Default A knock on the door ....

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:06:51 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/24/2018 12:16 PM, wrote:

Hitler and Mussolini had one thing in common. They wanted to restore
their country to it's prior glory. Hitler just wanted to reach back 50
years or so, Il Duce was looking back more like 1900 years.
It is always a popular position to hold tho, if your citizens feel
like they have been in decline. You only have to look at Putin's real
popularity. It is not likely to be the 80-90% he claims but 60-70% is
not unreasonable based on studies from outside Russia. His message is
popular there.

I watched the Netflix documentary series that John recommended and
learned. Learned a lot I never really knew about the years between the
two world wars, especially about the history of facist Italy in the
30's, Hitler's rise to power and his admiration for Mussolini.

I agree, seems Mussolini was intent on restoring the grandeur of the
Roman Empire, including the control of Greece. Hilter's goal was to
greatly expand Germany's territory. Both believed in a dictatorship.
Communism was regarded as a threat to both of them.

Stalin took advantage of the latter years and months of the war to
expand the influence of the Soviet Union in a huge way.

Stalin believed in the previous rules of war, that you got to keep
everything you took. It was America in the post WWII era that advanced
the idea that we were just liberating, not conquering that continent.
Previously we kept pretty much everything we took too.
It was really a concept lost on most of the world. That conquest idea
is what caused virtually all of the problems since WWII.
UK pretty much started ceding it's empire back to the natives after
that and avoided a lot of problems by doing it. France didn't and got
their ass kicked out of North Africa.
Their refusal to give up Indochina led to the Vietnam war.
We are still living with the eastern european invasion of Palestine,
the last crusade.

Horrifying 'Knock knock' joke John H.[_6_] General 0 August 26th 08 08:27 PM
Knock, knock? Islander General 10 November 22nd 06 03:30 PM
Knock, Knock JohnH General 0 February 28th 06 07:49 PM
Knock About Day Thom Stewart ASA 2 March 18th 05 11:02 PM
Don't Knock the Trolls! Bobsprit ASA 1 May 9th 04 08:16 PM