Default Boat crash in Ft. Lauderdale

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Alex wrote:
Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Amazing how little damage to the hull from the video. Alcohol, lots of
alcohol fueled that boat.

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote:

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale, MD, when folks would follow
the GPS to get home.

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote:

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale,
MD, when folks would follow
the GPS to get home.

Midnight and speed. He was not going slow to get that far up the rocks in
a 42’ boat.

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 16:45:16 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote:

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale,
MD, when folks would follow
the GPS to get home.

Midnight and speed. He was not going slow to get that far up the rocks in
a 42’ boat.

For sure speed. Same thing happens in Deale. Going fast and taking the line offered by the GPS has
been the problem more than once.

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote:

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale,
MD, when folks would follow
the GPS to get home.

Midnight and speed. He was not going slow to get that far up the rocks in
a 42’ boat.

For sure speed. Same thing happens in Deale. Going fast and taking the line offered by the GPS has
been the problem more than once.

Everyone knows I am the real Luddite here but I fear modern
electronics is taking the place of basic seamanship and the importance
of local knowledge.

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote:

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?

Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale,
MD, when folks would follow
the GPS to get home.

Midnight and speed. He was not going slow to get that far up the rocks in
a 42’ boat.

For sure speed. Same thing happens in Deale. Going fast and taking the line offered by the GPS has
been the problem more than once.

Everyone knows I am the real Luddite here but I fear modern
electronics is taking the place of basic seamanship and the importance
of local knowledge.

===

There's certainly nothing wrong with basic seamanship and local
knowledge but rule number 1 is to maintain a speed safe for the
conditions. Certainly bopping around in the dark at high speed,
probably after a drink or three, is a recipe for disaster. A former
neighbor of ours, with a boat load of people, and after a night of
drinking, parked his boat on the sandbar west end of Ft Myers Beach.
There were injuries but none of them serious. The same neighbor then
took up flying ultra light aircraft and ended up parked upside down in
a tree out in the boondocks. Bad luck or bad judgement? My guess is
on the latter.

John H. wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote:

Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-...rt-lauderdale/

Cocktails?
Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale,
MD, when folks would follow
the GPS to get home.

Midnight and speed. He was not going slow to get that far up the rocks in
a 42’ boat.

For sure speed. Same thing happens in Deale. Going fast and taking the line offered by the GPS has
been the problem more than once.

Everyone knows I am the real Luddite here but I fear modern
electronics is taking the place of basic seamanship and the importance
of local knowledge.

They were from Indiana but the driver has a $10MM home in Ft, Lauderdale:

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...derdale-jetty/

On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 22:50:10 -0500 (EST), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 13:00:28 -0500, John H. wrote:On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 16:45:16 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:John H. wrote: On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:43 -0500, Alex wrote: Last night...

https://wsvn.com/news/local/several-injured-after-boat-crashes-into-jetty-near-fort-lauderdale/ Cocktails? Not every jetty shows up on a GPS. That happened a few times in Deale, MD, when folks would follow the GPS to get home. Midnight and speed. He was not going slow to get that far up the rocks
ina 42’ boat.For sure speed. Same thing happens in Deale. Going fast and taking the line offered by the GPS hasbeen the problem more than once. Everyone knows I am the real Luddite here but I fear modernelectronics is taking the place of basic seamanship and the importanceof local knowledge.

Why do you fear modern ways of navigating? If you should ever
decide to expand your horizons, you might embrace some of the
newer technology available.

Did you read what John wrote? People who trust their GPS blindly, hit
things that are not in the database. The database for the bay here is
pretty much useless anyway unless you just accept "don't go there" as
an answer.
The other issue is, if your electronics fail, do you just drop anchor
and call sea tow, hoping they can triangulate your position on their
radio or something?
I know people who think their Garmin Chart Plotter is all they ever
need. They don't even have a compass and no charts on board ... if
they could read them in the first place.

If that chart plotter craps out they are screwed, particularly at
night.

OTOH I navigate at night using local landmarks (radio towers, condos,
mangrove islands I recognize) and simply knowing where I am and where
I am going.