BoatBanter.com

-   -   Grinder and a Tula bullet (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/179781-grinder-tula-bullet.html)

[email protected] August 3rd 18 08:46 PM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

Here you go.
Yes I could get some sparks using a grinder but no I was not able to
even singe a paper shop towel. It was nowhere even close to burning.
The dark smudge is lead.
I understand "My range My rules" and I wouldn't have it any other way,
even to the point of offending Harry.
If you could have a friendly conversation I would suggest a test. Get
a handful of miscellaneous pulled bullets, some BiMetal, some gilding
metal. Start dropping them on the concrete and challenge the guy to
tell you which ones sparked. I bet he won't beat the statistic
probability.

[email protected] August 3rd 18 09:08 PM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 15:46:46 -0400, wrote:

Here you go.
Yes I could get some sparks using a grinder but no I was not able to
even singe a paper shop towel. It was nowhere even close to burning.
The dark smudge is lead.
I understand "My range My rules" and I wouldn't have it any other way,
even to the point of offending Harry.
If you could have a friendly conversation I would suggest a test. Get
a handful of miscellaneous pulled bullets, some BiMetal, some gilding
metal. Start dropping them on the concrete and challenge the guy to
tell you which ones sparked. I bet he won't beat the statistic
probability.

Sorry, here is the link

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Grinder%20a...a%20bullet.wmv

John H.[_5_] August 4th 18 11:18 AM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 15:46:46 -0400, wrote:

Here you go.
Yes I could get some sparks using a grinder but no I was not able to
even singe a paper shop towel. It was nowhere even close to burning.
The dark smudge is lead.
I understand "My range My rules" and I wouldn't have it any other way,
even to the point of offending Harry.
If you could have a friendly conversation I would suggest a test. Get
a handful of miscellaneous pulled bullets, some BiMetal, some gilding
metal. Start dropping them on the concrete and challenge the guy to
tell you which ones sparked. I bet he won't beat the statistic
probability.

You should call Sharpshooters and tell them they're full of ****. Would be a big help if they
changed their policy. And call the local NRA range also. They disallow steel core ammo.

[email protected] August 4th 18 05:20 PM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

On Sat, 04 Aug 2018 06:18:50 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 15:46:46 -0400, wrote:

Here you go.
Yes I could get some sparks using a grinder but no I was not able to
even singe a paper shop towel. It was nowhere even close to burning.
The dark smudge is lead.
I understand "My range My rules" and I wouldn't have it any other way,
even to the point of offending Harry.
If you could have a friendly conversation I would suggest a test. Get
a handful of miscellaneous pulled bullets, some BiMetal, some gilding
metal. Start dropping them on the concrete and challenge the guy to
tell you which ones sparked. I bet he won't beat the statistic
probability.

You should call Sharpshooters and tell them they're full of ****. Would be a big help if they
changed their policy. And call the local NRA range also. They disallow steel core ammo.

Like I said "my range, my rules". I still bet it has more to do with
backstop damage. Just looking at the shape of those sparks, that metal
is harder than I expected. There could also just be some prejudice
against Russia and China where most of this steel ammo comes from.

John H.[_5_] August 4th 18 10:57 PM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

wrote:

[...]

Well dammit, call 'em and get the answer!

[email protected] August 5th 18 12:11 AM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

wrote:

On Fri, 03 Aug 2018 15:46:46 -0400, wrote:

Here you go.
Yes I could get some sparks using a grinder but no I was not able to
even singe a paper shop towel. It was nowhere even close to burning.
The dark smudge is lead.
I understand "My range My rules" and I wouldn't have it any other way,
even to the point of offending Harry.
If you could have a friendly conversation I would suggest a test. Get
a handful of miscellaneous pulled bullets, some BiMetal, some gilding
metal. Start dropping them on the concrete and challenge the guy to
tell you which ones sparked. I bet he won't beat the statistic
probability.

You should call Sharpshooters and tell them they're full of ****. Would be a big help if they
changed their policy. And call the local NRA range also. They disallow steel core ammo.

After what I sa with my grinder, I don't blame them but I still think
the real reason is backstop damage. I sent them an Email. Let's see
what they say. Poking around on the web site I also saw the banned
rifles. The 30-06 just seems to be a guideline. They get more specific
about calibers and muzzle velocities later on down. That is most
certainly based on what they think they can stop without backstop
damage.
I really only chipped mine with 2 things, a 44mag out of a carbine
(pistol was OK) and a particularly hot .357 round I worked up (125 gr
Super Vel bullet going 1725 FPS on my chronograph). I never really
shot a rifle round in there tho. I am not sure I would want to. The
..44 was oppressive enough, actually worse than a 12 ga.

Keyser Soze August 5th 18 12:45 AM

Grinder and a Tula bullet

wrote:

[...]

I believe the MSAR range near Andrews allows any caliber rifle on its
50-yard indoor range. It says this about ammo:

No Steel Core, Incendiary, Tracer, Exploding or Tipped Ammunition
of any kind is permitted on the premises. If you are found in possession
with any of the ammunition listed above, you will be fined a minimum
repair fee of $20.00!