Default Yo Tim...

On 8/7/2018 1:51 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2018 06:26:32 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 16:42:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 5:53:59 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
...wish I'd seen this video a few years back when I dropped the Mille at a MacDonalds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWpIKC_Br8

I saw a guy do that once because the kick stand collapsed, so he picked it up just to have it keel over the other side.....

I posted a video of that here a while back. Funny as hell, but I think the guy must have been drunk.

When I dropped mine, it dropped on the kickstand side. Whoops!

Harleys have a real bad habit of going over on the kickstand side if
you park in the grass. That is why guys carry a little block of wood
to put under the kick stand..

Any bike will tip over if the kickstand pushes through soft soil, even
my little 150 cc scooter.

The scooter gave me the itch though. Bought a used Suzuki C50T to ride
(drive?) :-} around on. Decent bike ... not anywhere near as heavy as
the last two Harleys that I had. This one weighs in at just about 600
lbs wet. The Harley's were about 900 lbs. It also has a lower CG.

wrote:

[...]

Congrats! Looks like a mean machine. Not wild about the style, but I'm just not a cruiser guy. What
year, how many miles...got a picture?

Should we open up the 'countersteering' discussion again?

wrote:

[...]

My superglide was a tad over 700 but some of that factory stuff was
gone. It never did have the crash bars, windshield bags etc.

wrote:

[...]

It's a 2008 with 16,000 miles on it. 805 cc. Not as big and heavy as
the two Harley Ultra Classics I had and the biggest thing I noticed
right away (besides the lighter weight) was the lower center of gravity.
Looks just like the image at the link (below) except it's a metallic
charcoal with black trim instead of all black. I also removed the
driver backrest which I didn't like. Mrs.E likes it because she can go
for rides with me once in a while. My brother has owned an older
version of the C50 (2004) and it has been trouble free in the 14 years
that he has had it.

https://latelifebiker.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/the-black-beauty-med.jpg

It doesn't have the "balls" that the Harleys had but it has more than
enough for me with my wife on board. Of course the Harley engines were
almost twice the size at 1584 cc and my last one was a 6 speed whereas
the Suzuki has 5. It's water cooled as well which I like.

I really didn't have any intention of buying another motorcycle but the
day I went to the dealer to pick up the little scooter I happened to see
this one sitting in the shop and it caught my attention. Went home,
rode the scooter around for a couple of weeks and decided to go back and
try out the Suzuki. They made me a offer that I couldn't refuse
so now I have both the scooter and the bike.

It's history is kinda funny. It was purchased new in 2008 by a guy in
his mid 40's. He recently moved to an apartment in Boston and didn't
have a place to easily store it so he traded it in on a scooter
identical to the one I bought for commuting in the city.

Tim Tim is offline

Aug 7Mr. Luddite
Any bike will tip over if the kickstand pushes through soft soil, even
my little 150 cc scooter.

The scooter gave me the itch though. Bought a used Suzuki C50T to ride
(drive?) :-} around on. Decent bike ... not anywhere near as heavy as
the last two Harleys that I had. This one weighs in at just about 600
lbs wet. The Harley's were about 900 lbs. It also has a lower CG.

Congrats on the C50. My next ride will probably be a 10+ year old Royal Star. In the trader pages, they’re plentiful and cheaper than reasonable.

wrote:

On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 5:53:59 PM UTC-5, John H wrote:
...wish I'd seen this video a few years back when I dropped the
Mille at a MacDonalds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyWpIKC_Br8

I saw a guy do that once because the kick stand collapsed, so he
picked it up just to have it keel over the other side.....

I posted a video of that here a while back. Funny as hell, but I
think the guy must have been drunk.

When I dropped mine, it dropped on the kickstand side. Whoops!

Harleys have a real bad habit of going over on the kickstand side if
you park in the grass. That is why guys carry a little block of wood
to put under the kick stand..

Any bike will tip over if the kickstand pushes through soft soil, even
my little 150 cc scooter.

The scooter gave me the itch though.Â* Bought a used Suzuki C50T to ride
(drive?) :-}Â* around on.Â* Decent bike ... not anywhere near as heavy as
the last two Harleys that I had.Â* This one weighs in at just about 600
lbs wet.Â* The Harley's were about 900 lbs.Â* It also has a lower CG.

Congrats! Looks like a mean machine. Not wild about the style, but I'm
just not a cruiser guy. What
year, how many miles...got a picture?

Should we open up the 'countersteering' discussion again?

