Default Why I like Apple, continued.

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 07:10:00 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/30/20 11:57 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 13:29:42 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:11:12 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Took a bit longer than usual, but I heard back from Apple with the
definitive answer that it will be shipping me a replacement iPad. The
analysis was that the charging port was indeed defective, and the on-off
switch was also out of spec, but working. So my iPad will be going to
the refurb factory and a new or refurb'ed unit will be shipped to me
this week and with the holiday, probably arrive next week. My first
Macbook was a refurb from Apple many years ago, and I couldn't tell it
from brand-new, so whatever I get back will be fine, with a new machine
warranty and eligible for AppleCare.

If this were a Dell or HP unit, I'd still be on the phone with the tech
guy reading off a script from Pakistan or India.

===

I've had very good results with HP equipment; rarely needing service
of any kind. Dell, not so much.

Dunno, I used to be against Dell but that was what the country club
used and I got all the old ones they threw away every few years.
I beat the snot out of them. Two lived outside for years and one
laptop is actually on the bar out there. (Runs the slide show in the
Bud Light sign) They ain't broke. Nor is the monitor over the fridge
that was there for Irma. The hardware seems pretty solid.

Your demands on the hardware seem pretty tame.

A lot of my machines run 24/7 and the ones I am talking about are
running in a pretty harsh environment. Neither are in environmentally
controlled space and the one on the bar is actually living outside.
I am not sure what worse use there could be.
The machine itself does not know whether it is finding the cure for
cancer, computing satellite maneuvers or just playing "Alice's
Restaurant".

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 07:34:11 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

Took a bit longer than usual, but I heard back from Apple with the
definitive answer that it will be shipping me a replacement iPad. The
analysis was that the charging port was indeed defective, and the on-off
switch was also out of spec, but working. So my iPad will be going to
the refurb factory and a new or refurb'ed unit will be shipped to me
this week and with the holiday, probably arrive next week. My first
Macbook was a refurb from Apple many years ago, and I couldn't tell it
from brand-new, so whatever I get back will be fine, with a new
machine warranty and eligible for AppleCare.

If this were a Dell or HP unit, I'd still be on the phone with the tech
guy reading off a script from Pakistan or India.

===

I've had very good results with HP equipment; rarely needing service
of any kind.Â* Dell, not so much.

I have had some issues with HP gear and tech support over the years. If
I buy another printer, it won't be an HP. Dell tech support is pretty
terrible.

Replace iPad is supposedly on a FEDEX truck for delivery to me today.
With Dell or HP, I'd still be on hold with the tech rep in Pakistan
while he looks for answers in his scripts.

Dunno, I have never used HP or Dell tech support.
I will say Verizon support is less than useless. I am sending that LTE
router back. I never did find anyone who could even tell me what the
external antenna did (LTE or WiFi).
The process is ridiculous. At every step I needed to get my wife and
her phone involved since her name is on the account. In the end it was
just a bunch of blank texts and I am still not sure what they were
trying to tell me. I was supposed to be getting a call back from 3d
level support.

Level 1 was
"Is it plugged in"?
"Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in"?

Level 2 was
"Do a factory reset". (stick a paper clip in that little hole)

I am still not sure what level 3 was going to be because we called the
business office and got an RMA/shipping label after screwing around
for 3 hours and never getting my call back. Nobody seemed to have any
actual knowledge about this router beyond what was in the
documentation online and that is pretty sparse. I am guessing LTE Home
is not a priority with them until 5G shows up. On my street, that may
be many years from now.

wrote:

[...]

you might want to try a wifi hotspot. T-Mobile and Verizon say there is
good LTE in your area. Even when there was weak signal (low bandwidth)
sometimes when traveling, we still had enough to stream prime or netflix.

On 12/31/20 10:17 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 07:10:00 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I was referring to usage, not environment, as in large database sorting
and searching, manipulating large, multi-layer graphics, video
production, et cetera.

--
Bozo Binned: Herring, Bert Robbins, JackGoff 452471atgmail.com,
Just-AN-Asshole, Tim, and Gunboy Alex, aka the Gang of Dull, Witless,

wrote:

[...]

I was away from my place for more than two years
Its weird

The things i worried about are ok

I.E.
Got my tv, computer and landline to power up

I was impressed because I thought they would all be shot on account of the frequent thunderstorms

well the landline still works, but the message indicator flashes 28, and will not clear. Still getting calls ok and I can chat if I need to, but the battery dies fast and no one can leave a message because I cannot clear or play the old messages

The laptop is weirdly warped at the bottom, I assume from heat and humidity....but works just fine

I forgot my mailbox number and had trouble finding it

The house looked crazy

There was a lot od old food in the fridge which kind of proves i meant to return earlier but that never happened,

There are two onions that grew long roots on the counter

Smoke alarms need new batteries and one toilet is running

I ordered amazon whole foods
Experiment. it worked i am saved

They say my supermarket closed, tho there is apparently an aldi that opened in the other direction

I cant carry groceries right now, my Rib and back hurts so bad i barely carried my
Knapsack to the door

Security alarm was off

There are weird things in the house i don't recognize, like placemats.. Did someone break in and leave their placemats

I don’t have a table

There is also oven ceramic cleaner here

I don’t have a ceramic range. Did someone break in intending to clean my stovetop only to find it isn't ceramic

electronic appliances last longer than expected

mk5000

Judge Michael Schneider: So you want to look at his juvenile record, assuming that he has one, to determine if that's true.

[Serena nods]

Judge Michael Schneider: I'll tell you what. I'll review the file in camera.. If I find anything relevant, I'll make it available to you. --Law & Order (TV Series)
Vendetta (2004)

wrote:

[...]

Been away two years? What were you convicted of?

wrote:

[...]

I doubt a hot spot will be any better than what I have since it is the
same signal.
I am just going to plug along with my DSL until something better comes
along. Comcast still sucks. I was over at my FIL's today and the
internet was down. It came back after a while but that is unacceptable
to me.
At least my DSL is solid. If Century Link could get me up around 25, I
would be happy. That was the best LTE ever saw when it was working
well.

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:33:41 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 12/31/20 10:17 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 07:10:00 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That might affect speed but it doesn't change reliability much and
that was what we were talking about.
I do crunch video on this machine from time to time but it is not a
priority. BTW if you are really doing that sort of thing SSDs are fast
but you are giving up reliability. The MTBF on SSD cells is around 10k
writes from what I read and in a big sort, or movie rendering, you do
a lot of writes. You can eat 10k up pretty fast. Being the mean, some
will fail sooner, some later but the later ones are insignificant,
Usually once you lose a few, it is new drive time.

wrote:

[...]

If you have decent surge protection, lightning should not be an issue.
That is far more than a few plug in protectors tho. It is a system
with layers of protection starting at your grounding electrode..

wrote:

[...]

Oh dear god. what a circus

mk5000

As he rotated his jaw, Leo’s gaze flicked her way, his eyes lit with a wildness, his lip quirked, almost in amusement, and then he acted. His fist retaliated then his elbow, snapping Dmitri in the nose.--― Eve Langlais, When an Omega Snaps