Default Pallets of bricks

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 19:29:10 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 9:12:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 12:17:22 -0700 (PDT), Its Me
wrote:

On Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 1:55:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 13:39:20 -0400, John wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 13:13:44 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 08:19:26 -0400, John wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 07:55:00 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 06:46:49 -0400, John wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jun 2020 15:08:10 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 05 Jun 2020 07:15:42 -0400, John wrote:

snippage
get used.

Bull****. All kinds of standards right he

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

I've shown you this before, but you choose to disregard it as it doesn't fit
your agenda.

"Your cloth face covering may protect them. Their cloth face covering
may protect you."

Note the word "may".
We may have snow in Ft Myers but I am not buying a snow shovel.

Anything that starts right out with "may work" does not sound like a
standard in any scientific sense.
Of you showed up at any OSHA regulated work space with a bandanna on
your face, they would kick you out. (to avoid a fine) OSHA does have
standards about what constitutes a mask.

Yes, there is some probability the mask will protect neither. However, there
*is* a standard about 'what a mask is'.

It is not a standard if anything from an N-95 to a neck gaiter passes
the test...
... unless we are just saying any gesture counts.

Can I just draw a mask on my face with face paint?

You actually got that from the CDC article above?

Yes, you can draw a mask on your face with face paint. Just cover it with a real
one when you go shopping.

That is the flaw in all of this, a "real" what?

For the third time:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

A neck gaiter? They only say they block a certain percentage of U/V
light and brag about how easy they are to breathe through.
A bandanna that doesn't seal to your face at all?
Either will get you into Costco, the only place I have been with a
mask policy.
OTOH
The Costco employees are wearing lexan face shields, not any kind of
mask at all. Any contamination that stops is going right down on the
surfaces and products in front of them. Keep that in mind when you are
opening that roaster chicken or handling that 30 pack of Charmin.
These are simply feel good gestures.

The purpose of the mask is not to keep things out but to keep them in. Maybe you
missed that. Luddite and I should have been more clear.

So now handkerchiefs have a magic one way fiber?

I suppose they should throw out anyone at Costco with an N-95 that has
the valve in front. That is exactly the opposite of what you say these
are good for.

Read this. It may help. Note that N95 masks are not mentioned.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

A surgical N95 (also referred as a medical respirator) is recommended only for
use by healthcare personnel (HCP) who need protection from both airborne and
fluid hazards (e.g., splashes, sprays).

Of course, there are stupid folks everywhere.

They said that to avoid a run on medical supplies that were getting
hard to come by but they still wanted to throw a bone to those people
who wanted to think they were doing something. Now this issue has
gained a life of it's own. Just based on the fact that Costco is
giving away surgical masks at the door, I assume the supply chain has
caught up.
I am now wondering how long this nonsense is going to go on.
Is this a phase 3 or a phase 4 thing?

Are there going to be people who just wear a mask forever now?

Who is 'they'?

Again, N95 respirators and surgical masks (face masks) are examples of personal
protective equipment that are used to protect the wearer from airborne particles
and from liquid contaminating the face. Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC) National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) also regulate N95
respirators.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...sks-face-masks

Is that source good enough for you? Note, "...are used to protect the wearer
from airborne particles and from liquid contaminating the face."

That's not that hard to understand.

That is easy to understand. I have taught classes on PPE. You haven't
explained the handkerchief yet.
You are also going to have a hard time finding any medical protocol
that says you can take your mask off, shove it in your pocket and put
it back on again without contaminating everything it touches.

In the case of COVID, if that mask is contaminated it is because the wearer is already positive. It is not to stop inbound. That has been explained repeatedly.

Think about the hankerchief this way. You have a box fan, I would assume? Set it up on one side of an area, then turn it on low and walk in front of it. Feel that air even a few feet back?

Then put a single layer piece of fabric (a sheet) across the fron of it, turn it back on low and walk around in front again. See how the airflow has been greatly elimimated? Now imagine your breath with some COVID suspended in aerosol coming out of your mouth and nose. See how that basic piece of cloth can slow and disrupt the COVID infested particles coming out of your face, so that 79 year old grandmother you just passed in the aisle doesn't get sick and die?

Pretty cool to know you did that just by wearing a simple cloth "mask", eh?

OK, now let's give an example I have used before. Mist that cloth with
some kind of food color, replicating breathing through it for a few
hours.

A few hours? How freaking long does it take for you to buy some groceries?

I usually have several things I do when I go out and 3 hours is not
unusual.
I would either be using several masks that I throw away, wearing one
the whole time or handling the mask a lot.

Now take your air gun and blast it with a short shot,
replicating a sneeze.

I don't have an air gun up my nose.
Have you not heard that if you are sick (sneezing, coughing) that you should stay at home? Why would you go to a store, sneezing and coughing, with or without a mask? Really?

I wouldn't go out if I was sneezing or coughing but that seems to be
the common scenario.

The actual power of a sneeze is certainly in the range of a blast from
my air gun.

This "mask" thing is to help prevent asymptomatic people from spreading the virus. You know, the folks that aren't sneezing, coughing, or otherwise thinking they are sick at all. Like you.

