Tim Tim is offline

Default Using pellets on a charcoal grill?

Bill
Get a Smoke Tube. Will take pellets or chips. This is the one I have.
Used stand alone to smoke cheese.
https://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Smoker...-2-spons&psc=1

Glad you posted that, Bill. Thanks!

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 11:19:50 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Bill
Get a Smoke Tube. Will take pellets or chips. This is the one I have.
Used stand alone to smoke cheese.
https://www.amazon.com/Pellet-Smoker...-2-spons&psc=1

Glad you posted that, Bill. Thanks!

Based on his suggestion the other day, I ordered one and just got it from Amazon. Will use it next
time I smoke.
Tim Tim is offline

1:38 PMJohn H
Based on his suggestion the other day, I ordered one and just got it from Amazon. Will use it next
time I smoke.

Good. We’ll see what happens...

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 06:29:34 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Been wondering about throwing some traeger pellets onmy charcoal grill. At my farm I have about all the cooking Woods I can cut. Cherry, wild plumb, Apple, persimmon, pecan, walnut, etc. one thing I don’t have is mesquite. So I thought after I got the charcoal and royal oak going I’d throw on some mesquite pellets. Then I

hear that you need to soak them in water and wrap them in punctured tin foil and let them smolder. Then I’m told not to do it at all.

As long as they make smoke who cares. Oh well. I guess I’ll try something to see what doesn’t work..

I throw wood chips in my gas grille all the time. It works if you can
keep them from just flaming up. On the metal plates, with low heat
they do smoke tho.
It may just be me but mesquite is not my favorite. I lean toward
hickory most of the time but button wood is good for fish like mahi

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 07:50:08 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

John H
On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 06:29:34 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

Been wondering about throwing some traeger pellets onmy charcoal grill. At my farm I have about all the cooking Woods I can cut. Cherry, wild plumb, Apple, persimmon, pecan, walnut, etc. one thing I don’t have is mesquite. So I thought after I got the charcoal and royal oak going I’d throw on some mesquite pellets. Then I

hear that you need to soak them in water and wrap them in punctured tin foil and let them smolder. Then I’m told not to do it at all.

As long as they make smoke who cares. Oh well. I guess I’ll try something to see what doesn’t work..

Don't know where you heard anything about soaking pellets in water, but they'll just turn to mush if
you do. They'll become just like wet sawdust.

Well on the back of some hickory bag it said to soak them and put them on a metal tray or something to that effect.

Let me clarify, these were some kind of a processed hickory chip that reminds me of an oversized chicklet chewing gum. Total hardwood. Next time I go through the store I’ll find it and post about it.

You should have hickory trees in the woods near you. I know at IBM
school in Atlanta I gathered up some hickory sticks from the woods
right behind the place where we were put up. It made grilling on those
gas grills they had a lot better.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 10:57:08 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 4/9/19 9:29 AM, Tim wrote:
Been wondering about throwing some traeger pellets onmy charcoal grill. At my farm I have about all the cooking Woods I can cut. Cherry, wild plumb, Apple, persimmon, pecan, walnut, etc. one thing I don’t have is mesquite. So I thought after I got the charcoal and royal oak going I’d throw on some mesquite pellets. Then

I hear that you need to soak them in water and wrap them in punctured tin foil and let them smolder. Then I’m told not to do it at all.

As long as they make smoke who cares. Oh well. I guess I’ll try something to see what doesn’t work..

Too much time on your hands.

Good food takes time.

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 11:35:50 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 4/9/19 11:22 AM, Tim wrote:
Keyser Soze
On 4/9/19 9:29 AM, Tim wrote:
Been wondering about throwing some traeger pellets onmy charcoal grill. At my farm I have about all the cooking Woods I can cut. Cherry, wild plumb, Apple, persimmon, pecan, walnut, etc. one thing I don’t have is mesquite. So I thought after I got the charcoal and royal oak going I’d throw on some mesquite pellets. Then

I hear that you need to soak them in water and wrap them in punctured tin foil and let them smolder. Then I’m told not to do it at all.

As long as they make smoke who cares. Oh well. I guess I’ll try something to see what doesn’t work..

Too much time on your hands.

Beats the drive through at the local Tastie-Shak...

Those are your choices, eh? Maybe you should move to a place with more
eating venues.

Yeah, why learn to do anything if you can just pay someone?