Default Turning the economic corner?

Labor Department released numbers for May that surprised
all economists and their dour predictions.

Non-farm job increase of 2.5 million.

Unemployment drops to 13.3 percent
from 14.7 percent in April.

(Predictions were for unemployment to rise to
19 to 20 percent.)

Data is through the middle (12th) of May that
included only the early stages of "opening"
the country. Next month's data could be much
better if this trend continues.

https://www.avg.com

On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 9:00:33 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
Labor Department released numbers for May that surprised
all economists and their dour predictions.

Non-farm job increase of 2.5 million.

Unemployment drops to 13.3 percent
from 14.7 percent in April.

(Predictions were for unemployment to rise to
19 to 20 percent.)

Data is through the middle (12th) of May that
included only the early stages of "opening"
the country. Next month's data could be much
better if this trend continues.

The Dow just hit 27,088. Nice.

On 6/5/2020 10:54 AM, Its Me wrote:
On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 9:00:33 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
Labor Department released numbers for May that surprised
all economists and their dour predictions.

Non-farm job increase of 2.5 million.

Unemployment drops to 13.3 percent
from 14.7 percent in April.

(Predictions were for unemployment to rise to
19 to 20 percent.)

Data is through the middle (12th) of May that
included only the early stages of "opening"
the country. Next month's data could be much
better if this trend continues.

The Dow just hit 27,088. Nice.

I noticed that with some good economic news (or at least
promising) a certain regular poster here has nothing to
say.

https://www.avg.com

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 09:00:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Labor Department released numbers for May that surprised
all economists and their dour predictions.

Non-farm job increase of 2.5 million.

Unemployment drops to 13.3 percent
from 14.7 percent in April.

(Predictions were for unemployment to rise to
19 to 20 percent.)

Data is through the middle (12th) of May that
included only the early stages of "opening"
the country. Next month's data could be much
better if this trend continues.

How much of that is just people who gave up trying to get unemployment
from a system that failed from the overload?
I do hope it is real but until we are really reopened I am skeptical.
I do understand a lot of businesses have found a way around these
shutdowns tho. Construction and the service trades are going full tilt
around here. I know my trade neighbors say they are staying busy.
We are also starting to see restaurants open. I was in Rusty's the
other day (sports bar, restaurant) and there were 20 customers inside
at tables. They removed about half the tables and all the bar stools
so people could spread out but other than that it was business as
normal. Not a mask in sight.
It is pretty hard to eat or drink with a mask on.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 07:54:55 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Friday, June 5, 2020 at 9:00:33 AM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
Labor Department released numbers for May that surprised
all economists and their dour predictions.

Non-farm job increase of 2.5 million.

Unemployment drops to 13.3 percent
from 14.7 percent in April.

(Predictions were for unemployment to rise to
19 to 20 percent.)

Data is through the middle (12th) of May that
included only the early stages of "opening"
the country. Next month's data could be much
better if this trend continues.

The Dow just hit 27,088. Nice.

The stuff I picked up off the bottom is recovering nicely. Even that
XOM I got at 39 is looking pretty good in spite of $1.79 gas. ($52.70
right now).

wrote:

[...]

LOL. This mask stuff really has your underwear in a bunch.

If I were you, I just wouldn't go to any stores that require
them.

https://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

Just the useless gesture aspect of it
This picture is the perfect example

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2020/05/21/USAT/305ca4fb-1b49-4b42-90fa-6b15e0b2db54-virus_1.JPG?width=1320&height=880&fit=crop&format= pjpg&auto=webp

The guy on the left is going to extremes but you also have the normal
mixed bag of surgical masks, bandannas and neck gaiters. Then there is
the guy who just holds his hand over his mouth.

If I were you, I just wouldn't go to any stores that require
them.

It is only Costco right now. I may start using curbside there but I
have about 5-6 weeks worth of dog food so they may change their policy
by them.

wrote:

[...]

Unless I missed where you said you have an advanced degree in "pandemic virus transmission mechanics", you really have zero standing to proclaim it as being useless.

You saying stuff like that reeks of being harry-esque. Just saying.

wrote:

[...]

I have spent many hours in classes about PPE. I do understand what
masks are all about.
If a bandanna loosely tied around your face is a mask, there is no
such thing as a mask.

On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 09:00:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

Labor Department released numbers for May that surprised
all economists and their dour predictions.

Non-farm job increase of 2.5 million.

Unemployment drops to 13.3 percent
from 14.7 percent in April.

(Predictions were for unemployment to rise to
19 to 20 percent.)

Data is through the middle (12th) of May that
included only the early stages of "opening"
the country. Next month's data could be much
better if this trend continues.

Sure hope you didn't tell Harry. That would be a low blow.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Economic Populism F.O.A.D. General 34 November 23rd 13 04:23 AM
New economic model Frogwatch General 29 April 9th 10 12:02 AM
Economic stimulus jim General 2 October 25th 08 03:16 AM
Economic collapse Charles Momsen ASA 0 October 20th 08 07:36 PM
Think this has anything to do with the economic problems? [email protected] General 67 March 22nd 08 03:51 PM