Old October 7th 19, 02:49 PM posted to rec.boats

Default Montreal Steak Seasoning MSS)

On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 14:05:00 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 06 Oct 2019 10:58:59 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 07:15:03 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Sunday, October 6, 2019 at 9:50:43 AM UTC-4, John H wrote:
Some quick facts:

MSS contains 180 mg of sodium/serving (8% of DV, which is 2400 mg per the FDA).

The directions for use say, "Shake 1 tbsp of seasoning per 1 pound of steak burgers or pork before
grilling or broiling"

One tablespoon equals three teaspoons.

The 'serving size' on the MSS bottle is '1/4 tsp'

So the recommended use (1 tbsp) would provide one with 12 'servings', or 2160 mg of sodium, or 90%
of the FDA recommended daily maximum of sodium.

That's why I don't use Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Fun Fact:

You don't *have* to use the recommended amount. Just last night I grilled a ribeye, and used Montreal seasoning on it. Nowhere near a Tbsp. And I ate half of the ribeye.

Oh, and if you're eating 16 oz of meat in a meal (to use the recommended amount of MSS), you have other issues.

That's very true. But how many folks do you think use 1/4 tsp for their steak.

I suppose I have other issues...it's hard to find a ribeye at Costco that doesn't weight 16oz or
more!

I agree with "Me". A tablespoon is a whole lot of MSS. Bear in mind
they are just trying to sell more MSS. (Like rinse and repeat on a
shampoo bottle)
I usually cook a 1 lb rib eye too but I don't eat it all at one
sitting and I don't even pretend to be healthy. I cut the "eye" out
and save it for a sandwich or two later. Deuce gets the fat. When you
are searing these steaks or cooking them on the grill a lot of that
salt falls off anyway.

Yup, a tablespoon is a whole lot, and that's why they put those big holes in the shaker top - so
you'll use a whole lot! But even only a half-tablespoon is more than 50% of the FDA recommendation.

And from now on, for the rest of your life, you'll remember that every time you tip that shaker!

Old October 7th 19, 08:14 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

I think some of us already knew that ;-)
I use a light dusting and if you are cooking on the grill a lot does
fall off. The real test is your BP cuff anyway.
Old October 7th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

I guess I need more sodium. 99/65 last week. Normal is about 113.

Old October 7th 19, 09:07 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

Sodium will raise it, along with sleeping problems, anxiety, booze, and not catching fish.
Old October 7th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

If my BP gets much under 105/xx I get dizzy. My BP has been ~140/80 my
whole life (since High School anyway). I get 130/7x now with meds.

Old October 7th 19, 11:29 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

A boat ride always lowers mine and I don't ever fish. Maybe that is an
anxiety I am avoiding.
Old October 8th 19, 02:19 AM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

I fish, but casually. Was out to New Melones Lake Friday, Saturday.
Trolling for trout. No trout, but some nice black bass. 1.5-4#.
Beautiful weather, and wife was with the ladies in Carmel.

Old October 8th 19, 12:33 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

How's the water level in the lake? We've not had any rain here to speak of in about a month now.
Old October 8th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

[...]

High level. I think 90%. Last years deluge filled all the lakes to
overflowing. We get very little rain during the summer. Some thunder
storms in the mountains, but not a lot of total rain. We get most in the
3-4 months December to March. We are sub desert in most of the state.