Default Hot dog

On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 1:23:15 AM UTC-4, Justan wrote:
On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 23:22:57 -0000 (UTC), Justan wrote:

Now that Fat Harry is history we have some new boating blood on rec.boats

===

Yes, very encouraging. It's also nice that every new post is not
degenerating into a political food fight.

Unfortunately I don't have any boating adventures to share right now,
wish I did. My challenge this summer is to figure out where my
stabilizer system is leaking hydraulic oil and fix it. Unfortunately
my expertise lies elsewhere, and the so called experts have already
failed several times.

The system consists of a Vickers 10 hp hydraulic pump on the port side
engine, coupled to a resevoir and control gyro. The gyro senses roll
motion and sends fluid to remote servo valves as needed. The servo
valves are like electrical relays in that a small input can control a
large amout of power, in this case the power to turn the stabilizer
fins in the proper direction to minimize roll. The leak(s) could be
just about anywhere and access to hoses, servo valves and pistons is
poor. Most likely suspects are leaking hydraulic seals, leaking hose
or hose connection.

All suggestions welcome.

Dirt will gather on even the smallest leak. Cameras can go where your eyes
can't. Be patient. You'll find it.

There are some inexpensive inspection cameras available now. Some use bluetooth to your phone to use it's display, and for just a bit more you can get self-contained ones that have their own display.

Here's a sample:
https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Endoscope-Borescope-Inspection-Conditioner/dp/B0888S8ZSN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=inspection+camer a&qid=1595093543&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNVNGM DQxR0s4NUVMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU2OTcwM1AzSTg1REY xMDlDMSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODU4MzUxM0QyRlVQU04zW kRSWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWR pcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, good tip.

I've also ordered some leak tracing dye which glows under UV light.

https://www.avg.com

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

You might see it with nothing but a selfie stick on your phone. Start
a movie and look at it later. Have your neighbor go back and forth
close aboard on his jet ski to rock the boat ;-)

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

You might, but you can't zoom in in real time with the selfie stick, and you run the risk of losing an $800 smart phone behind a hole in a bulkhead, never to be seen again. I'll take my chances with the superior snake camera for $58.

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

$800 is chump change in boat bucks, Wayne is probably ready for a new
one anyway. He's rich ;-)

When I see people hanging their camera out over the water on a selfie
stick I assume they grab it pretty good tho.

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

All true enough, but the ability to see something in real time, then move around and take a better look at it, again in real time, gives the nod to the $60 inspection camera. Who wants to blindy feed a cell phone on a short selfie stick into a blind crevice over and over again to finally get the angle you need when a quick real time video with the inspection camera does the trick?

Wayne may be rich, but I doubt he got there throwing away $800 dollar cell phones when a $60 dollar device does it better. Rich people typically aren't stupid, at least the ones that earned it themselves.

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

OTOH this may be a once in a lifetime thing. I have one of those
inspection cameras I used exactly once and the result was
inconclusive.

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

I prefer to think of myself as comfortably well off.

Rich is for people who don't own boats. :-)

All good tips folks, thanks. The UV tracing dye arrived, still
waiting on the UV light. I'm not sure how much dye to use however.

https://www.avg.com

On 7/17/20 12:43 PM, wrote:
[...]

I do not think it needs much. They did not put a lot in my AC system in
the house to find the leak.