BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is Toyota and Lexus (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/1849-ot-surprise-winner-jd-powers-2003-best-auto-toyota-lexus.html)

Spam Me Please November 5th 03 06:03 PM

OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is Toyota and Lexus

Doug, I agree that Toyota is generally thought to be an excellent car, I
also think that JD Powers surveys are fairly accurate, and at no time would
they deliberate bias their survey. Gould thinks they do.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Their results correlate nicely with the opinions of a ****load of Toyota
owners, plenty of mechanics, with my own experiences with the cars over 25
years, and most important, with the results of Consumer Reports studies.

Perhaps this is the real question: Based not on cynicism, but on your
thoughts about Toyota products, why do you feel the survey results are
tainted?

"Spam Me Please" wrote in message
Doug, are you suggesting that JD Powers can not be bought for the

highest
bidder? Gould is positive that all of JD Powers surveys are biased and

are
sold to the highest bidder, don't tell me that others agree with JD

Powers.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Spam Me Please" wrote in message
If only GM would buy off J.D. Power they too could dominate the

Annual
Initial Quality Study. GM execs should be fired for being so stupid

as
ignore such a easy maneuver to improve quality.

Surprise winner? Sounds like JD Power got the same survey results as
Consumer Reports comes up with when it does its similar study. No

surprise.
American cars have been crap since the mid to late 1970s.

Calif Bill November 5th 03 06:07 PM

OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is Toyota and Lexus

Toyota is a fantastic manufacturer. They make small incremetal changes each
model year. No big redesigns of the running gear in a year. The 1993
enging is not that much different than a 2003 engine. Makes for a very
dependable running gear. Handling could be improved. The US makers seem
to have to change big every 3-5 years, so they are always in the debug mode.
Other than Honda and Toyota, the other Japanese makes products have sucked
for a long time. A Nissan was allways a rattletrap after a year or so. The
other thing about Japanese vehicles, is they share a lot of the same
components. Would be anti-trust here. My Isusu pickup had the same
distributor as a Datsun.

Doug Kanter November 5th 03 06:11 PM

Doug, I agree that Toyota is generally thought to be an excellent car, I
also think that JD Powers surveys are fairly accurate, and at no time

would
they deliberate bias their survey. Gould thinks they do.

I see. I didn't realize Chuck had that opinion.

UglyDan®©™ November 5th 03 07:05 PM

OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is Toyota andLexus

I've owned Toyota's I liked, Fords sucked and I lemon lawed it), and
lately traded my old 3/4 ton Silverado (which BTW never had a problem
till a fuel pump crapped out) On a newer 02 model Silverado 8.1 Vortec
HD 2500 4x4. With 6000 miles on it the engine sounds like a piece of
crap, It started out as a knock when cold, but now knocks constantly, GM
apparently screwed up the clearance's, put out a TSB on it then
retracted it saying its "Carbon Buildup" BS is all I get from them, But
hey it looks good in the !@#$%%& driveway tho, www.pistonslap.com
tells the tale, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

Doug Kanter November 5th 03 07:34 PM

"UglyDan®©T" wrote in message

GM apparently screwed up the clearance's

Maybe this is why, after 2-3 years on the road, GM truck exhausts smell like
a car shouldn't smell until they've reached 200,000 miles.

UglyDan®©™ November 5th 03 07:54 PM

OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is ToyotaandLexus

(Doug=A0Kanter)wrote
Maybe this is why, after 2-3 years on the road, GM truck exhausts smell
like a car shouldn't smell until they've reached 200,000 miles.

I don't know about that, but I'd guess the knock is so annoying nobody
is willing to get close enuf to get a whiff! UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

Doug Kanter November 5th 03 08:11 PM

OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is ToyotaandLexus

"UglyDan®©T" wrote in message
(Doug Kanter)wrote
Maybe this is why, after 2-3 years on the road, GM truck exhausts smell
like a car shouldn't smell until they've reached 200,000 miles.

I don't know about that, but I'd guess the knock is so annoying nobody
is willing to get close enuf to get a whiff! UD

Well hell....when the typical piston/cylinder fit tolerance is 1/4" plus or
minus 1/2", whattya expect? :-) Not as bad as Chrysler minivans or Neons,
but almost.

basskisser November 6th 03 05:25 PM

(UglyDan®©?) wrote in message ...
I've owned Toyota's I liked, Fords sucked and I lemon lawed it), and
lately traded my old 3/4 ton Silverado (which BTW never had a problem
till a fuel pump crapped out) On a newer 02 model Silverado 8.1 Vortec
HD 2500 4x4. With 6000 miles on it the engine sounds like a piece of
crap, It started out as a knock when cold, but now knocks constantly, GM
apparently screwed up the clearance's, put out a TSB on it then
retracted it saying its "Carbon Buildup" BS is all I get from them, But
hey it looks good in the !@#$%%& driveway tho,
www.pistonslap.com
tells the tale, UD

http://community.webtv.net/capuglyda...inUglyDansJack

Wow, that's a lot of money to spend on something that knocks 6k on it!
I'm surprised that GM isn't trying to clean up behind themselves, and
are instead saying it's carbon! Is that pretty much the end? Are you
still trying to get satisfaction, or is it a dead issue?

UglyDan®©™ November 6th 03 08:35 PM

OT Surprise Winner of JD Powers 2003 Best Auto is Toyota andLexus

(basskisser) wrote
Wow, that's a lot of money to spend on something that knocks 6k on it!
I'm surprised that GM isn't trying to clean up behind themselves, and
are instead saying it's carbon! Is that pretty much the end? Are you
still trying to get satisfaction, or is it a dead issue?

At the moment its a dead issue,They offered me a new truck, of course if
I pay the difference! I refused, Just looking at the new ones makes me
want to puke, Butt Ugly!
They countered offering to up the 3/36 to 7/100.000 warranty,but I
haven't made up my mind yet, Never thot I'd hope for it to blow up, but
thats pretty much the case at the moment. UD