Default Woofer cable works

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 7:38:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 14:26:52 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/12/2019 1:34 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 13:08:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/12/2019 12:57 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:40:10 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 4/11/2019 8:36 AM, True North wrote: Last week there was a discussion about contacting a sub woofer with a home theater system. I needed a y type connector and after getting the wrong one at Wally-Mart (3.5mm audio plug to two RCA male plugs). I returned that and went to the Source. They still had an older one male RCA plug to two male RCA plugs connector cable. Just what the doctor ordered. Base now sounds fine without annoying pops or hum. That's good except the Y connector should have one *female* RCA and two *male* RCA plugs unless you also used a female to female coupler. I think that's what you meant.---This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

He did mention that he had a "cable assembly" with 2 males on one
end and 1 male on the other.

That is what he said and I sort of understand it but I hope he doesn't
mean he fed the combined left and right channel "out" into the sub
woof "in". He has a mono now if he did because they are shorted
together.
I haven't really been following this that closely tho. My eyes glazed
over when they started talking about stereo systems approaching 10
grand. That is a nice outboard, that sounds better than any stereo to
me ;-)

No. Most 5.1 and 7.1 receiver/amps have a single RCA "subwoofer" output
that passes the combined bass from both main channels. Bass isn't
"directional" so there's no need for two subwoofer outputs.

Most powered subwoofers (at least the ones I've had) have *two* line
level inputs. Sometimes one is labeled as "LFE" (low freq effects)
and the other is usually not labeled. For best performance overall,
you put a "Y" connector that feeds the single sub-out on the
receiver/amp to *both* of the line level (female RCA) inputs
on the sub.

OK that makes sense now. My sub woofs only have one "in" but they
don't cost as much as a good used car. ;-)
It does explain the Male to Male/Male tho if the cable is long enough
to connect both components.

Yeah, when I was looking for a picture of a "Y" connector I noticed that
some receiver/amps are now including two sub-woofer outputs instead of
the typical one. The reason is to allow having two subs shaking the
room instead of one. People tend to get carried away with
bass, IMO. Other than rap music or movie special effects the bass
should be more subdued than what most people set it at.

I have one here next to my chair, hooked to the TV but I don't crank
it up unless we are watching a movie that benefits from it. I can
bother the neighbors if I want ;-)
My wife has the sub woof set to high in the bedroom IMHO and sometimes
regular TV shows rattle the windows. I notice it more in the other
room because that base travels through the whole house and there is a
block wall between us.

I read an article on how to build a media room. When building a new house or doing an extensive remodel, you decouple your media room from the rest of the house. It's mainly putting in twice as many 2x4's in the walls (8" centers) so that every other one is offset an inch or so side to side. What that does is allow the sheetrock on on side of the wall to be fastened to 2x4s that are not the same 2x4s that the other side of the walls sheetrock is fastened to. The walls are decoupled, and with some insulation installed in the middle, the sound does not propagate through the wall nearly as much as normal. If you were building a new home and money wasn't an issue, apply the same principle to the floors and ceiling and you have a really quiet media room for both the peeps in there and the rest of the house. Cool concept.

True North wrote:
Mr. Luddite

"Looks like in the link below. Doesn't mean *all* setups are like
this but everyone I've ever used is from the Velodynes to a Polk
to an inexpensive Sony sub.

https://funkyimg.com/i/2T6Kx.jpg "

My JVC home theater system was probably even cheaper than your inexpensive Sony...I'd guess below $300.00 up here so less than 200.00 down there.
Still works great though...after more than a dozen years...probably pushing towards 20 years.

---

How's the "base" sound?

Its Me

"I read an article on how to build a media room. Â*When building a new house or doing an extensive remodel, you decouple your media room from the rest of the house. Â*It's mainly putting in twice as many 2x4's in the walls (8" centers) so that every other one is offset an inch or so side to side. Â*What that does is allow the sheetrock on on side of the wall to be fastened to 2x4s that are not the same 2x4s that the other side of the walls sheetrock is fastened to. Â*The walls are decoupled, and with some insulation installed in the middle, the sound does not propagate through the wall nearly as much as normal. Â*If you were building a new home and money wasn't an issue, apply the same principle to the floors and ceiling and you have a really quiet media room for both the peeps in there and the rest of the house. Â*Cool concept."

