BoatBanter.com

-   -   Vaccine ? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/185605-vaccine.html)

Mr. Luddite[_4_] May 18th 20 03:41 PM

Vaccine ?

A Cambridge, MA company "Moderna" has released the results of
their Phase 1 tests of a covid-19 vaccine and has been given
the go-ahead to proceed to phase II testing.

If the results of Phase II are successful, an emergency
go-ahead to start full scale immunizations may be
forthcoming as early as this fall.

The vaccine was tested in three dosages. Even the lowest
dosage resulted in antibodies to fight the virus at a
level similar to those people who contacted covid-19 and
survived.

Details he

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/18/early-data-show-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-generates-immune-response/

https://www.avg.com

Keyser Soze May 18th 20 05:54 PM

Vaccine ?

On 5/18/20 10:41 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

A Cambridge, MA company "Moderna" has released the results of
their Phase 1 tests of a covid-19 vaccine and has been given
the go-ahead to proceed to phase II testing.

If the results of Phase II are successful, an emergency
go-ahead to start full scale immunizations may be
forthcoming as early as this fall.

The vaccine was tested in three dosages.Â* Even the lowest
dosage resulted in antibodies to fight the virus at a
level similar to those people who contacted covid-19 and
survived.

Details he

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/18/early-data-show-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-generates-immune-response/

It'll be nice when and if there are effective vaccines. I still think we
are a long way away from that, assuming the usual sort of testing once
some real possibilities are found.

--
MAGA - Manipulating America's Gullible Assholes

Mr. Luddite[_4_] May 18th 20 06:47 PM

Vaccine ?

On 5/18/2020 12:54 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 5/18/20 10:41 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

A Cambridge, MA company "Moderna" has released the results of
their Phase 1 tests of a covid-19 vaccine and has been given
the go-ahead to proceed to phase II testing.

If the results of Phase II are successful, an emergency
go-ahead to start full scale immunizations may be
forthcoming as early as this fall.

The vaccine was tested in three dosages.Â* Even the lowest
dosage resulted in antibodies to fight the virus at a
level similar to those people who contacted covid-19 and
survived.

Details he

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/18/early-data-show-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-generates-immune-response/

It'll be nice when and if there are effective vaccines. I still think we
are a long way away from that, assuming the usual sort of testing once
some real possibilities are found.

The article on Moderna's work suggested that approval by the FDA might
be accelerated under an emergency approval assuming the second phase of
testing is as successful as the first phase.

Approval *could* be as early as this fall. The challenge then will be
to manufacture and distribute enough to vaccinate most or all of the
US population. It *could* turn out that those who have had covid-19
and recovered will not require the vaccine.

https://www.avg.com

[email protected] May 18th 20 08:07 PM

Vaccine ?

On Mon, 18 May 2020 12:54:23 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 5/18/20 10:41 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

A Cambridge, MA company "Moderna" has released the results of
their Phase 1 tests of a covid-19 vaccine and has been given
the go-ahead to proceed to phase II testing.

If the results of Phase II are successful, an emergency
go-ahead to start full scale immunizations may be
forthcoming as early as this fall.

The vaccine was tested in three dosages.Â* Even the lowest
dosage resulted in antibodies to fight the virus at a
level similar to those people who contacted covid-19 and
survived.

Details he

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/18/early-data-show-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-generates-immune-response/

It'll be nice when and if there are effective vaccines. I still think we
are a long way away from that, assuming the usual sort of testing once
some real possibilities are found.

They are thinking the actual trials will be in the general population.
It is all part of that "Do Something Now" mantra you have been
chanting.

[email protected] May 18th 20 08:54 PM

Vaccine ?

wrote:

[...]

===

Much as I'd like to see those vaccine trials be successful, I'm not
sure I'd want any friends or family members in the first round of
testing.

https://www.avg.com

[email protected] May 18th 20 10:06 PM

Vaccine ?

On Mon, 18 May 2020 13:47:38 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

I would probably get the vaccine because I think any antibodies are
better than none but I will wait to see if the vaccine works on next
year's virus. This may just end up being one more thing in that annual
flu shot cocktail.
I am on the fence about how I feel about skipping the normal 16-18
month approval process but the Libertarian in me says give it a chance
as long as the people taking it understand this is uncharted water.
Don't come crying to the FDA if you get a 4 hour erection that won't
go away ;-)
I want this panic to be over, whatever it takes.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] May 18th 20 10:22 PM

Vaccine ?

wrote:

[...]

I learned a bit more about it. The vaccine Moderna is developing has
*no* covid-19 virus in it .... dead or alive.

Instead, it is a man-made molecule that mimics the "spikes" on the
covid-19 (and other) virus and fools the immune system into
developing antibodies.

This could be a game changer ... not only for covid-19 but for
many other viruses. First time this approach has been taken.

https://www.avg.com

Mr. Luddite[_4_] May 18th 20 10:26 PM

Vaccine ?

wrote:

[...]

I may be overly optimistic but the approach Moderna has taken is
a first. There's no virus in the vaccine. It's basically
harmless (according to Moderna) other than a sore arm at high doses.

It's a man-made molecule with spikes that fools the human immune system
into making antibodies against it as if it were a virus.

https://www.avg.com

[email protected] May 18th 20 10:51 PM

Vaccine ?

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if you get a T shirt that says "I'm OK" so nobody hassles me
about that stupid mask. If so I would give it a try.

[email protected] May 18th 20 11:16 PM

Vaccine ?

wrote:

[...]

Have you tried one of those fishing hoods that covers your nose and
mouth? I have't but I'm thinking about it. They've got to be more
comfortable than an N95 mask.

https://www.amazon.com/Retail-Sign-Systems-Hunting%EF%BC%88Solid-Camouflage%EF%BC%89/dp/B085WRVQNX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=Z5PP8RYMK4X9&dchild=1&keywords=fis hing+face+mask

https://www.avg.com