Default Signatures needed on petition to evaluate and stabilize the Arecibo radio telescope

Signatures needed on petition to evaluate and stabilize the Arecibo
radio telescope: "We urge emergency action to have the Army Corps of
Engineers or another agency evaluate the telescope structure and
search for a safe way to stabilize it," reads the petition to the
White House, which had more than 28,000 signatures as of Friday.
Space.com notes if the petition gets 100,000 signees by Dec. 21, the
White House has to respond within two months. Jenniffer Gonzalez,
Puerto Rico's resident commissioner, is also taking action, sending a
letter to Congress last week to request funds to make repairs. The NSF
maintains the structure is beyond safe renovation. "We understand the
risk of going there and trying to fix it," Wilbert Ruperto-Hernandez,
one of the organizers of the "Save the Arecibo Observatory" campaign,
tells Space.com. "But not many people think that it should be an
excuse to just demolish it."

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/petition-emergency-action-evaluate-and-stabilize-arecibo-radio-telescope

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 14:59:12 -0500, Wayne B
wrote:

[...]

You might have to try to get Elon Musk or Bill Gates to cough up
$50-100 million. I doubt the government is going to do it.
Since this is an international resource, where are the scientists from
other countries who used it?

wrote:

[...]

Trump would have other countries pitch in their share to fix it. Biden will just bend over and ask how much. Oh, and make sure the Ukraine and China pays nothing. Don't want to hurt Hunter's job security.

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't Trump call it "fake science"?

--
Bozo Bin resuscitated...John Herring in there, along with Bert Robbins,
452471atgmail.com, Just-AN-Asshole, Evangelical Tim, and Gunboy Alex.

wrote:

[...]

===

I know nothing about the finances or international aspects. It just
seems like a unique resource that is worth preserving. I was working
on the technical staff in a research lab at Cornell University back in
the 60s when the whole thing was coming online. In the middle of an
upstate NY winter, most of us thought Puerto Rico would be a nice gig
to have.

It's unfortunate that so many jump to politicize the situation. More
information he

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory

wrote:

[...]

But seriously, haven't you been politicizing things lately? Using statements like "a danger to our democracy", which is just liberal media BS?

When it comes to governments, and their funding of all projects, it *IS* political. Are you OK with other countries using and reaping the benefits of this telescope without paying their fair share? At least Trump pushed back on the free-loading countries during his term. Why is that a bad thing?

I suspect the midterms will tell the story. Hopefully the USA isn't that far gone. And we can get the other countries using this telescope to pay half, while we pay the other half. But that won't happen with Biden and Kammy. They'll give it away.

wrote:

[...]

I have been reading a little about this and the consensus is, most of
the infrastructure is EOL. Salt air and other ravages from the
environment has damaged this so badly they might be better off
salvaging anything they can and starting over. It might end up being
pretty much rebuilding from scratch. They won't have any military
connection this time and no DoD money so this might actually be best
done by a consortium of private companies. To put it in perspective,
if they could raise just 10% of what we spent on this last election
(~$1.4 BILLION) they could build a 21st century replacement for a mid
20th century complex with far more capabilities.
B B is offline

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Spekaing of ponying up your fair share, when are you going to pay your
debts Harry.

wrote:

[...]

I agree a new system is a better solution than repairing an out of date
system, but it should be built by the government as a government
facility using private sector subcontractors. This is the sort of
facility that should be used for the public good. Let's not turn it into
a damned toll road that profits private enterprise at the expense of the
public.

A little more info: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03270-9

--

Freedom Isn't Free!