Old August 13th 19, 11:15 AM posted to rec.boats

Default No mental illness here!

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 20:01:55 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 19:25:29 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:52:00 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:35:13 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 13:45:29 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote:

John H. Wrote in message:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 07:22:12 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:On 8/11/2019 1:04 PM, Keyser Soze wrote: On 8/11/19 12:39 PM,
wrote: On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 05:44:16 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote: An article from NBC News says: "Experts, however, have said there's no evidence that people with mental illness are at a higher risk for committing gun violence. "It is important to note that the overwhelming majority of people with mental illness are not violent and far more likely to be victims of violent crime than perpetrators of violence," the American Psychiatric Association said in a statement this week. "Rhetoric that argues otherwise will further stigmatize and interfere with people accessing needed treatment. Individuals can also be emboldened to act violently by the public discourse and divisive rhetoric."" Sane, rational people don't pick up a weapon

and
kill multiple, random people. They are mentally ill. The APA is clueless. It sounds like they just want to protect their income stream. I have been saying this is the position of mental health professionals for years. They think that as soon as you identify people as having a mental issue they will become stigmatized so people will be reluctant to seek help. It is similar to how they talked about AIDS. That explains why doctors want to use blanket gun regulation instead of just trying to identify the dangerous people. Stigma is a huge issue preventing the mentally ill from seeking help. There are other issues, of course, such as availability of treatment, availability of transportation, funding, et cetera, but stigma is a biggie. Comments about mental health professionals "protecting the income stream" are just ignorant, right-wing nonsense. Although I agree with the concept of background checks for all gun
purchases and/or permits, a background check is only as good as theinformation it contains.The HIPAA privacy laws should be re-visited and re-written to allowmental health professionals to alert law enforcement officials ofpotentially dangerous and mentally unstable people. This shouldbe included in the background check data.Mike DeWine, (R) of Ohio has introduced an idea that is similar inconcept to the "Section 38" statute in Massachusetts that allows familymembers, police and, in some cases, health care officials topetition a court to have a drug addict or alcoholic remanded tothe care and custody of the state for treatment. Because it iscourt ordered, this information can be included in backgroundchecks.---This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.comIf Bubba has his girlfriend buy him a gun, more stringent background checks are meaningless - exceptfor law-abiding citizens.

Aren't there criminal laws that deal with straw man purchases?

Criminals don't give a **** about laws. Girl friend buys the gun, gives it to boyfriend, calls cops
and reports it stolen.

Easy peasy!

That sounds like a lot of work in a country where there are tens of
millions of totally untraceable (once stolen) guns floating around. It
is hard to find statistics but guns are one of the most traded things
in the subculture of stolen property, just based on the number we hear
about that are taken from homes and cars, including cop cars.
If the cops actually did trace guns used in street crimes, having your
girlfriend buy it is not going to trick anyone but they don't usually
go to that much effort, if they find the gun at all.

Might be a 'lot of work', but it's one of the major ways the boys in Chicago get their guns. I've
bought several guns, and didn't think there was much 'work' involved at all.

You still have that paper trail problem. If anyone you know buys the
gun, it gets it very close to you when they trace it. The cops are
usually smart enough to put that together if their intelligence unit
(snitches) is any good.
If Kiesha is Jamal's girlfriend and if she bought the gun Jamal is
suspected of using in a murder they will sweat her until she breaks or
Jamal has her killed. They already have probable cause on a federal
gun trafficking charge.
Usually in Chicago, we are talking about handguns so it is illegal for
Kiesha to go to Gary IN and buy it anyway. (the alleged supply chain
of Chicago handguns). If she is a Gary resident it is still a federal
crime to transfer it across state lines.

Keisha can go right outside Chicago and buy the gun in Illinois.

"According to the Trace Report, about 40 percent of illegally used or possessed firearms recovered
in Chicago from 2013 to 2016 came from dealers in Illinois. The remaining 60 percent came from
states with less regulation over firearms. Indiana accounted for about 1 in 5 of these weapons,
followed by Mississippi and Wisconsin. The report says these trends have been consistent over the
past decade. In the same time span, seven gun or sporting goods stores in Illinois were the top 10
source dealers of recovered weapons in Chicago. Three others were in Indiana."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nd-murder-rate

Someone is going to Indiana to buy guns!

Old August 13th 19, 11:16 AM posted to rec.boats

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

I bought my pistols so long ago, you just paid the guy and took the gun. I
remember the advert for my 357 was on the trap club bulletin board.

