Default Betsy displays some sense!

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:46:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2018 1:27 PM, wrote:

The transformer does surprise me tho, since I assume it was an off the
rack U/L (or other NRTL) listed piece of equipment, installed per
manufacturer instructions. That should have been the end of the story.
Maybe you just needed an NEC consultant to talk to the inspector ;-)

I don't know what his problem was.

There's a manufacturer's plate attached to the transformer housing
with all the information including power rating and temperature
rise above ambient. All the transformers made by them
are UL listed as well and the plate had that on it.

All he had to do is read it instead of causing a mini-crisis.

Yup, that was exactly what I was saying. Maybe that is why more places
are going to licensing and certification of inspectors. There were too
many old codgers who were making up rules as they went along.
Even in Florida, with a state wide unified building code, there are
still differences between how it gets applied across the state. Before
2002 it was really the wild west out there with 67 counties and 100+
cities making up their own rules. Contractors needed to do different
things, depending on which side of some streets they were on (city or
county rule)
That is why the State ran their own building department, so they did
not have to deal with a couple hundred different building departments.
The guys still had some flexibility in how they would read a state
wide plan (like the radio tower buildings on the interstates) but they
all complied with the NEC, unaltered and the SBCCI
building code suite.

On 10/14/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:46:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

My hunch (and based on my recollection of his attitude) is that this
particular inspector was trying to overstep the boundaries of his
authority. In every case I can remember when an inspection took
place it was for the service *to* the system and ended there.
They didn't try to apply their authority on the system itself.

I think that's why after we had our meeting about it he started
to back off and seemed somewhat embarrassed, especially when
I said if he felt it was unsafe I'd shut the system down and
remove the software in the PLC so it couldn't be run at all.

But he had fired up the interest in the "Captain", so it had to be
resolved to his satisfaction.

On 10/14/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:46:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2018 1:27 PM,

[...]

Heh. The town I live in is so small and rural that the building
inspector is shared with two other towns.

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 14:32:20 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2018 2:10 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 13:46:47 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2018 1:27 PM,
wrote:

[...]

That seems to be fairly popular. Some of my northern inspector friends
work more than one jurisdiction. I officially covered 4 counties and
unofficially 8.
Sarasota was not in my territory. I think they may have fired that guy
and filled in from the surrounding counties. They certainly took him
off the Ca D Zan project after one visit.

US - Betsy Gals II 2018005-09 Bob_R[_3_] Tall Ship Photos 2 May 14th 18 04:34 AM
Betsy MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 June 29th 11 02:12 PM
Hoods for LCD Displays Vic Fraenckel Cruising 5 May 16th 05 08:57 PM
Hoods for LCD Displays Vic Fraenckel Electronics 4 May 16th 05 08:57 PM
Hoods for LCD Displays Vic Fraenckel Cruising 0 May 15th 05 11:19 PM