Campbells Beef Consomme
" 3 cups water
" 1 bottle Bertolli Garlic and Basil Spaghetti Sauce
" 2 cans mild Rotel tomatoes
" 1 4-ounce can green chilies
" 2 tablespoons chili powder
" 2 tablespoons cumin
" 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
" 2 tablespoon oregano
" 4 cloves garlic
" Salt and pepper to taste
" Sour cream, cheese, and Fritos, for serving
Instructions
1. Preheat the slow cooker on high heat while you prepare the remainder of
the ingredients.
2. Put dried beans, consommé and water in crockpot - stir.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the
sirloin with salt and pepper, then add it to the oil and allow to brown,
undisturbed, for several minutes. Flip and brown on the remaining sides.
Transfer the steak to the slow cooker and return the skillet to the burner over
low heat. Use the juice from one of your cans of tomatoes or a small amount (1/4
cup) of water to deglaze the pan. Pour the liquid into the hot pan and use a
spatula to scrape up any brown bits. Transfer to the slow cooker.
4. Add the remaining ingredients (besides those used for serving) to the
slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 8 hours (preferred method) or on high for
4 hours.
5. Serve with sour cream, cheese, Fritos and/or cornbread.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 1:53:09 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
[...]

Sounds good.

I buy a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, pull the chipotles (smoked, dried jalapenos) out and make
sure they don't have any stems. Dump them and the remaining adobo sauce into a small food processor
and run a few seconds until chopped. Put it all in a container in the fridge.

A spoonful of that sauce would have added a bit of heat and some good smokiness to your chili
and to anything else you might think of. A little mixed into pimento cheese is awesome!

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 11:39:24 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

My wife thought it was already too hot. I add chipotle powder once it's in my
bowl. I should have halved the chili powder for her.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

wrote:

[...]

Use Williams chili powder. Salt free, and add the amount of heat you want.

Tim Tim is offline

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 12:53:09 PM UTC-6, John H wrote:
[...]

Analysed and filed for future reference. Thanks for posting it, John...

wrote:

[...]

Same here, John turned me on to it. I like the idea of being able to
control the salt myself. Most Chili Powder is really salty. Badia is
maybe the worst.