It's a 2008 with 16,000 miles on it.Â* 805 cc.Â* Not as big and heavy as
the two Harley Ultra Classics I had and the biggest thing I noticed
right away (besides the lighter weight) was the lower center of gravity.
Looks just like the image at the link (below) except it's a metallic
charcoal with black trim instead of all black.Â* I also removed the
driver backrest which I didn't like.Â* Mrs.E likes it because she can go
for rides with me once in a while.Â*Â* My brother has owned an older
version of the C50 (2004) and it has been trouble free in the 14 years
that he has had it.

https://latelifebiker.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/the-black-beauty-med.jpg

It doesn't have the "balls" that the Harleys had but it has more than
enough for me with my wife on board.Â* Of course the Harley engines were
almost twice the size at 1584 cc and my last one was a 6 speed whereas
the Suzuki has 5.Â* It's water cooled as well which I like.

I really didn't have any intention of buying another motorcycle but the
day I went to the dealer to pick up the little scooter I happened to see
this one sitting in the shop and it caught my attention.Â* Went home,
rode the scooter around for a couple of weeks and decided to go back and
try out the Suzuki.Â* They made me a offer that I couldn't refuse
so now I have both the scooter and the bike.

It's history is kinda funny.Â* It was purchased new in 2008 by a guy in
his mid 40's.Â* He recently moved to an apartment in Boston and didn't
have a place to easily store it so he traded it in on a scooter
identical to the one I bought for commuting in the city.

How does your wife get up on that passenger seat? It looks pretty high up...

I had a Mini Cooper S with a smaller engine than the 1584 cc's in your
Harley...it was a 1275 cc and I think the entire car weighed about 1300
pounds...four speed tranny.

wrote:

[...]

metallic charcoal with black trim instead of all black.Â* I also
[...]

pounds...four speed tranny.Â*

It's not difficult for her. Like everyone does, I sit on the bike and
stabilize it with my legs and feet. She just steps on the passenger
foot rest peg and climbs on, swinging her leg over the back rest. Not
unlike mounting a horse. :-)

The rear seat on this one is actually lower than the rear seat the Ultra
Classics had.

The Mini Cooper S I had (a 2008) had the 1.6L turbo engine (1600 cc).
Six speed manual but weighed considerably more than yours. It was a
fun car (made by BMW) but a little too small for longer range driving.
It also had an mild but annoying torque steer
when you accelerated quickly. I bought it in 2010, drove it around for
a year or so but decided to get rid of it before it started needing
parts or service. The closest dealership that worked on Mini's was in
Boston and I didn't feel like having to drive there just to have service
done on it. Not many garages work on them so you are stuck with
dealerships for anything other than oil and filter changes.

wrote:

[...]

1300 pounds...four speed tranny.Â*

It's not difficult for her.Â* Like everyone does, I sit on the bike and
stabilize it with my legs and feet.Â* She just steps on the passenger
foot rest peg and climbs on, swinging her leg over the back rest.Â* Not
unlike mounting a horse.Â* :-)

The rear seat on this one is actually lower than the rear seat the Ultra
Classics had.

The Mini Cooper SÂ* I had (a 2008) had the 1.6L turbo engine (1600 cc).
Six speed manual but weighed considerably more than yours.Â*Â* It was a
fun car (made by BMW) but a little too small for longer range driving.
It also had an mild but annoying torque steer
when you accelerated quickly.Â* I bought it in 2010, drove it around for
a year or so but decided to get rid of it before it started needing
parts or service.Â* The closest dealership that worked on Mini's was in
Boston and I didn't feel like having to drive there just to have service
done on it.Â*Â* Not many garages work on them so you are stuck with
dealerships for anything other than oil and filter changes.

The BMC dealer in KC handled Minis in the 1960s, when I had mine. MGs.
Healeys, Minis...et cetera. Mine had pull cords in the doors instead of
door handles on the inside. It was a pretty simple and sturdy little car.

wrote:

[...]

than enough for me with my wife on board.Â* Of course the Harley
[...]

about 1300 pounds...four speed tranny.Â*

[...]

service done on it.Â*Â* Not many garages work on them so you are stuck
with dealerships for anything other than oil and filter changes.

The BMC dealer in KC handled Minis in the 1960s, when I had mine. MGs.
Healeys, Minis...et cetera. Mine had pull cords in the doors instead of
door handles on the inside. It was a pretty simple and sturdy little car.

The original Mini Cooper is cool but it's a death trap, especially for
rear seat passengers, much like the original split window VW buses were
for the driver and front seat passenger. Vehicles like them could never
be produced today.

I had a '65 split window VW bus for a while. Looked good but it needed
more work to the suspension than I was interested in having done. A
car/motorcycle nut guy saw it, wanted to buy it but ended up trading a
fully restored 1974 Norton 850 Commando for it. I had ridden a Norton
750 Commando earlier in my past but quickly realized that a Norton is
a young man's motorcycle, not for a middle aged plus old fart like me.
Plus, having the rear brake on the left side and the shifter on the
right was too confusing, being used to Harley's at the time.