BoatBanter.com

BoatBanter.com (https://www.boatbanter.com/)
-   General (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/)
-   -   A Church Dinner (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/180191-re-church-dinner.html)

Keyser Soze September 25th 18 01:40 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On 9/25/18 8:05 AM, True North wrote:
John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.


Gosh, I wonder if he ate rats, too. What a menu at the Herring household.

John H.[_5_] September 25th 18 01:59 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.


I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?

True North[_2_] September 25th 18 02:11 PM

A Church Dinner
 
John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:*

John H*
- show quoted text -*
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A*
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit*
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."*
*
*
*
*
Next time put your teeth in first...could help.*


"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I*
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"*



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


Keyser Soze September 25th 18 02:51 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On 9/25/18 9:11 AM, True North wrote:
John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.


"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


You didn't? Gosh, neither did I. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing
rodents for sale in the meat display case, nor do I recall eating
rodents. Must be a Missouri thing.

John H.[_5_] September 25th 18 03:52 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 06:11:11 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:*

John H*
- show quoted text -*
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A*
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit*
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."*
*
*
*
*
Next time put your teeth in first...could help.*


"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I*
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"*



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


Oh, I thought you were offering some experience-based advice. So putting your teeth in just helps
your general chewing?

[email protected] September 25th 18 04:00 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:51:58 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 9/25/18 9:11 AM, True North wrote:
John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.


"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


You didn't? Gosh, neither did I. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing
rodents for sale in the meat display case, nor do I recall eating
rodents. Must be a Missouri thing.


They have rabbit at the store some time.

Keyser Soze September 25th 18 04:03 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On 9/25/18 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:51:58 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 9/25/18 9:11 AM, True North wrote:
John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.

"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


You didn't? Gosh, neither did I. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing
rodents for sale in the meat display case, nor do I recall eating
rodents. Must be a Missouri thing.


They have rabbit at the store some time.


Not where I shop. :)

[email protected] September 25th 18 04:54 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:03:22 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 9/25/18 11:00 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:51:58 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 9/25/18 9:11 AM, True North wrote:
John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.

"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


You didn't? Gosh, neither did I. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing
rodents for sale in the meat display case, nor do I recall eating
rodents. Must be a Missouri thing.


They have rabbit at the store some time.


Not where I shop. :)


They used to have rabbit at the Giant. It was farmed but it was still
rabbit. Have you actually looked? It was in the freezer case with the
duck, goose and other non traditional American meat. It was a small
box, local from the Eastern Shore of Maryland as I recall. I never
liked farmed rabbit. It always had a "soapy" taste to me.

Bill[_12_] September 25th 18 05:24 PM

A Church Dinner
 
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 04:39:05 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:06:24 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 16:11:39 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:52:06 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
Whoever came up with that one has never bitten down on shotgun pellets
in a pheasant or quail!
.....

Or a rabbit

I never used a shotgun for rabbits, but I get your point.

===

.22 ?

That is pretty normal. I suppose you need a shotgun if the dogs are
running them by you but we usually "sniped" rabbits. We also walked
down quail and woodcock. Nobody could afford that kind of dogs. ;-)



We normally used shotguns for rabbits as we mostly at the duck club when
shooting rabbits.


We usually just let the rabbits run off when we were shooting birds.
Nobody wants to clean a rabbit you hit with a load of #8s and if you
didn't get enough pellets in one, it would not go down right away, if
ever. That is just unethical.
He wasn't going anywhere anyhow.
Go back an hour before dark and he will be hopping around. My scoped
Remington pump was great for that. At 40 yards or so from a sitting
hold, I could pretty much take a clean head shot every time. Poor old
Buggs never knew what hit him.
Made a nice side bar for the quail dish our host was making.
That was really the last times I was hunting (several seasons, just
outside of Berlin Md)
It was camping in a wooden tent (farm house with no power or running
water) and we were eating what we shot that day every night.
After that I started thinking other kind of hunting was just killing
things for the **** of it and I took up skeet pretty seriously.


The rabbits we had were mostly Jackrabbit. Not really edible, but a
nuisance to farmers.


Keyser Soze September 25th 18 05:50 PM

A Church Dinner
 
On 9/25/18 11:54 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 11:03:22 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 9/25/18 11:00 AM,
wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:51:58 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 9/25/18 9:11 AM, True North wrote:
John H

- hide quoted text -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 05:05:19 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

John H
- show quoted text -
"Never shot anything I didn't eat, or at least try to eat. Shot a ground hog once, in Missouri. A
boar. Dad cleaned and roasted it. We each took one bite. Chewed and chewed and chewed. Finally spit
it out and had PB&J sandwiches for dinner. Groundhog was tougher than a rawhide belt."




Next time put your teeth in first...could help.

"I was about 12 years old at the time. Hadn't started smoking yet, so didn't have teeth problems. I
suppose you've eaten some tender groundhog?"



Don't recall seeing that in the display cases at my local supermarket.


You didn't? Gosh, neither did I. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing
rodents for sale in the meat display case, nor do I recall eating
rodents. Must be a Missouri thing.

They have rabbit at the store some time.


Not where I shop. :)


They used to have rabbit at the Giant. It was farmed but it was still
rabbit. Have you actually looked? It was in the freezer case with the
duck, goose and other non traditional American meat. It was a small
box, local from the Eastern Shore of Maryland as I recall. I never
liked farmed rabbit. It always had a "soapy" taste to me.


Never noticed, never had an appetite for rodents.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2014 BoatBanter.com