Old October 7th 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.boats

Default Cooking advice - steak on a George Foreman down here grill

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 10:47:45 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 1:14:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 11:12:28 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Its Me Wrote in message:
On Saturday, October 5, 2019 at 6:06:01 PM UTC-4, wrote: On Sat, 05 Oct 2019 12:57:34 -0400, John H. wrote: On Sat, 5 Oct 2019 08:28:43 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote: Wrote in message: On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 20:03:59 -0400, Alex wrote:John H. wrote: On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 18:10:45 -0400, wrote: On Thu, 03 Oct 2019 16:14:41 -0400, wrote: On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 14:12:11 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote: I season with Adolphs tenderizer === I assume you use the seasoned variety of Adolphs? How long do you let it sit before cooking? A George might not get hot enough or have the right thermal mass. Seared steaks like that seem best on a heavy cast iron skillet smoking hot when you throw the steak in. It is best to control doneness by the thickness of the

steak
you are cooking. You can buy a little extra cooking time by smearing butter on the cooked part and flip it again. That protects the sear and still lets it cook a little longer. If you are not making your own seasoning mix, that Montreal stuff is OK. That Montreal stuff is mostly salt.Yes, but a light dusting over a steak is better than plain salt and pepper IMO.Just looking at the nutritional label, comparing sodium to pure salt,and doing some math, I get 57% salt by weight. Since salt weighs morethan the garlic and pepper it is a little less by volume. The shortanswer is a quarter tsp is 180mg sodium. (8% of DV) It does appear the secret ingredients are garlic, red and black pepperand paprika. (maybe some other un named "flavorings") One taste will tell you that salt overpowers all the other ingredients. Yuppers! Like I said a lot of seared steak recipes just use salt, maybe some pepper. I guess they think if you want to live forever, you
wouldn't be eating steak.Now there's a new study out that says that eating red meat isn't actually bad for you.All things in moderation.

If you wait long enough there will be studys that contradict all
other studys. Studys have more to do with what the study doer
wants to portray, than with scientific facts.

That is true, A "study" is just the careful assembly of facts that
support a preconceived outcome.

Does that mean that the studies saying red meat and salt are bad as well?

Here's a good article on salt. Note that for us old f'ckers, the recommended amount of sodium is
less that 1500 mg per day.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...010-story.html

Old October 8th 19, 01:13 AM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

Its Me Wrote in message:
[...]

And here's an article that says otherwise:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180809202057.htm

In part:

"The World Health Organization recommends consumption of less than two grams of sodium -- that's one teaspoon of salt -- a day as a preventative measure against cardiovascular disease, but there is little evidence in terms of improved health outcomes that individuals ever achieve at such a low level," said Andrew Mente, first author of the study and a PHRI researcher.

He added that the American Heart Association recommends even less -- 1.5 grams of sodium a day for individuals at risk of heart disease.

"Only in the communities with the most sodium intake -- those over five grams a day of sodium -- which is mainly in China, did we find a direct link between sodium intake and major cardiovascular events like heart attack and stroke.

"In communities that consumed less than five grams of sodium a day, the opposite was the case. Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmm.....
Old October 8th 19, 12:40 PM posted to rec.boats

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.
Old October 8th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.boats

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.
Old October 8th 19, 03:18 PM posted to rec.boats

On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 05:37:54 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.

And don't forget the relationship between sodium intake and blood pressu

https://www.cdc.gov/salt/research_re...d_pressure.htm

Old October 8th 19, 06:02 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.

I suspect that was poorly worded and they meant the opposite.
Something like higher intake results in lower "good" outcomes.
Old October 8th 19, 08:09 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction
or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is
that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went
down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram
level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.

I suspect that was poorly worded and they meant the opposite.
Something like higher intake results in lower "good" outcomes.

Seems as if journalists these days never took a decent English class.

Old October 8th 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.

I suspect that was poorly worded and they meant the opposite.
Something like higher intake results in lower "good" outcomes.

Except it's repeated more than once. The bold, lead-in statement:

"New research shows that for the vast majority of individuals, sodium consumption does not increase health risks except for those who eat more than five grams a day, the equivalent of 2.5 teaspoons of salt."

Seems pretty clear.
Old October 8th 19, 10:07 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction
or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is
that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went
down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram
level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.

I suspect that was poorly worded and they meant the opposite.
Something like higher intake results in lower "good" outcomes.

Seems as if journalists these days never took a decent English class.

Except for Harry, that is.
Old October 8th 19, 10:30 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

On Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 7:40:32 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

Sodium consumption was inversely associated with myocardial infarction
or heart attacks and total mortality, and no increase in stroke."

Hmmmm.

Yeah, I had to read that a couple of times. What they are saying is
that as salt intake rose, the occurrence of all those bad things went
down (inversely associated), at least until they reached the 5 gram
level. That *does* make one go, hmmm...

In the end, you gotta do what works for you.

I suspect that was poorly worded and they meant the opposite.
Something like higher intake results in lower "good" outcomes.

Seems as if journalists these days never took a decent English class.

Except for Harry, that is.

But Harry was not really a journalist. Jingle writer maybe.