Default Test Everyone?

Listening to Paul Romer, an economics professor and former
former world bank economist.

He wants a $100 million program to test *everyone* in the
US biweekly for the covid-19 virus, realizing that a
person could be negative today but go out and become
infected tomorrow. He is proposing this to make sure
we can "open" the country/economy again.

I think I heard that so far 5 million people have been
tested in the USA and this is after a herculean effort
to get more test machines and test kits distributed.

How the hell does he expect to test *everyone* biweekly
as a condition for people to go back to work?

I am not even sure if it would be legal to mandate the
tests.

https://www.avg.com

On 4/25/2020 7:44 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Listening to Paul Romer, an economics professor and former
former world bank economist.

He wants a $100 million program to test *everyone* in the
US biweekly for the covid-19 virus, realizing that a
person could be negative today but go out and become
infected tomorrow.Â* He is proposing this to make sure
we can "open" the country/economy again.

I think I heard that so far 5 million people have been
tested in the USA and this is after a herculean effort
to get more test machines and test kits distributed.

How the hell does he expect to test *everyone* biweekly
as a condition for people to go back to work?

I am not even sure if it would be legal to mandate the
tests.

Make that "$100 *billion* program, not $100 million.

https://www.avg.com

Mr. Luddite wrote:

Listening to Paul Romer, an economics professor and former
former world bank economist.

He wants a $100 million program to test *everyone* in the
US biweekly for the covid-19 virus, realizing that a
person could be negative today but go out and become
infected tomorrow. He is proposing this to make sure
we can "open" the country/economy again.

I think I heard that so far 5 million people have been
tested in the USA and this is after a herculean effort
to get more test machines and test kits distributed.

How the hell does he expect to test *everyone* biweekly
as a condition for people to go back to work?

I am not even sure if it would be legal to mandate the
tests.

A hundred million bucks? About 30 cents a person for all those tests. Oh
how many weeks is this supposed to run? This guy is an economic professor?
No wonder the World Bank has had massive problems over the years.

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 19:47:52 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/25/2020 7:44 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Listening to Paul Romer, an economics professor and former
former world bank economist.

He wants a $100 million program to test *everyone* in the
US biweekly for the covid-19 virus, realizing that a
person could be negative today but go out and become
infected tomorrow.Â* He is proposing this to make sure
we can "open" the country/economy again.

I think I heard that so far 5 million people have been
tested in the USA and this is after a herculean effort
to get more test machines and test kits distributed.

How the hell does he expect to test *everyone* biweekly
as a condition for people to go back to work?

I am not even sure if it would be legal to mandate the
tests.

Make that "$100 *billion* program, not $100 million.

At this point they would be far better off doing antibody tests. Even
then, I think a sample in different geographies would suffice in the
short term. In a captive population, they are finding that around 80%
of the prisoners in a given prison where this got loose tested
positive and 95% of them had no symptoms.
You have to understand that these are predominantly young men and
smoking is prohibited (for whatever that is worth).
It still might be an indication of what the young to middle age will
present if they go back to work. The problem still seems to be us old
farts.
As for me, I am just going to try to follow the sanitization rules and
take my chances.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/25/2020 7:44 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Listening to Paul Romer, an economics professor and former
former world bank economist.

He wants a $100 million program to test *everyone* in the
US biweekly for the covid-19 virus, realizing that a
person could be negative today but go out and become
infected tomorrow.Â* He is proposing this to make sure
we can "open" the country/economy again.

I think I heard that so far 5 million people have been
tested in the USA and this is after a herculean effort
to get more test machines and test kits distributed.

How the hell does he expect to test *everyone* biweekly
as a condition for people to go back to work?

I am not even sure if it would be legal to mandate the
tests.

Make that "$100 *billion* program, not $100 million.

I commented on the $100 million. So how many tests can a person get for
$300?

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 02:06:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:

[...]

If they could do this for $20 a test, by the time they roll up the
results and analyze the data, I would be shocked. That is more like
$14 Billion.

They can't even count our noses for $20 each, how will they test them
all?

The Census is at least $16 Billion. ($107 per household budgeted)

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 02:46:13 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Yeah $100Billion sounds right but if you are just looking for active
cases you are wasting your money. In real life sample antibody testing
is all you need anyway. You can make projections from there. They are
still watching the people with antibodies to be sure they really are
immune, If not, it may shoot the hell out of the plans for a vaccine.
Most vaccines are far from perfect anyway. Your average flu vaccine is
50-75% effective.

wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

The flu vaccine is not against all flu, is formulated for the suspected
flus of that year. Some suspects don’t cooperate.

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 04:09:13 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Why would we think this corona virus is any different?

wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

There is at least one expert's opinion that I read that a vaccine for
covid-19 (being a corona type virus) may be impossible to develop.

Apparently, it has been tried before for the general category of this
type of virus and all attempts have been unsuccessful. It's not
a H1N1 type virus.

https://www.avg.com