Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Safe to start motor out of water?

On Wednesday, April 19, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Kyle D. Ross wrote:
Hello, folks.

I have a Bayliner Jazz with Mercury SportJet engine. The last time I had it
in the water, it would not start. I took it to a local boat shop, and they
replaced some sort of ignition module, and said it is fixed.

I can't get it to a lake just yet to give it a test. Is it safe to start
the motor just for a few seconds without water? I just want to verify that
it does indeed start.

Your help is always appreciated.

-- Kyle D. Ross

First off, no it isnt okay to run ANY out of the water even for a few seconds. There maybe a few that can stand it, but what Can and MAY happen is; For those with an outboard type unit, the water pump, which is rubber, being turned inside of the metal housing with no water for lubrication has its "ears" torn off. Now it wont pump water for squat. It wont hurt the engine to not have water cooling it for a few seconds.
Next would be the "jets". If they are using any type of Cutlass bearings, which are rubber sleeves inside a bronze tube, the same thing happens. Try getting your skin super clean with alcohol, then taking a metal rod and twisting it against your skin. Watch it grab your skin and try to lift it around the rod.
I have been working on jets since they first came to America (which was the Buhler) and outboards for almost as long.

Just when I thought it was safe to get into the water... True North[_2_] General 43 June 22nd 14 07:56 PM
good safe day on the water bob General 8 June 3rd 12 09:49 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water..... D-unit General 2 June 6th 07 09:52 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to go in the water..... Chuck Gould General 0 June 6th 07 03:53 PM
Converting pull cord motor into an electric start motor OldReliable General 1 December 18th 06 06:25 AM