Nowadays you have to present ID, fill out a form and pay for it. Not a lot of work involved.
Old August 13th 19, 11:36 AM posted to rec.boats

On 8/12/19 9:48 PM, I Ohlphart wrote:

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:

On 8/12/19 3:52 PM, wrote: On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:35:13 -0400, John H. wrote: On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 13:45:29 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart wrote: John H. Wrote in message: Aren't there criminal laws that deal with straw man purchases? Criminals don't give a **** about laws. Girl friend buys the gun, gives it to boyfriend, calls cops and reports it stolen. Easy peasy! That sounds like a lot of work in a country where there are tens of millions of totally untraceable (once stolen) guns floating around. It is hard to find statistics but guns are one of the most traded things in the subculture of stolen property, just based on the number we hear about that are taken from homes and cars, including cop cars. If the cops actually did trace guns used in street crimes, having your girlfriend buy it is not going to trick anyone but they don't usually go to that much effort, if they find the gun at all. I sold a rifle last week to a good fella. I could have sold it to him privately, since no FFL is required for rifles, but we both went to an FFL I know and split the $20 charge so there was a real receipt of transfer for both of us.

Good Fellas= A movie based on the book Wise Guy.

The term you want is "goodfella," typically one word, not two, and the
name of the book is "Wiseguy," again, one word, not two. I'll bet you
never read the book.

Old August 13th 19, 03:34 PM posted to rec.boats

[...]

Well in that case, the way you spelled it sounded kind of fagish.
Are you a fag Fat Harry?
--
..

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old August 13th 19, 04:18 PM posted to rec.boats

On 8/13/19 10:34 AM, Justan Ohlphart wrote:

[...]

Believe it or not, ****-for-brains, words and phrases may be used in
different ways and have different meanings. Your reference was to the
criminal nickname. My reference was to a decent guy.

Old August 13th 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.boats

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

Probably the legal owner who had it stolen. I also wonder what
percentage of crime guns were actually traced. It is very rare to hear
about stolen guns being returned to the owner. I have never heard of
it happening but I suppose it might if the gun was recovered as part
of a stolen property investigation.
Old August 13th 19, 06:58 PM posted to rec.boats

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

Go read the article. A hell of a lot of guns are traced. Don't know where the 'stolen guns returned
to owner' came from. That had nothing to do with the discussion.

"From 2013 to 2016, almost 7,000 illegal guns were recovered each year in Chicago, according to the
city's Gun Trace Report . In 2017, the total was 7,932, according to the Chicago police. As of Dec.
6, the total for 2018 was 8,309, and police say that could surpass 10,000 by year's end."

Here's the actual report, if you're interested:

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...er/GTR2017.pdf

Old August 13th 19, 09:33 PM posted to rec.boats

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

I have an acquaintance who had his firearms stolen. Only one he got back
was a pistol that ended up as evidence in a Hells Angel murder trial.
Oakland police returned it after the trial.

Old August 13th 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.boats

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

The "back to owner" was just a question about how good this actual
trace is. There are computer records of every NEW gun delivered to a
dealer but after that it is a paper chase and I don't believe the cops
do that chase unless a president was shot or something. When Harry
took his gun to the FFL to transfer it to his good fella there was a
paper record (4473) made and it should be in the FFL's "Bound Book"
but the 4473 does not get entered into any ATF data base or even
mailed off to be put in a file cabinet in DC so if that gun does get
traced the only person who will pop is the original purchaser and only
if they go to that first dealer and inspect his records.
The original purchaser would have to say "I sold it to X and dealer Y
should still have that form on file", in states with universal
background checks.
If the original purchaser is dead or just forgot who he sold the gun
to, the trail goes cold.

In these active shooter cases where the gun was purchased new and
never resold, it can be fairly easily traced with a quick peek at the
bound book or even a phone call to the dealer but after that it will
usually be a dead end unless the original dealer just happens to have
that subsequent transfer in his bound book.

OTOH if the gun was reported stolen, there is a record, on file in
NCIC and the local police agency so there is a good trail back to the
victim of the theft. Hence, if they are really doing anything but a
quick check of the ATF online database of new gun transfers from
manufacturers to the first FFL, the owner should get his gun back. How
often does that happen?

OK then you say "But what about that instant check, wasn't that
recorded"?
Nope, by federal law (Brady Bill)

PROHIBITION RELATING To ESTABLISHMENT OF REGISTRATION SYSTEMS
WITH RESPECT TO FIREARMS.—NO department, agency, officer,
or employee of the United States may— (1) require that any record
or portion thereof generated by the system established under
this section be recorded at or transferred to a facility
owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any
State or political subdivision thereof; or (2) use the system
established under this section to estab-lish any system for the
registration of firearms, firearm owners, or firearm
transactions or dispositions, except with respect to
persons, prohibited by section 922 (g) or (n) of title 18,
United States Code or State law, from receiving a firearm,
Old August 13th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.boats

John H. Wrote in message:
[...]

When you read this carefully, it prohibits *Federal* departments,
agencies, officer or employees to require a registration system,
including a state system.

It doesn't prohibit a *state* from establishing a registration system
however. Massachusetts maintains one. They have a record of every
gun purchased in the state, who the purchaser is, what type of firearm
and when purchased. Also maintains a registration of who holds
permits and what type. Firearm owners are also required to report
transfer of ownership or sale which can be done on-line and the
report must indicate seller, buyer, addresses, firearm type and serial
number and the seller and buyer's permit numbers.