Default More gun control needed?

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 19:19:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 15:58:28 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 10:39:42 -0400,

wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 04:10:12 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 16:00:36 -0000 (UTC), Justan wrote:

On 7/26/20 5:51 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 21:53:23 -0000 (UTC), Justan wrote:

On 7/26/20 2:40 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 16:53:13 -0400, John wrote:

And all of these guys will probably vote for Biden, who is very 'anti-assault
weapon:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN24R025

Yahoo/AOL implied it was a "white supremacist militia".
A bunch of black thugs looking for a place to die. I wouldn't count on many
of them being around to vote. I hope Kentucky takes care of this before
they are confronted with Trumps Militia.

One of them shot 3 of his buddies so they might not need the federal
agents.

I hope those three buddies and the rest of that mob of thugs demand justice.
How much jail time should the shooter get for 3 attempted murders?

===

The Reuters report said it was an accidental discharge. Perhaps some
gun safety training might be in order before carrying on the street.

Three accidental discharges?

===

It's conceivable that 3 people could have been injured by the same AD
if they were all in close proximity.

That is the way I understand it, one bullet, 3 bullet holes. Some may
have just been shrapnel, maybe all 3. A jacketed bullet pretty much
explodes when it hits something hard and pieces of jacket go
everywhere. When I was shooting in the basement I always shot through
2 layers of cardboard or the floor in front of the trap was littered
with twisted copper

===

Earlier this year I was hit in the leg with a piece of shrapnel while
shooting at an indoor range in Ft Myers. It's not at all clear how or
why it happened but it took a little chunk from my shin and bled a
bit. The traps were over 20 yards away and seemed well constructed.

Exactly my point. FMJ may be the worst. Gas checks can really travel
and usually straight back. Two layers of corrugated cardboard usually
stops them. I used to collect p[aper boxes and my buddy at the Systems
Center (IBM demo shop) used to save me the cardboard that came with a
new spool of IBM tape. They went through hundreds of them. It had a
black center the size of the hole in the spool and another ring the
size of the reel. They make great targets. and a third layer of
cardboard.

wrote:
[...]

Crap happens. I was hit by a ricochet from a 38 one year during annual
qualifying in the Air Force. I was sitting on the bench behind the firing
line. Don’t know why we qualified that year with pistols as we used the
Novato Police range and not the Hamilton AFB range. The bullet must have
somehow did a 2 cushion off the steel frames.

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 00:03:22 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:
[...]

One of the guys took a #9 pellet in the nose at the Skeet range in
Manassas one night. We never did figure out how that happened. It
wasn't really deformed or anything so bouncing off something was
unlikely. The only thing anyone could come up with is someone turned
around and took a #8 bird going away. (not a legal shot)

B wrote:
In article ,
says...
===

Earlier this year I was hit in the leg with a piece of shrapnel while
shooting at an indoor range in Ft Myers. It's not at all clear how or
why it happened but it took a little chunk from my shin and bled a
bit. The traps were over 20 yards away and seemed well constructed.

One of the indoor ranges I go to used to allow 5.56 on its high power
lanes. Last time I was there, they told me I couldn't fire my AR with
5.56, only with .223. The owner said he had shrapnel come back and hit
him in the leg from a 5.56 round, and it barely missed the femoral
artery. That's a wakeup call.

The difference between a .223 and a 5.56 NATO is very small. The
physical characteristis of the case are slightly different and .223
follows the SAAMI standard where the 5.56 NATO does not. The 5.56 NATO
spec requires the neck of the cartridge to be annealed where the .223
doesn't. They are effectively the same cartridge.

You can shoot both 5.56 NATO and .223 out of the same chamber/barrel. I
have a AR-15 pistol that I had to shoot a couple of hundred rounds of
.223 thru before the chamber and bolt would accept a 5.56 NATO headspace
go gage.

Was someone shooting at the target holder from about 10 yards away?
Could happen with any caliber.

The difference is actually pretty big. The 5.56 nato runs more powder, as
the rifle throat is 1/8” longer allowing the extra powder and maxing
pressure at about 58,000 psi. The 223 is designed for 55,000 psi.
Shooting 223 in a 5.56 rifle will give less velocity as the pressure does
not build as much, because of the throat length. Shooting a 5.56 NATO in a
223 gives excess pressure as the chamber is that 1/8” smaller and you can
blow out the primer, etc. so, buy a 5.56 chamber rifle and target
shooting, you can shoot anything.

On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 2:48:24 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
B wrote:
In article ,
says...
===

[...]

Thanks, you beat me to it. There are .223 only rifles that aren't safe shooting 5.56 because of that extra pressure and difference in the chamber/throat size.

The indoor range in question is 30-40 yards, and it was probably somewhat of a freak accident, but the range owner felt he should stop the use of 5.56.. Were they shooting 5.56 out of a .223? I don't know. It's his range, so I'm OK with his rule.

wrote:
[...]

They are so close that it might happen with .223.* They need to update
their back stop - or clean it out.

Out of control Mr. Luddite General 21 June 15th 17 06:52 AM
For or against gun control ... Mr. Luddite General 7 December 6th 13 02:14 PM
Gun control Calif Bill General 88 November 24th 06 12:51 PM
AutoHelm remote control --> ST5000 control head ??? Steve Electronics 2 August 15th 04 06:17 PM