Old June 12th 19, 01:39 PM posted to rec.boats

Default What is your powerline frequency.

Mine currently reads 61.9 hz
--
..

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Old June 12th 19, 04:52 PM posted to rec.boats

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 08:39:15 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Mine currently reads 61.9 hz

I bet your meter is wrong. The grid sync's at 60 hz with minuscule
variation or the whole thing would blow up.
What does an old style synchronous clock say? It would be gaining
almost 2 minutes an hour if what you say is right.
Old June 12th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.boats

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 14:10:40 -0400 (EDT), Justan Ohlphart
wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 08:39:15 -0400 (EDT), Justan wrote:Mine currently reads 61.9 hzI bet your meter is wrong. The grid sync's at 60 hz with minusculevariation or the whole thing would blow up.What does an old style synchronous clock say? It would be gainingalmost 2 minutes an hour if what you say is right.

That's why I'm asking. The surge guard in my camper is saying 62hz
and my multimeter was reading 61.7-61.9

The real test is an old style clock or even a newer one that clocks
off the line frequency. Compare that to your cell phone time that is
probably synched to WWV. (or whatever the NBS is these days)
You are talking about almost a 3% variation from the norm and that
doesn't sound right. It might be worth looking at the line with a
scope for some kind of harmonic that is tricking the frequency counter
but I would not expect to see anything.
Old June 12th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 08:39:15 -0400 (EDT), Justan wrote:Mine currently reads 61.9 hzI bet your meter is wrong. The grid sync's at 60 hz with minusculevariation or the whole thing would blow up.What does an old style synchronous clock say? It would be gainingalmost 2 minutes an hour if what you say is right.

That's why I'm asking. The surge guard in my camper is saying 62hz
and my multimeter was reading 61.7-61.9

The real test is an old style clock or even a newer one that clocks
off the line frequency. Compare that to your cell phone time that is
probably synched to WWV. (or whatever the NBS is these days)
You are talking about almost a 3% variation from the norm and that
doesn't sound right. It might be worth looking at the line with a
scope for some kind of harmonic that is tricking the frequency counter
but I would not expect to see anything.

That or an old school Hammond B3 organ. If it's in pitch, it's 60hz.
If it's sharp, the freq is more, if flat, less.

At least in the old days, the power grid's frequency varied over time, but the goal was to average out at 60hz. I'll have to try to remember to bring home the Fluke 8060A to check it.
Old June 13th 19, 02:10 AM posted to rec.boats

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

That is what I use and mine always says 60.00.
If you stare at it long enough that 4th digit might flicker a little.
(59.99-60.01)
One of the transmission guys said that is when the grid is switching
big loads and there was a little mismatch until they all got in sync
again. The grid can't operate out of sync and those generators will
drag their ass back in line pretty fast after they are connected
assuming they were not locked in first. I think these days it is not
great big contactors clacking in. It is electronic.
I have lost touch with the guys who did this stuff for a living.
Old June 13th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 14:10:40 -0400 (EDT), Justan Wrote in message: On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 08:39:15 -0400 (EDT), Justan wrote:Mine currently reads 61.9 hzI bet your meter is wrong. The grid sync's at 60 hz with minusculevariation or the whole thing would blow up.What does an old style synchronous clock say? It would be gainingalmost 2 minutes an hour if what you say is right. That's why I'm asking. The surge guard in my camper is saying 62hz and my multimeter was reading 61.7-61.9The real test is an old style clock or even a newer one that clocksoff the line frequency. Compare that to your cell phone time that isprobably synched to WWV. (or whatever the NBS is these days)You are talking about almost a 3% variation from the norm and thatdoesn't sound right. It might be worth looking at the line with ascope for some kind of harmonic that is tricking the frequency counterbut I would not expect to see anything.

Can't find an ac powered analog clock anywhere. I built a
heathkit single trace scope as part of an electronics course.
That's long gone. I just bought two different electricity usage
monitors. The voltage differs less than 1/2 volt. Frequency is
exact except the kill-a-watt lags a little behind the Poniie and
the poniie has 2 digit precision while the kill-a-watt has 1
digit precision. Frequency ran between 59.9x to 60
hz.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old June 14th 19, 12:22 AM posted to rec.boats

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 18:58:00 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Frequency ran between 59.9x to 60
hz.

===

That sounds spot on with what I'd expect to see.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old June 14th 19, 04:23 AM posted to rec.boats

Wrote in message:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 18:58:00 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:Frequency ran between 59.9x to 60 hz.===That sounds spot on with what I'd expect to see.---This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

My surge protector is reporting the wrong line frequency and my
multimeter does as well. The devices I just bought report
correctly. All is well except that my surge protector shuts off
my 120 ac unexpectedly and I am having a hard time convincing my
dealer and manufacturer that it's defective. It didn't fail while
the dealer was testing it.
I got a call from the dealer and now they've decided to replace
the unit. I'm not going to ask why the change of
heart.:-)

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Overspeed alarm based on alternator frequency CS Electronics 19 October 16th 06 08:07 PM
Oil change frequency? Steve Cruising 12 June 18th 05 01:51 AM
FS: In New Zealand - Turn your PC into a dual frequency color fishfinder. Bert van den Berg Marketplace 0 March 10th 05 11:42 PM
depth finder transducer frequency question RB Electronics 23 January 15th 04 06:25 PM
Fog signal frequency Simple Simon ASA 18 September 3rd 03 01:46 AM