Duh!
That method of soundproofing has been around for a long time.

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 03:59:10 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

Its Me

[...]

===

Nice try at immitating 'Airree but it makes you sound less than
bright.

Somethings are worth repeating.

---
https://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

I am surprised an 8" concrete block wall is not better than it is. You
can't hear any of the midrange or high tones but the sub woof still
gets through. I wonder if that double framed wall is any better..

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 03:59:10 -0700 (PDT), True NorthÂ*
wrote:Â*

Its MeÂ*
Â*
Â*
"I read an article on how to build a media room. Â*When building a new house or doing an extensive remodel, you decouple your media room from the rest of the house. Â*It's mainly putting in twice as many 2x4's in the walls (8" centers) so that every other one is offset an inch or so side to side. Â*What that does is allow theÂ*

sheetrock on on side of the wall to be fastened to 2x4s that are not the same 2x4s that the other side of the walls sheetrock is fastened to. Â*The walls are decoupled, and with some insulation installed in the middle, the sound does not propagate through the wall nearly as much as normal. Â*If you were building a new home and moneyÂ*
wasn't an issue, apply the same principle to the floors and ceiling and you have a really quiet media room for both the peeps in there and the rest of the house. Â*Cool concept."Â*
Â*
Â*
Duh!Â*
That method of soundproofing has been around for a long time.Â*
Â*

"I am surprised an 8" concrete block wall is not better than it is. YouÂ*
can't hear any of the midrange or high tones but the sub woof stillÂ*
gets through. I wonder if that double framed wall is any better..Â*"

Up here they use a solid wall of concrete or blocks between town or row houses. Supposed to reduce noise between the units but with the offset framing it might help to use proper soundproofing baffles rather than cheaper fibreglass batts. As for which system is better...I'd probably ask my nephew for the latest info. He has a medium sized drywall and accoustical ceiling company that always seems busy.

On 4/13/2019 11:09 AM, True North wrote:

[...]

When I was building the stage for the second guitar/music shop I also
built a couple of additional rooms, one for storage and the other as
a "green" room or practice room. The practice room was on the other
side of a recording studio that sometimes got loud. I didn't know
enough to de-couple the dividing room studs but I insulated with
regular fiberglass and then put this stuff on the studs before
hanging the sheetrock. This acoustic barrier material is extremely
dense and did a good job of knocking the level of sound that penetrated
the wall from the recording studio:

http://tinyurl.com/y3cnrxd3

---
https://www.avg.com

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 6:59:13 AM UTC-4, True North wrote:
[...]

Duh, yourself.

While that method may have been around for a while, the concept of having a home theater, or media room, is fairly new. Other than a few well-off audiophiles in past years, how many have actually used that method of construction for their homes? Certainly no janitors from the Crown Corp have, eh? How is your media room constructed?

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 10:46:16 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 03:59:10 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

Its Me

[...]

The trick is to provide mechanical islolation between the inner and
outer wall. Concrete block doesn't really do that. The best sound
insulating material for boats has two layers of lead faced foil
sandwiched around a layer of foam.

---
https://www.avg.com

===Â*

"Nice try at immitating 'Airree but it makes you sound less thanÂ*
bright.Â*

Somethings are worth repeating."

---Â*

What are you whining about now?
I'm not imitating anybody...simply stating a fact.
Y'all sure do miss Harry when he's not around.

How it works... Keyser Söze General 1 February 23rd 16 11:06 PM
Yep..it works jlrogers±³© ASA 0 December 13th 06 11:06 PM
It works! RCE General 5 February 17th 06 12:57 PM
Furuno GPS NEMA data cable connectors - anything else works? Jessie Cruising 10 December 20th 03 01:45 AM
Furuno GPS NEMA data cable connectors - anything else works? Jessie Electronics 5 December 20th 03 01:45 AM