Default My merc 85 is questionable.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 20:45:58 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 12:35:42 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

2:18
On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 11:08:00 -0700 (PDT), Tim
Are you sure you even need the long shaft. Most of the toons I see
around here use a short shaft and mine is mounted 4" above stock.
The only place I have trouble is it can blow out on a tight turn if I
have it trimmed up too much.

,,, oh yes. I’m pretty sure. I’ll send a pic to Eddie. How’s that?

Sure. He doesn't tell me about all of the posts tho. I will be sure to
ask him about it.

I looked at the pictures and I bet you will be fine with a short shaft
on that boat
Optimally the anticavitation plate will be riding at or slightly
below the bottom of the motor pod skid. Yours appears to be 6" below
that.
The skid does seem to be at about the water line based on the mark on
the toons. A heavier motor will even make that lower. The water tends
to well up between the toons at speed so that effective water line is
even higher but it still ends up being the bottom of the motor pod
skid.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Tim%20boat.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/motor%20bracket.jpg

You can see I added 4" to my motor pod transom board to get the motor
up even higher.

The more motor you have in the water, the more drag you are pushing
against. As I say the only problem is you can starve the prop on a
very hard turn if you are going fast, If you are slow enough so it
squats in the turn there is no problem. It is also only on a very hard
turn up on top. You may not go that fast anyway ;-).

Old merc 40 (4hp). [email protected] General 0 May 12th 08 04:30 AM
Merc 5.0: Not run since '02 Boater1953 General 4 March 27th 07 12:15 AM
200 Merc DOA blair Power Boat Racing 1 June 8th 05 06:54 AM
Merc 9.9 STILL not right Lloyd Sumpter General 2 July 4th 04 05:53 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM