Default Mitch McConnell tells it like it is

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 07:48:07 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 1/21/21 9:33 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 08:09:25 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 1/21/21 1:56 AM,
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:17:37 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 1/20/21 5:42 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:12:25 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

John, sorry if this offends you but it is was it is:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/01/19/mitch-mcconnell-says-attack-capitol-provoked-president-trump/4213929001/

I give him a lot of credit for saying what needs to be said.

WASHINGTON – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., issued his
most striking condemnation of President Donald Trump after the attack
at the U.S. Capitol, saying the mob of protesters were “provoked by
the president.”

“The mob was fed lies. They were provoked by the president and other
powerful people, and they tried to use fear and violence,” McConnell
said on the Senate floor, casting a clear shot not only at Trump but
fellow Republicans who backed the president’s efforts to overturn
election results in several swing states.

The king is dead, long live the king.
Mitch is just playing politics. Trump is no longer valuable to him.
Dump him.

The real question is are they going to proceed with a sham impeachment
trial of a former president?

If so, Biden can kiss "unity" good bye. He just has to pray things get
a whole lot better before 2022 or he might be looking at a GOP house
and another politically motivated impeachment himself.

People should really listen to that Dershowitz dissertation on this
mess. He lays out a pretty strong case for why this impeachment is not
only moot but unconstitutional.

He is just a Harvard constitutional law professor with a pretty
impressive trial history tho. What does he know?

Why would it be a sham trial? And Dersh has transmogrified himself
into a Trumpster. That's kind of sad.

He still puts on a compelling case.
BTW he also said if this is truly criminal conduct, charge him. This
belongs in court, not the well of the Senate. They stopped having
jurisdiction when the president's criminal immunity expired.
(yesterday at noon)

Still active lawyers with reputations unsullied by association with
Trump say otherwise.

I will wait to see.
If this is all about Trump not holding elected office, that is up to
the voter, not a bill of attainder from Congress.

Congress can prevent Trump from running again for federal office.

The ball is rolling down the hill. Let's see where it lands. The
charge that the whole proceeding is unconstitutional against a private
citizen is out there and the argument is compelling.
My guess is either Mitch knows he has the votes to acquit and they do
it fast or this ends up across the street.
Being a guy who enjoys watching the SCOTUS deal with issues like this,
I would like to see a decision across the street.
Maybe then we can stamp down this impeachment fever we have been in
for the last 23 years.
We had one presidential impeachment in 200 years and 3 in a little
over 20. It has become a political weapon, not any kind of justice. (I
include Clinton in that).
I will say if this goes forward, I expect to see Biden impeached if
the GOP gets the house back. Not for any particular reason, just
because they can.