I did notice that you said you were social distancing, and not putting yourself into situation where you *should* were a mask. Good for you. Keep it up. Maybe you do have a social conscience after all.

Not wearing a mask does tend to have the scared people keeping their
distance. I am OK with that.

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 20:53:20 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 13:58:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/6/2020 1:17 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 08:39:14 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

LOL. Greg, you are doing this on purpose, aren't you?

I am just trying to follow the logic. It is particularly strange when
Costco, the only place here requiring a mask, has their people wearing
a Lexan face shield.
People really need to make up their mind. Is this flying debris or is
it an aerosol?

You really need to put any kind of PPE knowledge or general logic on
hold to wrap your head around this fad.

I'll play some more.

*Droplets* Greg. Potential Virus laced *droplets*

Droplets that won't penetrate a rag mask would quickly fall to the
floor but the aerosols that hang in the air would go through your do
rag like bird shot through a chain link fence.

You're thinking backwards again.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 21:04:17 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:56:21 -0400, John wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Have you noticed that, like Harry, you change the subject with each response?
That's what I call 'bobbleheading'.

I have been very consistent. This fad has nothing to do with actually
stopping anything but hard looks from people who have stayed home if
they are so scared.
On the one hand you try to present this as a health related activity,
then you reject every standard and protocol that would make it
protection from anything.
A mask of any kind that you reuse is a better vector for the disease
than prevention. It is no accident that when they take a mask off in a
medical facility it goes in a biohazard container. They don't wad it
up and shove it in their pocket with whatever else you are carrying.
They are also not using anything their Nanna made at home.

I have about five masks.

That's why God made washing machines.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 20:55:54 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 18:13:24 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Probably. People in Asian countries have been wearing masks for
decades for reasons that include but are not limited to as a
courtesy to others.

Mostly they wear them because of the intense air pollution is my thought.

They also wear real respirators, not a piece of an old T shirt.

Where is 'old T shirt' mentioned? Or 'do rag'? Or anything other than a cloth
face covering with specifications.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

That's what I mean about bobbleheading the subject.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

wrote:

[...]

I've presented this about half a dozen times now.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

A mask of any kind that you reuse is a better vector for the disease
than prevention. It is no accident that when they take a mask off in a
medical facility it goes in a biohazard container. They don't wad it
up and shove it in their pocket with whatever else you are carrying.
They are also not using anything their Nanna made at home.

We're not in a medical facility. We are not trying to protect ourselves with the
mask. It is to protect the other guy.

Cloth masks are washable, as I said. That's why God made washing machines.

When you go out for your three hour jaunts, take the mask off when you leave the
store, or whatever. You don't need to wear it in your 47 year-old Honda.
Remember, any virus contained therein means you're already sick, so don't worry
about getting sicker!
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sat, 06 Jun 2020 20:53:20 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 13:58:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/6/2020 1:17 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 08:39:14 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Bull****. Disproved by Luddite days ago (which you disregarded, of course).

--

Freedom Isn't Free!

On Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 1:55:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 19:29:10 -0700 (PDT), Its Me

A few hours? How freaking long does it take for you to buy some groceries?

I usually have several things I do when I go out and 3 hours is not
unusual.
I would either be using several masks that I throw away, wearing one
the whole time or handling the mask a lot.

3 hours? What are you doing, going to a Grateful Dead concert?
You do know you don't have to wear it from the time you leave home until you get back, right? Put it on when you're walking through the door of the business, and take it back off when you're leaving. That 3 hour jaunt equals whet, 30-40 minutes of mask time spread out over "several" stops? The mask is not wet, it's fine.

Now take your air gun and blast it with a short shot,
replicating a sneeze.

I don't have an air gun up my nose.
Have you not heard that if you are sick (sneezing, coughing) that you should stay at home? Why would you go to a store, sneezing and coughing, with or without a mask? Really?

I wouldn't go out if I was sneezing or coughing but that seems to be
the common scenario.

Wife and I went to Lowes Foods this morning, bith with masks on while we were there. Didn't hear a single sneeze of cough. Everyone except one female had a mask on. Maybe people are less thoughtful and aware of being sick where you live.

The actual power of a sneeze is certainly in the range of a blast from
my air gun.

Really? What PSI seeting? 30, 50, 100 psi? How long is the blast? 327ms? Maybe 489ms? Does it have a 0.125 inch nozzle, or is it dual nozzles that have over 0.500 - 0.750 exhaust area with diffusing hair inside? Got that thing calibrated?

You can be silly and pedantic, so can I. grin

This "mask" thing is to help prevent asymptomatic people from spreading the virus. You know, the folks that aren't sneezing, coughing, or otherwise thinking they are sick at all. Like you.

I did notice that you said you were social distancing, and not putting yourself into situation where you *should* were a mask. Good for you. Keep it up. Maybe you do have a social conscience after all.

Not wearing a mask does tend to have the scared people keeping their
distance. I am OK with that.

I guess as long as you're OK with possibly being asymptomatic and spreading it ultimately to someone's 80 year old grandmother and killing her, that's your choice. Not her choice, though. Is it?

I'm out.