Default Jazz - Ken Burns

If you like jazz at all you should check out the Ken Burns show, now
on Amazon. If nothing else there is a lot of great music there.
Tim Tim is offline

John H
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 23:07:32 -0400, wrote:

If you like jazz at all you should check out the Ken Burns show, now
on Amazon. If nothing else there is a lot of great music there.

I have never been able to wrap my ears around jazz at all. Sandy loves it, but if I'm in the car we
compromise with Bluegrass, which isn't my favorite either.

Then why do you attend all the bluegrass festivals

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:14:18 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

John H
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 23:07:32 -0400, wrote:

If you like jazz at all you should check out the Ken Burns show, now
on Amazon. If nothing else there is a lot of great music there.

I have never been able to wrap my ears around jazz at all. Sandy loves it, but if I'm in the car we
compromise with Bluegrass, which isn't my favorite either.

Then why do you attend all the bluegrass festivals

Same reason you have the heart gizmo! Wife wants it, so I do it!

Tim Tim is offline

9:46 AMJohn H
Same reason you have the heart gizmo! Wife wants it, so I do it!

That is foundational truth! Best explanation yet!

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 07:05:51 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 23:07:32 -0400, wrote:

If you like jazz at all you should check out the Ken Burns show, now
on Amazon. If nothing else there is a lot of great music there.

I have never been able to wrap my ears around jazz at all. Sandy loves it, but if I'm in the car we
compromise with Bluegrass, which isn't my favorite either.

===

Of course there are many different types of jazz, and a car is not
exactly the ideal listening environment for any music except possibly
hard rock. I tend to prefer solo instumentalists like Miles Davis or
Gerry Mulligan, either performing individually, or in small groups.

Speaking of music, we saw a local performance of The Million Dollar
Quartet the other night. It was very good and brought back a lot of
memories from the early days of rock and roll. It's a musical based
on Sam Phillips and his legendary Sun recording studios in Memphis.
The quartet, which he got together for one famous recording session,
was Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash.

We were at Sun Studios a few years back on one of our road trips and
it was great - well worth a visit.

Some of my jazz favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5uo9_OijY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQD3Bv5ZG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVarQbNAwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdU5sHigYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzPZvKSdN7g

---
https://www.avg.com

On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 21:05:51 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/20/2019 7:05 AM, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 23:07:32 -0400, wrote:

If you like jazz at all you should check out the Ken Burns show, now
on Amazon. If nothing else there is a lot of great music there.

I have never been able to wrap my ears around jazz at all. Sandy loves
it, but if I'm in the car we
compromise with Bluegrass, which isn't my favorite either.

There are many types of "jazz", some I like and some I don't.
I like the type that is a cross of some of the old "big band"
era tunes.

I am currently arranging and sponsoring a concert featuring a friend
Mrs.E. and I met several years ago back when I had the music shop.

She does all types of music, from rock and roll to the old classics of
the 40's and 50's. This event is going to be very cool
because she arranged some musicians who have recorded and
backed the likes of Ray Charles, Tony Bennett, and others
as her backing band.

Sample of her performing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEtze5J1f3I

---
https://www.avg.com

Wayne liked Dave Brubeck. He even performed at my high school. He grew up
in Concord, Ca. Not far from El Cerrito where I grew up. He graduated
from UC Berkeley.

===

We saw him once, a long time ago, at Carnegie Hall in NYC. Rumor has
it that every so often he would show up unannounced at a steak house
near here on Sanibel Island.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-rebirth-of-ellington-s-jazz-bar-restaurant#/

wrote:

[...]

I was a little disappointed that they did not make the link to Motown
after doing over 2 shows on swing and the big band sound. They could
have easily pointed out the jazz roots in the Funk Brothers and the
fact that they were doing jazz gigs on the side during their time at
Motown. Most of that studio music was improved and they laid the
vocals down on what the Funk Brothers gave them.
It was still a pretty good show.
I am still looking for things to watch tho. I went through WWII in
color again and a few other WWII shows. "Stalin" is interesting and if
you are a plane guy B17, Flying Legend is good..
Now I am starting to think my wife was right tho. I do know how this
will come out ;-)
The Spymasters is pretty good if you want a little more insight into
the CIA from a dozen former directors.

For you jazz fans... Wizard of Woodstock General 2 June 4th 09 12:14 AM
My ass burns Doug Kanter[_2_] General 0 September 16th 07 02:01 PM
My ass burns Doug Kanter[_2_] General 35 September 16th 07 01:58 PM