Default Fleet Broadcast

Old TTY test messages to test comm gear back when Navy
ships had sails. :-)

If your never heard a Mod 28 teletype running at 100 words
per minute, here's your big chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN0w8Em3Frg&app=desktop

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 17:38:12 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Old TTY test messages to test comm gear back when Navy
ships had sails. :-)

If your never heard a Mod 28 teletype running at 100 words
per minute, here's your big chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN0w8Em3Frg&app=desktop

We had a couple of IBM guys who were using TTY on their Ham gear.
It was a hobby that never grabbed me although I was tempted when my
code was good enough to get a basic ticket and the GI bill would pay
for some of the stuff. Now I struggle with SOS ;-)

On 3/5/2018 7:49 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 18:36:45 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

Old TTY test messages to test comm gear back when Navy
ships had sails. :-)

If your never heard a Mod 28 teletype running at 100 words
per minute, here's your big chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN0w8Em3Frg&app=desktop

We had a couple of IBM guys who were using TTY on their Ham gear.
It was a hobby that never grabbed me although I was tempted when my
code was good enough to get a basic ticket and the GI bill would pay
for some of the stuff. Now I struggle with SOS ;-)

Let's see if this works. Try going here and see if you can copy it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-702129253/morsecode

Not a clue, I picked out a few letters but I couldn't get it to play
again. I may play with it again later. 50 years ago I would have been
all over that but there are quite a few things I could do 50 years ago
that I struggle with now ;-)
We had to do 6 wpm to get out of boot camp and I was around the RMs at
the Bainbridge NTC who were tapping things out on the table everywhere
they went but I never did it again.
Does anyone actually use morse these days?

I think HAM radio guys still use it. The Navy stopped teaching it in
RM"A" school in the mid 70's I think. We had to use it once on one of
the ships I was on because a radio watchstander accidentally shredded
the crypto block setups. Had to wake up the 'ol RM Chief since he was
the only one proficient enough to copy and send. I think some in the CT
(spook) rate still learn it for eavesdropping purposes. Used to call
them "diddy whoopers". I had to learn it when I was in and at one time
I could copy almost 20 WPM but no more.

Here's what I recorded and put on the Soundcloud site. It was at 10 WPM::

--- -.- --. .-. . --. ... . . .. ..-. -.-- --- ..- -.-. .- -. -.-.
--- .--. -.-- - .... .. ... .-.-.- .. - .. ... --- -. .-.. -.-- .-
- .---- ----- .-- --- .-. -.. ... .--. . .-. -- .. -. ..- - . .-.-.-
... .... --- ..- .-.. -.. -... . -.. ..- -.-. -.- ... --- ..- .--.
..-.-.-

wrote:

[...]

I just looked at the tabs on the Nav Aids to see what the code we were
sending. Probably still used as identifiers on a lot of airplane
navigation aids.

On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 01:16:12 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

[...]

===

A lot of marine nav aids use morse identifiers also, as do many FM
repeater stations of various types. Many of you probably remember "SW
Tom" who used to post here until 'Airree drove him off. Tom can copy
40 WPM in his head.

---
http://www.avg.com

Tim Tim is offline

Mr. Luddite

Old TTY test messages to test comm gear back when Navy
ships had sails. :-)

If your never heard a Mod 28 teletype running at 100 words
per minute, here's your big chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN0w8Em3Frg&app=desktop

I hat is way neat. From what I can remember they had those at Fort Carson Colorado but I never heard one light off. I remember the distinct “hump” of one on standby though. Now the local radio station had one several years ago hooked up for UPI news. It didn’t work but about half that speed.

On 3/5/2018 6:16 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite

Old TTY test messages to test comm gear back when Navy
ships had sails. :-)

If your never heard a Mod 28 teletype running at 100 words
per minute, here's your big chance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN0w8Em3Frg&app=desktop

I hat is way neat. From what I can remember they had those at Fort Carson Colorado but I never heard one light off. I remember the distinct “hump” of one on standby though. Now the local radio station had one several years ago hooked up for UPI news. It didn’t work but about half that speed.

Most of the newspaper TTY's were 60 words per min. The military
versions ran at 100 words per min. If parts weren't snugged down nice
and tight they would self-destruct.

Imagine a tiny little radio shack with six or seven of these things
running 24/7.