Default Why I don't fly commercial anymore

Its Me wrote:
On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 9:05:00 PM UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/17/2018 7:37 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 15:04:22 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

What's up with all these jet engines exploding or disintegrating in flight?

Seems like there's a report of a failure about every month.

Reminds me of a visit I made to the Pratt & Whitney jet engine plant
in West Palm Beach years ago. I was given a tour of the facility
and in one room a group of people were sitting at tables inspecting
turbine blades used in the engines. The Pratt engineer
I was with explained that they were all blind and inspected the turbine
blades for imperfections by feel. He said their sense of "feel" was
greatly enhanced due to their loss of sight.

You have to wonder if they are ingesting small birds or other foreign
objects that ding up a blade without breaking it and then it goes
later. They said they just inspected that plane recently for bad
turbine blades.

Could be. The foreign objects could be small rocks or debris on the
runways. Airports are so busy now-a-days I wonder about the general
maintenance runways get.

Having worked in many airports on the ramp level (which required going
through a training class and being badged at each airport), I can tell
you that they take FOD (Foreign Object Damage) very seriously.

I did not work often on the flight line, but we all got FOD training. Plus
not to write with a lead pencil on the airplane. made a battery.

wrote:

[...]

I didn't actually work on the flight line, but in many cases I had to pass through restricted areas including the flight line, so the badge and training were needed.