Default Dogs, was taxes

On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 19:22:11 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 1/9/2018 6:59 PM, wrote:

I have a can of "behavior modification spray" that looks about the
same. I never even tried it. I am not sure if it was just a noise
maker or if it was some kind of nasty chemical but Deuce punched a
hole in it. He was still playing with it when I found him.

Mrs.E. used to use "Bitter Apple" spray on the paddock fencing to stop
her horses from chewing on the rails. Took about a week but they got to
really like the taste and chewed more.

My wife tried some of the "THUM" stuff that you paint on baby's thumbs
to discourage thumb sucking and Deuce was following her around looking
for more. This guy is a handful but a few things are going right. He
will walk with me in the woods and stay right with me so that is our
routine when he needs to go out. I have about 400 feet of power line
behind the house with water on 3 sides so we have it to ourselves and
we walk up and down that several times a day. The right of way is
about 100 feet wide with steep banks on both sides so we have the best
part of an acre to run around in. It is more mowing for me tho. It is
a jungle going the other way and I am not messing with that.
He is completely house broken but he still had problems taking things
that do not belong to him although the only thing he will actually
chews up is little pieces of paper and plastic cups. The cups are our
fault. We let him have plastic bottles when he was a pup. I guess he
is still a puppy at 8 months old but he is 85 pounds so it is easy to
forget.
The biggest problem is "distractions". If he sees other people or
other animals he is going over there and nothing will stop him. I
tried a shock collar and it makes him jump but it does not make him
forget about whatever he is going to see. I am hoping he just outgrows
that or at least calms down a bit about it.

Default Is everybody happy with they new tax law

On 1/9/2018 5:52 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:55:20 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 1/8/2018 10:07 PM,
wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 19:47:56 -0500,

wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 19:29:11 -0500, Alex wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 22:35:27 -0500, Alex wrote:

amdx wrote:
and hey, how about the stock market?

I should do well under the new tax law, looks like I'll qualify for
the pass thru, knocking off 20% of my business income from being taxable.
and a Standard deduction of $24k, what's not to like.
I'll will lose two child deductions, but I would have lost one
anyone, she's getting married.

Mikek
My 401K hit seven figures shortly after President Trump was elected and
has grown even more. I'll have to see how it affects my paycheck. The
new rates won't be active until next month. If this continues I might
be able to retire at 55!

===

I've been moving into more conservative, and more diversified assets
in anticipation of a market pull back. I'd suggest keeping your job a
bit longer if you enjoy what you're doing. Inflation becomes a real
risk once you stop working.

---
http://www.avg.com

I'm realistically looking to retire by 60. I've got a few IRA's and
some non-retirement investments, too. I don't want to have to watch the
market all the time to feel comfortable.

Investing new money is challenging right now with the market so high.
I'm looking more and more at real estate.

===

I like real estate because it offers some protection against
inflation, and it offers an opportunity to use leverage effectively.
Managing rental property requires a fair degree of skill and effort
however.

Renters are generally a pain in the ass. It takes a special
personality to be a landlord. The only way I would do it is with an
agent and hold the property as an LLC. I did look into it when we were
trying to buy the house next door but I made up my mind I would have
just used it for my shop. The house was and still is a tear down but
there is some old nasty woman renting it. I doubt she has made a dime
in the last 2 years still trying to get the money back it took to make
it livable. She paid 100k for it and probably has another 100k in it
renting for $1300 a month.

Investing $200,000 on 1-1-17 in VTSAX would have returned $43,000 or
$3500 a month, plus another $6804 during the first 5 business days of
2018. ie, the stock market is hot!
And no maintenance, rent collection problem or property taxes.

===

You might want to look at PRGTX also. I like it because it gives me
some international exposure and a well diversified tech portfolio.
Admittedly it is somewhat higher risk and with higher management fees,
but I keep it at less than 10% of my overall holdings.

I have minor exposure to international through one of the Vanguard
funds, VWILZ, I just checked it, wow, it grew over 36% in 2017!
I have paid no attention to it, it is part of my wife's IRA, thanks
for bringing my attention to it.
Also, it looks as though they closed PRGTX fund to new investors.

Mikek

amdx wrote:
[...]

I hadn't realized that, a victim of its own success I guess.
Tim Tim is offline

Mr. Luddite
That reminds me. Mrs.E. has been trying to convince me to get another
dog since Sam Adams left. I don't want another dog. After the latest
encouragement to get one, I sent her this:

https://tinyurl.com/y7fpxvaf

And it looks like it’s endorsed by Eddie!

On 1/9/2018 10:38 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
wrote:

amdx wrote:
[...]

Probably fetch more rent were it not located next to a disreputable tiki
bar...

Now it is disreputable?

Drinking, dancing, nude swimming, dogs ...

Sounds great, except for those damn dogs! :-)

amdx wrote:
and hey, how about the stock market?

I should do well under the new tax law, looks like I'll
qualify for
the pass thru, knocking off 20% of my business income from
being taxable.
and a Standard deduction of $24k, what's not to like.
I'll will lose two child deductions, but I would have lost one
anyone, she's getting married.

Mikek
My 401K hit seven figures shortly after President Trump was
elected and
has grown even more.Â* I'll have to see how it affects my
paycheck.Â* The
new rates won't be active until next month.Â* If this continues
I might
be able to retire at 55!

===

I've been moving into more conservative, and more diversified
assets
in anticipation of a market pull back.Â* I'd suggest keeping your
job a
bit longer if you enjoy what you're doing.Â* Inflation becomes a
real
risk once you stop working.

---
http://www.avg.com

I'm realistically looking to retire by 60.Â* I've got a few IRA's and
some non-retirement investments, too.Â* I don't want to have to
[...]

Drinking, dancing, nude swimming, dogs ...Â*Â*

Â*Sounds great, except for those damn dogs!Â*Â* :-)

Sure does. About a half dozen of our near-neighbors have pools but
hardly anyone uses them...so try as I might, I never see any nude
swimming. On the other hand, one near neighbor has an elaborate pond
system which he used to keep stocked with koi. But the fish kept
"disappering." I had a trail camera I loaned him and, lo and behold, it
turned out the neighborhood raccoons were fishing there at night.
Without licenses, no less.

amdx wrote:
[...]

No doubt the same coons you attract to your yard with chicken feed.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

amdx wrote:
[...]

Voyerism doesn't seem to be working for you. Poor baby.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:

Sure does. About a half dozen of our near-neighbors have pools but
hardly anyone uses them...so try as I might, I never see any nude
swimming.

Harry goes whale watching in his neighborhood.

amdx wrote:
and hey, how about the stock market?

I should do well under the new tax law, looks like I'll qualify for
the pass thru, knocking off 20% of my business income from being
taxable.
and a Standard deduction of $24k, what's not to like.
Â* I'll will lose two child deductions, but I would have lost one
anyone, she's getting married.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â* Mikek
[...]

Many people do well with real estate, but if you buy rentals you are
buying a job. 20 some years ago I had 5 rentals, I did well with them,
but when I moved out of state I sold them all, and at 62 I have zero
interest being on call to do repairs or maintenance.
Mikek