Default Well, that was special ....

No power for the last 2 and a half days.

This area on the south shore of MA got hit hard with "Riley". Every
where you drive there are trees down on lines, cars, houses, power
poles snapped in half, transformers scattered. Major damage in some areas.

Just got power back an hour ago. Survived with my little generator and
a space heater in the bedroom. Didn't bother tying it into the furnace
this time. House was down to 38 degrees but bedroom was nice and toasty.

I think I am beginning to believe the climate change people are right.
Seems like the nor'easters we get now are stronger and more powerful
than I remember from past years.

Anyway, it's finally over. Gotta get ready for the next one late next
week. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

Glad to hear you survived and that your Honda 2000 did the trick. My new one is sitting in it's box in a back room in case we get another outage.
You called it right for Halifax region. We received stiff winds but that was all considering all the hyperbole from the tv weather people. I might take our Springer Spaniel down to one of the south shore beaches to see if the waves are impressive.

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:

No power for the last 2 and a half days.

This area on the south shore of MA got hit hard with "Riley". Every
where you drive there are trees down on lines, cars, houses, power
poles snapped in half, transformers scattered. Major damage in some areas.

Just got power back an hour ago. Survived with my little generator and
a space heater in the bedroom. Didn't bother tying it into the furnace
this time. House was down to 38 degrees but bedroom was nice and toasty.

I think I am beginning to believe the climate change people are right.
Seems like the nor'easters we get now are stronger and more powerful
than I remember from past years.

Anyway, it's finally over. Gotta get ready for the next one late next
week. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

Youse guys need a road trip.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

On 3/4/2018 10:09 AM, justan wrote:
"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:

No power for the last 2 and a half days.

This area on the south shore of MA got hit hard with "Riley". Every
where you drive there are trees down on lines, cars, houses, power
poles snapped in half, transformers scattered. Major damage in some areas.

Just got power back an hour ago. Survived with my little generator and
a space heater in the bedroom. Didn't bother tying it into the furnace
this time. House was down to 38 degrees but bedroom was nice and toasty.

I think I am beginning to believe the climate change people are right.
Seems like the nor'easters we get now are stronger and more powerful
than I remember from past years.

Anyway, it's finally over. Gotta get ready for the next one late next
week. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

Youse guys need a road trip.

Check out the flooding in Quincy:

https://tinyurl.com/y89cyky4

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:

No power for the last 2 and a half days.

This area on the south shore of MA got hit hard with "Riley". Every
where you drive there are trees down on lines, cars, houses, power
poles snapped in half, transformers scattered. Major damage in some areas.

Just got power back an hour ago. Survived with my little generator and
a space heater in the bedroom. Didn't bother tying it into the furnace
this time. House was down to 38 degrees but bedroom was nice and toasty.

I think I am beginning to believe the climate change people are right.
Seems like the nor'easters we get now are stronger and more powerful
than I remember from past years.

Anyway, it's finally over. Gotta get ready for the next one late next
week. Hopefully it won't be as bad.

Youse guys need a road trip.

Check out the flooding in Quincy:

https://tinyurl.com/y89cyky4

Nessie found a new home.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:

[...]

Jokester on Facebook. There's one of those huge, emergency alert poles
with multiple sirens and speakers to warn of issues with the nuke plant
in Plymouth or other dangers located about 2 miles from us ... or it
was. It also came down in the storm and made a huge mess all over the
road. Some gusts were recorded at over 100 mph which isn't unusual in
hurricane prone areas but for areas that are rarely hit with winds that
strong they can do a lot of damage. Nature's way of clearing of old
growth and structures I guess.

Our former house in Duxbury lost a bunch of of roof shingles. Feel bad
for the owner but glad I don't have to pay to repair or re shingle.:

https://tinyurl.com/yccdknlz

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:

No power for the last 2 and a half days.

This area on the south shore of MAÂ* got hit hard with "Riley".Â* Every
where you drive there are trees down on lines, cars, houses,Â* power
poles snapped in half, transformers scattered.Â* Major damage in
some areas.

Just got power back an hour ago.Â* Survived with my little generator
and
a space heater in the bedroom.Â* Didn't bother tying it into the
furnace
this time.Â* House was down to 38 degrees but bedroom was nice and
toasty.

I think I am beginning to believe the climate change people are right.
Seems like the nor'easters we get now are stronger and more powerful
than I remember from past years.

Anyway, it's finally over.Â* Gotta get ready for the next one late next
week.Â* Hopefully it won't be as bad.

Youse guys need a road trip.

Check out the flooding in Quincy:

https://tinyurl.com/y89cyky4

Nessie found a new home.

Jokester on Facebook.Â* There's one of those huge, emergency alert poles
with multiple sirens and speakers to warn of issues with the nuke plant
in Plymouth or other dangers located about 2 miles from us ... or it
was.Â* It also came down in the storm and made a huge mess all over the
road.Â* Some gusts were recorded at over 100 mph which isn't unusual in
hurricane prone areas but for areas that are rarely hit with winds that
strong they can do a lot of damage.Â* Nature's way of clearing of old
growth and structures I guess.

Our former house in Duxbury lost a bunch of of roof shingles.Â* Feel bad
for the owner but glad I don't have to pay to repair or re shingle.:

https://tinyurl.com/yccdknlz

I don't know if it's true but I heard insurance companies in Florida
won't insure a house with a roof over 15 years old.

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:

[...]

I wonder how long it will be until the southern building code becomes
universal. I am sure it is not lost on insurance companies that these
storms are more common that they have admitted ... and then there is
that global warming thing.
You may not end up with the whole thing but building to a 100 MPH code
may make more sense than the current 70-80. This is a log curve so the
first 20-30 MPH is not as expensive as getting to the 160-170 we have
here. It could be little things like more nails in the shingles, no
staples and the secondary membrane under them. Maybe add some kind of
clips on the trusses instead of just toe nailing them into the top
plate. (even the little "twisties" have a lot of uplift protection).
Your framers will need to buy "positive placement" kits for their nail
guns tho.